Perfect thermal/night vision host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect thermal/night vision host

Curious what your opinion is for the perfect night vision/thermal host?

Depends on what your hunting.

Comment

Budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

L3Harris GPNVG paired with an iRay Rico HD RS75

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
          L3Harris GPNVG paired with an iRay Rico HD RS75
          A man of means and fine taste.

Comment

OP are you talking "host" as in gun setups?

Comment

tagged

Comment

ar platform in whatever caliber you feel is adequate ...

but if this thread is going to become another caliber pissing contest, then i'll just go with a GE minigun M134 and get it over with ...

Comment

I think an AR is best for night huntin with thermal or night vision. For the simple fact that you can keep your target in the scope for follow up shots on pigs or lets say you miss a coyote, wound it or have multiple coyotes you need to keep track of. You never have to lose sight of stuff with an AR.

I'd go as far as to say it's the best choice for hogs there is.

Comment

Yes I assumed host meant firearm an optic rests on.

Say $1500 or so.

Yes I assumed semi auto would be the ticket and full auto better but even a transferable Ruger 556 is $15k.

Not as worried about the brand on AR but rather caliber, barrel length etc.

Comment

That FNAR that’s been camping out in the classifieds…..

Comment

Overall cost, bullet size, and accuracy I would lean toward the 7.62x39. CMMG makes a really nice one. It holds you under 150 yards or so, but usually with thermal you can close to that distance pretty easy. There are times I wish I had it on my 308, but when I get in a big group pigs and empty a 20 rd clip+, I'm glad it is on the 7.62x39.

Comment

Suppressed Faxon boltgun in 8.6 BLK

Comment

For hogs and varmints it’s hard to beat a well equipped AR10 if you can handle the weight. 243 or 308

On the lighter weight side a 6.5 grendel or 7.62x39.

I’ve ran all these and the large frame guns were worth the extra weight for the additional power you gain in knockdown. But it does get old carrying them lol.

If shooting single animals the AR15 is what I’d recommend. Lighter and you can take your time.

If shooting large groups of hogs I’d go AR10. When they get to running you’ll appreciate that extra thump the bigger guns offer.

Running suppressed or not is another part of the decision. Bigger guns bigger boom. Run a can and it doesn’t matter.

In short…. run an AR10 suppressed on a quality tripod and be happy.

Comment

Before I just into my first suppressor the AR 10 was perfect for hogs. However, after throwing an extra 1lb on the end plus the weight of a night vision optic I bailed and got the 300blk pistol.

Comment

Working...
                              X