No announcement yet.

Grapevine Hunting 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I parked under the 377 bridge to scout in September. Took the road down to river west of 377 and Austin left me a note saying I was not allowed to park there and they were going to be blocking off the road. First year hunting here is that the only boat ramp?

Comment

Originally posted by easttex4 View Post
      I parked under the 377 bridge to scout in September. Took the road down to river west of 377 and Austin left me a note saying I was not allowed to park there and they were going to be blocking off the road. First year hunting here is that the only boat ramp?
      Sounds like this Austin cat just wants to make it as hard to hunt the vine as he can! Not worried about all the BS that goes on down there just worried about the hunters taking their cameras down dumb *** rule and parking that road is harmless. I think the vine is coming to an end soon it is ran by the government or he hunts it himself. Probably the case!

Comment

Originally posted by skelsey View Post
        Sounds like this Austin cat just wants to make it as hard to hunt the vine as he can! Not worried about all the BS that goes on down there just worried about the hunters taking their cameras down dumb *** rule and parking that road is harmless. I think the vine is coming to an end soon it is ran by the government or he hunts it himself. Probably the case!
        Have you been to the office? Manpower is an issue, they certainly don’t Have the amount of folks they need to manage all of the land. Not only that, but they aren’t any kind of enforcement agency, either local PD or TPWD game wardens/peace officers can “police” them so to say.

The office is on the message board here and they do read it, but I’m pretty sure they would rather not have to go around and look for rule breakers. Any public land is only as good as the ****tiest person that uses it, there are far worse places nearby that grapevine.

I’m super grateful to have a place 15 minutes from the house where I can take my son out. I’ll trade picking up some trash I see or leaving better than I found it for the issues that seem to come up.
        Last edited by JD81; 11-16-2022, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Well this morning I had somebody on camera at almost 2am this morning spot lighting the hogs I had on camera minutes prior. Pretty sure they shot one because I have a photo of it appearing to be limping off.

Comment

Last night, I came out and bumped into a nice buck with a doe. I stood in front of them with my headlamp for 5 minutes. He was a nice buck!

I went out midday today and walked around. I setup 3 times and did rattling sequences. The third spot I rattled in a descent buck. He was upwind and couldn't see or smell anything so he hung up then walked off. He got to about 40 yards. He wasn't a giant but a nice buck. Cool encounter. Checked a few cams and bucks running does. We are definitely in the middle of it!

Comment

Make sure to post coordinates for all the lurkers!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                Make sure to post coordinates for all the lurkers!
                32.9607079, -97.3081666

Happy Hunting!

Comment

Grapevine Hunting 2022-2023

That used to be a solid dove hunting field years ago [emoji23].

This one’s GREAT tho!

32.9753062, -97.0706024

Comment

Hunters, parking always seems to brought up. We only have a few parking spots that are actually located on USACE property. 1) knob hills trail head off Hwy 377 2) Dunham road aka cross timbers trail head (long walk for deer hunting but easy access for pig only portion 3) Trophy Club Park boat ramp, but please remember its a boat ramp, so do not park in a spot designated for vehicles with boat trails if you don't have one. Any other spots are at your own risk, but if its a legal parking spot then it should not be an issue, you can always ask local PD. As far as the trail beside the RR tracks, that did not exist before the train derailment, 2017ish. The rail road company never blocked it off after using it for repair. And our property is 70yards give or take from that road/RR track intersection. So we say don't go down that road because that is technically trespassing across private property. And we don't allow vehicles off roadways, that is not a roadway. If you are not aware sooner or later HWY 377 is going to get expanded and we plan to make the knob hills trail lot larger, which you can park now at then walk under 377 its not that far. We are also looking at adding an access on South end near bobcat if possible with the expansion.

Hope ya'll are having a good season and get some meat for freezer and something to brag about, but to bad there are not deer at the vine! Happy Thanksgiving and stay safe .

Comment

I accidentally walked in on someone in a tree. Sorry for that. But if you go deeper from where you are you will find what your looking for. Busted 4 on the way in 2 does and 2 bucks in a group. In a pop up now w my daughter.

Comment

Someone was successful. Not us. But congratulations to the guy who was.

Comment

Good luck! Had an awesome morning in the lake Tuesday with some birds. A ton out moving. Dropped 4 for the morning. Can’t wait to get back out in the big water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s gonna be cold in the morning. I can’t wait and dread it all the same!

Comment

Originally posted by Grapevine USACE View Post
                              Hunters, parking always seems to brought up. We only have a few parking spots that are actually located on USACE property. 1) knob hills trail head off Hwy 377 2) Dunham road aka cross timbers trail head (long walk for deer hunting but easy access for pig only portion 3) Trophy Club Park boat ramp, but please remember its a boat ramp, so do not park in a spot designated for vehicles with boat trails if you don't have one. Any other spots are at your own risk, but if its a legal parking spot then it should not be an issue, you can always ask local PD. As far as the trail beside the RR tracks, that did not exist before the train derailment, 2017ish. The rail road company never blocked it off after using it for repair. And our property is 70yards give or take from that road/RR track intersection. So we say don't go down that road because that is technically trespassing across private property. And we don't allow vehicles off roadways, that is not a roadway. If you are not aware sooner or later HWY 377 is going to get expanded and we plan to make the knob hills trail lot larger, which you can park now at then walk under 377 its not that far. We are also looking at adding an access on South end near bobcat if possible with the expansion.

Hope ya'll are having a good season and get some meat for freezer and something to brag about, but to bad there are not deer at the vine! Happy Thanksgiving and stay safe .
                              How can we all help? What does it take to add parking areas? Many **** and moan about The Vine and the Corp offices regarding hunting the Vine. I’m guilty of it. I started hunting there in 2004 when tags were as easy as walking up to the office in Lewisville, at the time. Honestly though…. How can we as hunters assist the in these efforts for more parking? Money? Man power? Both? What’s needing to be done? I’m willing to bet just the folks on this site could gather some manpower and even some to help knowing it’d go directly to additional parking.

Comment

Good morning duck hunters. I hear you’re doing well this morning ��

Comment

Working...
                                X