Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to know about hunting Thompson Temple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I need to know about hunting Thompson Temple?

My son and I are booked for the days before Christmas. I've never been in this kind of hunt. We are hunting a $500 ram. Should I expect lots of walking? Packing the animal out? Stand sitting or spot and stalk? What is his lodging like? I really have no idea what to expect. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a hammer

Comment

A knife. Stand hunting and lots of animals. Just take your time and pick out a nice one. They will take you to and from the stands.

Comment

Fill your pockets with feed and they will walk right up to you.

Comment

Thompson doesn't turn many rams loose in the main pasture anymore at the risk of loosing them. Most everything is put in the "mountain pasture", which is a small corner of the ranch separated from the rest.

There's not a level spot in that area, so spot and stalk can be challenging, especially if you're bow hunting. However, if you sit in the gazebo, just up the hill from the trailer house, you can wait for them to come to feed at the bottom edge of the mountain pasture. It's about a 90 yard shot and isn't much of a challenge with a rifle. I do know a couple yahoos who have made the shot with a bow.

Comment

It can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Easy would be sit in the Gazebo, harder would be hike up the Bighorn Mountain and hunt the back of the Ranch.If you shoot one back there, pack out is required. Most of the time Thompson can help you get it out. Lodging is ok, but is a bargain as any other lodging is Miles away. Myself and my Wife did fine in the Mobile Home with several other people in our group. Thompson is as honest as they come, and will do his best to make you happy. I took a real nice Texas Dall several years ago and my Wife a really nice Corsican Ram
            Last edited by MtnMike; 11-28-2022, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Like others have said, it can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Lodging is NOT a 3 Star stay, but a place to lay down and sleep.
              You can stand hunt or spot and stalk. I've done both and had success. I have taken 4 rams, corsican, merino, mouflon, and dall, and had a blast at every trip

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                Take a hammer

Comment

Well, How did your trip go? did yall harvest some good ones

Comment

Originally posted by 4R Daddy View Post
                    My son and I are booked for the days before Christmas. I've never been in this kind of hunt. We are hunting a $500 ram. Should I expect lots of walking? Packing the animal out? Stand sitting or spot and stalk? What is his lodging like? I really have no idea what to expect. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I am going back to Thompson's with a Group in Mid-June 2023.

Comment

What are the chances of seeing hogs?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                        What are the chances of seeing hogs?
                        If you hunt the gut pile, close to 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                          Thompson doesn't turn many rams loose in the main pasture anymore at the risk of loosing them. Most everything is put in the "mountain pasture", which is a small corner of the ranch separated from the rest.

There's not a level spot in that area, so spot and stalk can be challenging, especially if you're bow hunting. However, if you sit in the gazebo, just up the hill from the trailer house, you can wait for them to come to feed at the bottom edge of the mountain pasture. It's about a 90 yard shot and isn't much of a challenge with a rifle. I do know a couple yahoos who have made the shot with a bow.
                          -->YAHOO<---
                          So its been 5 years since my last hunt out there. Has anyone taken a longer shot?

Originally posted by Fig View Post
                          If you hunt the gut pile, close to 100%.
                          AGREED!!

Comment

would love to hunt out there.

Comment

Wouldn't eat one form there. Most probably just came in on a trailer from the sale barn and are full of wormer.....

Comment

Working...
                              X