The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by makotex View Post
    I wish it had a manual focus. Fixed focus at 3.5x base mag or I would’ve already ordered one. Interested to hear what Jason says about them as well
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In for Jason's feedback as well, this is more within my budget. I don't know a lot about any of them, I'm just taking y'all's words on the manual and fixed focus.

Comment

Good catch on the fixed focus. Of course we want the best of both worlds........ We want it to not cost as much but function as best it can. I will say this, this appears to be the same hardware as the Axion XM30 in a thermion housing which means a much larger objective lense. I am constantly focusing my Axion XM30 so I can ID animals as far as possible. Hopefully the larger objective lense on the Thermion will make this a non factor however I work the focus on all the other thermions I have used to get the best picture possible so maximize the range of the scope so I am not optomistic but hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
        Make that three thermals I've owned with fixed focus. You just reminded me that I owned a PTS 233 as well.

Think of adjustable focus on a thermal like adjustable parallax correction on a day scope. Day scopes that have fixed focus are set by the manufacturer at the range they think most people will use them. It's a total non-issue for most shooters. Thermal is basically the same story.
        Have you used a Thermion? Not being a smart *****, legitimately asking the question. It would seem that something is different about the Thermions that need it to be focused more. To your point I remember Jason saying on an old late night vision show that on the trails, you could set the focus and it woul be good for 50 yards to (if my memory serves me correctly) 400 yards which is pretty impressive so in that instance I would agree with your statement. My only point is that there seems to be something different about the thermions that needs a focusable objective lense. I know I work mine quite a bit in my XP50 and my buddies XG50 to get the best picture possible so we can make sure we are ID animals accurately so we dont make a expensive mistake.
        Last edited by Fordnandez; 01-12-2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Looks like a full review on The Late Night Vision Show this Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
            Have you used a Thermion?
            I have the same as you: XP50.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
              I have the same as you: XP50.
              I work the focus on mine quite a bit but I am also trying to capture the best video quality........ maybe it is just my eyes lol.

Comment

Have you used a Thermion? Not being a smart *****, legitimately asking the question. It would seem that something is different about the Thermions that need it to be focused more. To your point I remember Jason saying on an old late night vision show that on the trails, you could set the focus and it woul be good for 50 yards to (if my memory serves me correctly) 400 yards which is pretty impressive so in that instance I would agree with your statement. My only point is that there seems to be something different about the thermions that needs a focusable objective lense. I know I work mine quite a bit in my XP50 and my buddies XG50 to get the best picture possible so we can make sure we are ID animals accurately so we dont make a expensive mistake.
                On the xm50 I used over new years I set the focus once because it was way outta whack at beginning of the night and didn't touch it again. The fixed focus doesn't scare me off of it if detection range is 1500 or so yds is all I want and need.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I work the focus on mine quite a bit but I am also trying to capture the best video quality........ maybe it is just my eyes lol.
                  That's the kicker. I don't care about video quality if I can tell it's a pig and shoot it is all I really want.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                    Pulsar just dropped the Thermion XM30 this maybe the new conteder for the entry level market guys it looks like. And it includes video recording and all the fun stuff the big boy thermions have at $2300.

You got to play with one of these yet Jason? How does it compare the the hogster 35?

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/collec...32632890720330

Well I ended up ordering this and should be here today. Jason and Hans have the review out on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                      Well I ended up ordering this and should be here today. Jason and Hans have the review out on YouTube.

Not my cup of tea. BUT, this looks to be a great entry level thermal for alot of people.

320 core, but I love the 3.5 x initial zoom

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                        Not my cup of tea. BUT, this looks to be a great entry level thermal for alot of people.

320 core, but I love the 3.5 x initial zoom

Well I’m new to this game and was having a hard time deciding what to get at a price I could afford. Hopefully this is my cup of tea.

Comment

Well I’m new to this game and was having a hard time deciding what to get at a price I could afford. Hopefully this is my cup of tea.

If you have never used thermal before, you will love it!

As time goes on and you see other scopes, you may wanna upgrade. Just be prepared lol

I see it all the time

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            If you have never used thermal before, you will love it!

As time goes on and you see other scopes, you may wanna upgrade. Just be prepared lol

I see it all the time
                            I totally agree with this. Unfortunately, I used a Trijicon Reap 60mm for my first to ever look through so I had to go with a 640 resolution. I've heard the buy once, cry once and now that the money's gone, I don't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiederhold View Post
                              I totally agree with this. Unfortunately, I used a Trijicon Reap 60mm for my first to ever look through so I had to go with a 640 resolution. I've heard the buy once, cry once and now that the money's gone, I don't regret it.
                              100% agree! I also run a Reap as my first ever thermal and haven't looked back since. And haven't upgraded scopes like most of my buddies

Comment

Does he compare this scope to the Hogster or just the original Core?

Comment

Working...
                                X