No announcement yet.

Making fishing lures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have not tried making my own yet, great job!

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
      Those have a lot of thump when you reel them in, almost like a spinner bait. I catch more reds on those in a black and white than any other lure I make. In the spring they don't seem to like the thump as much though, so I use the smaller ones till June or so.
      Do they make a smaller one with ribs? Do you straight reel them or pop them a little like any paddle tail.

They should be on glass minnows and such in the spring mostly so smaller profile makes sense.

Comment

My ribbed paddle tail mold is a 3'5'', they make a 3''. I like the skinny paddle tail mold I have now, it's just a preference. I fish shallow a lot so I can see how they react when I swim something past them, that determines how I work it. Mostly I just straight reel them and let the tail work. If I'm throwing a curl tail, I'll hop it around a lot. My paddle tail molds are Do It Essential Series molds. 3.5 Ripper and the 3.5 Slick Shiner. Hope that helps.

Comment

My ribbed paddle tail mold is a 3'5'', they make a 3''. I like the skinny paddle tail mold I have now, it's just a preference. I fish shallow a lot so I can see how they react when I swim something past them, that determines how I work it. Mostly I just straight reel them and let the tail work. If I'm throwing a curl tail, I'll hop it around a lot. My paddle tail molds are Do It Essential Series molds. 3.5 Ripper and the 3.5 Slick Shiner. Hope that helps.
          Thank you. It is mainly out of curiousity since I have no plans for pouring my own.

Comment

I picked up these two new molds from Barlows Tackle online for $8 and $9 each. One is a three inch shrimp and the other is a 5" finesse worm. These are open pour silicone molds that are cheap and pour a nice lure. If someone was interested in pouring some cheap baits these are a good start.
            Thanks Kevin, those look great.

Comment

I picked up these two new molds from Barlows Tackle online for $8 and $9 each. One is a three inch shrimp and the other is a 5" finesse worm. These are open pour silicone molds that are cheap and pour a nice lure. If someone was interested in pouring some cheap baits these are a good start.

On open pour molds are they flat on one side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes they are. Like a Trick Worm. To get a round worm you need to use injection molds.

Comment

Made a few new worms the other day. I'm really liking the silicone mold worm. It's basically a Trick Worm copy. Also some flat worms. These are an amber/ motor oil color.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by kevin nicholls; 03-27-2022, 06:18 PM.

Comment

And some black and blue stick worms, finesse worms and lizards.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by kevin nicholls; 03-27-2022, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Got some cool new pigments finally. This is called changeable motor oil. It's green until light hits it and then it gets a brown color. Like looking into a bucket of 40wt.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is no light behind it. It looks green.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Same lure with light in the back. Pretty cool. I've got another pigment but haven't had a chance to mix it up yet. My wife got a rescue dog that is cutting into my alone time lol.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Motor oil is a cool color! Your work is awesome as usual!!

Comment

They look great. Motor oil color changing is cool feature.

Comment

Well Kevin, I finally got around to painting a few today. There is a learning curve for sure.

Could be cheap gun could be me. Biggest thing I learned was you either need 23 spray guns, or you need a plan of what you're painting. I changed paint colors at least a dozen times which means going from garage to kitchen to rinse

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X