Clear All

Originally posted by mkk View Post
    What bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mostly 55 grain 5.56 soft tips.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
      Mostly 55 grain 5.56 soft tips.
      With good shot placement you will be fine. Now there are better options IMO but it will get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
        With good shot placement you will be fine. Now there are better options IMO but it will get the job done.
        Ya, I may order some heavier grain bullets for hunting and specially Hogs.

Comment

Ya, I may order some heavier grain bullets for hunting and specially Hogs.
          I shoot Frontier 223 55gr hollow points and hit the hogs hard. I've been pleased with them.

Another round that I have used that worked well on hogs were the Hornady Full Boar.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
            I shoot Frontier 223 55gr hollow points and hit the hogs hard. I've been pleased with them.

Another round that I have used that worked well on hogs were the Hornady Full Boar.
            Thank you!

I have some Frontier Soft Tips but haven't seen any hollow points. Do you have a link for the ammo you mentioned?

Thanks again!

Comment

I mounted my thermal reflex sight to my bow. It was surprisingly easy to get sighted in out to 40 yards and have done quite a bit of shooting with it. My groups are actually better than with my traditional sight. Took it out one night trying to do a spot and stock on a hog but was only able to get within 70 yards before the wind switched. Im planning on sitting over a feeder when I get some time to see if that will be more successful. Anyone else out there interested in or tried hunting with a thermal on a bow?
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you!

I have some Frontier Soft Tips but haven't seen any hollow points. Do you have a link for the ammo you mentioned?

Thanks again!

This is what I have but hollow point not FMJ.

Looks like lower on the page they have the hollow point in 55 and 68gr.

Last edited by Bazo; 01-19-2023, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                  Can’t begin to count how many hogs I’ve killed with my .22-250 and 55-gr ballistic tips or my .223 and 55-gr bullets. The big thing is bullet placement and I shoot ‘em in the ear hole and it’s down right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones_Jones View Post
                    I mounted my thermal reflex sight to my bow. It was surprisingly easy to get sighted in out to 40 yards and have done quite a bit of shooting with it. My groups are actually better than with my traditional sight. Took it out one night trying to do a spot and stock on a hog but was only able to get within 70 yards before the wind switched. Im planning on sitting over a feeder when I get some time to see if that will be more successful. Anyone else out there interested in or tried hunting with a thermal on a bow?
                    WOOOOW. Never knew that existed. I’m interested in that. What do they go for?

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
                      WOOOOW. Never knew that existed. I’m interested in that. What do they go for?
                      I think the whole setup ran me about $2200.

Comment

holosun is coming out with a red dot fusion thermal device ... i wonder how well they will work ... a long long time ago i had a holographic bow sight that was awesome .. bushnell i think , it had the 2 circles to line up and make sure you were not torquing in any way ... now fast forward to today and put these new holosun on a crossbow and it's pretty much game over ... all it takes is money!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                          Can’t begin to count how many hogs I’ve killed with my .22-250 and 55-gr ballistic tips or my .223 and 55-gr bullets. The big thing is bullet placement and I shoot ‘em in the ear hole and it’s down right there.
                          boy you ain't kidding ... took the new sfar out this weekend .. big boar came out early .. 60 yards away ... 150gr nosler bal tip 308 ... like a dumb as$ i aimed at the shoulder.. what was i thinking? he was massive and muscular... smacked hard .. he bolted .. not a drop of blood .. never found it .. oh i'm sure he's dead somewhere ... at least that saved me having to drag him ...

learned my lesson , same night , later after dark .. another group at another feeder ... sneak to 80 yards ... placed it on front of shoulder in neck area .. pop! dropped like a stone ...

conclusion .. can't think deer hunting when hog hunting. shot placement is different ... just because you have a bigger caliber doesn't mean it's always going to do the job ... as in dropping it drt ...
                          Attached Files

Comment

I like the base of the neck/in front of the shoulder placement too.

.223 55gr hollow point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome thread!! So, I need to outfit my new friend with thermal optics and could use some recommendations….

.300 Blk, AR platform (suppressed)
                              Longest spotting range will be 200yds, but 99% of shots will be under 120yds, with the vast majority of shots within 50-75 yds
                              Minimum of 2.5hrs of battery life
                              Needs to support multiple reticle/trajectory calibrations (ie super & sub-sonic)
                              Within $4k….
                              I don’t really care for the riflescope style… but not totally against it.
                              Would Love something in dark drown to match rifle

Comment

Originally posted by okiepighunter View Post
                                jason please update us from shotshow on what trijicon comes out with!!!! hopefully something with 18650 batteries
                                Nothing improved. Just the same thing they've been doing since they bought out IR Defense in 2015.....new exterior, same old guts and image quality. They're a good company but they've essentially given up the civilian thermal hunting market. You can get optics for half the money with the same or better image quality and much better warranty and service. Sad but true.

Comment

Working...
                                X