No announcement yet.

Ever heard of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleep apnea Is a real issue with some folks. And a C-Pap helps one get a restful nights sleep and DOT is definitely cracking down on the CDL holders. I don’t understand the reason why someone fights the use of a C-Pap they work why not use them. Maybe someone has a good reason not to use a medical devise to get a good restful nights sleep.

Comment

This better be a grandfathered in type of deal or we gonna lose a lot of truckers.

Comment

Fat in the neck can cause your airway to become obstructed when you're asleep and all the muscles relax.

Comment

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
          17" girth? or length?
          A neck 17" long - that would earn you some unfortunate nicknames!

Comment

I just got my first DOT physical, and was worried about that. I'm 6'2", 400 lbs, but they didn't so much as measure my neck or even ask me how I slept. Guess I slipped through...

Comment

The sleep apnea thing with the physical as a "requirement" is a myth.
              No where in the DOT regs is it stated that a sleep test must be taken...I emphasize NO WHERE.
              It is an extra money making sideline for the companies that give DOT physicals as a downstream product from an in-advertant comment made about 10 years ago by some dufus in congress or the dot that the up tick in truck wrecks was being caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel, a by product of sleep apnea or driving too many hours per regulations.........the end result was that now drivers have electronically mandated log tracking and ...............some other idiot decided to make the statement about requiring sleep apnea studies included with a physical.
              NO RULES OR LAWS have been passed requiring it. The transportation department even sent out notifications to all licensed medical facilities stating that but they saw an opportunity and took it and ran with it anyway as a tool to MAKE MORE MONEY.
              Sleep studies aren't cheap and neither are sleep apnea machines and supplies. And they're all tied in together. And any HR people for a transportation company that says ''it's the law", doesn't know the law or hiring practices well enough of the DOT to have that job.
              And that's all I have to say about that...........

Comment

One last thing......if you're DOT PHYSICAL provider says you have to take it, the only reason you do is if you're at your company provided facility and they're paying for it.
                There are providers who don't ''require'' you to take it and I suggest you find one and use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Davoh View Post
                  I just got my first DOT physical, and was worried about that. I'm 6'2", 400 lbs, but they didn't so much as measure my neck or even ask me how I slept. Guess I slipped through...
                  No one wants to fight a 6'2 400 lbs person.

Comment

I'm 5'9", 175 lbs. Not exactly a chunky guy.

In 2016, I went to our clinic for lower back pain. While the PA was chatting with me, he asked if I snored. I told him that my wife had said that I had begun to snore more since I returned from Afghanistan earlier that year. He left the room saying he'd be right back.

He comes back a minute later with a tape measure, measures my neck, then inputs the measurement into an app on his phone.

I'm like, what the heck is he doing? Just help me with my back pain.

The app then tells him that I am a high risk for sleep apnea. Next thing he says is that he's referring me for a sleep study.

Study found moderate sleep apnea with 25.9 "events" per hour. And now I have a CPAP.

Somehow, the neck measurement can at least sometimes indicate potential sleep apnea.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
                      The sleep apnea thing with the physical as a "requirement" is a myth.
                      No where in the DOT regs is it stated that a sleep test must be taken...I emphasize NO WHERE.
                      It is an extra money making sideline for the companies that give DOT physicals as a downstream product from an in-advertant comment made about 10 years ago by some dufus in congress or the dot that the up tick in truck wrecks was being caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel, a by product of sleep apnea or driving too many hours per regulations.........the end result was that now drivers have electronically mandated log tracking and ...............some other idiot decided to make the statement about requiring sleep apnea studies included with a physical.
                      NO RULES OR LAWS have been passed requiring it. The transportation department even sent out notifications to all licensed medical facilities stating that but they saw an opportunity and took it and ran with it anyway as a tool to MAKE MORE MONEY.
                      Sleep studies aren't cheap and neither are sleep apnea machines and supplies. And they're all tied in together. And any HR people for a transportation company that says ''it's the law", doesn't know the law or hiring practices well enough of the DOT to have that job.
                      And that's all I have to say about that...........
                      This may all be true, I have no idea. What I do know though, and very well, is that sleep apnea can easily cause you to go to sleep behind the wheel and wreck yourself or someone else. I know this because I had some very close calls before I knew that I had it some 25 years ago. So maybe a test should be mandatory to get a cdl.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        This may all be true, I have no idea. What I do know though, and very well, is that sleep apnea can easily cause you to go to sleep behind the wheel and wreck yourself or someone else. I know this because I had some very close calls before I knew that I had it some 25 years ago. So maybe a test should be mandatory to get a cdl.
                        What the transportation industry doesn't need is more asinine government
                        oversight.
                        If you have a problem with falling asleep while driving then maybe thats a job you shouldn't do but to be mandated to take the test because you snore? Give me a break.

Comment

My sleep Dr. said 3 main things are typically the cause of apnea. I only remember 2 of them and 1 was a big neck, he measured mine, and the other is what I have which is a small airway

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                            No one wants to fight a 6'2 400 lbs person.
                            I will. Should be pretty easy after about 30 seconds of me bouncing around.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
                              One last thing......if you're DOT PHYSICAL provider says you have to take it, the only reason you do is if you're at your company provided facility and they're paying for it.
                              There are providers who don't ''require'' you to take it and I suggest you find one and use them.
                              Yeah, one of the other drivers goes to a non-company doc. CJ has an appointment with them today.

Comment

I have heard of it...being a flag......BUT!!! mines over 20" and no prob...My son is 16" and he's got SA and has to use machine just a little over 50 and been on machine about 10y

Comment

Working...
                                X