Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need recs- Caribou hunt before he's too old to do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
    Book a hunt with Jim Shockey, Jeremy. It will be unforgettable and top notch. Not sure on price but I bet he ain't cheap.
    I bet it isn't cheap either!

Comment

tagged as well!

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
        I emailed them. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
          I emailed them. Thank you.

Yes sir

Our haul road hunt was 100% DIY, hard as hell but successful making it one of the most rewarding hunts I’ve done
          As we left the area we talked to guys who had much easier success with fly in tactics into herd areas...probably was a $2k flight expense which would be worth it
          Good luck

Comment

a few of these websites don't list prices. what are they running for a carribou hunt in AK?

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
              Yes sir

Our haul road hunt was 100% DIY, hard as hell but successful making it one of the most rewarding hunts I’ve done
              As we left the area we talked to guys who had much easier success with fly in tactics into herd areas...probably was a $2k flight expense which would be worth it
              Good luck
              X2 our hunt was 100% a blast and rewarding, just me and my uncle spending time together, no guide to have to socialize with

We should almost think about doing a TBH group hunt , 6 guys can fit in a otter or beaver, 2 in a Cessna 206 float plane ( seems to be a bucket list hunt)
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-02-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I've hunted the Brooks Range and the 40 mile herd out of Chicken, AK. Used Brooks range Aviation, DIY, 7 day trip. Drive to pump stations #5, then 2 flights out to camp from Bettles and 2 flights back. In 2018, the cost was $2,800. I hunted boo last year, but my buddy owned the Super Cub and it was still $300/hour to operate. I worked with a guide down at Icy Bay this last September/October. He is a registered guide in the Brooks Range if you want his number. Problem with some of that northern area is the tundra, it's like walking on 3" of wet sponge, the tussocs suck too! The earlier you go the more mosquitos to deal with. Since he is older, might look at some river trips?? I love chasing caribou! I get to start chasing Brown Bears in a few weeks!

Comment

I'd be in on a group hunt. Might have to quit my job, but I'm about to retire anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                    Following along....this is a bucket list
                    Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                    It’s a bow hunters dream hunt!
                    At least the area we hunted, but they follow the herd migration
                    And our area was perfect for glass and stalk
                    I like it. My bucket list too!

Comment

X2 dream hunt.

Like peas and carrots, bowhunting and caribou just go together. Good luck OP, will be following your hunt.

Comment

Did a hunt two years ago with 40 mile Air out of Tok, AK. Wasn’t able to join the same group this past year but they went and had a great trip. Everyone got an animal both times. Can’t say enough good things about Leif and the operation they run. Simply phenomenal. Tok Air Service is another one to look at. Know some people who have hunted with them and they recommend them as well. Pm me if you have any questions.

Comment

Shockey's rate with the estimate of airfare and EVERYTHING is about $22K.

I found one for about $5k, but not sure the details. I'm supposed to call them on Monday.

It's crazy prices, considering I spoke with our outfitter for Africa and it's cheaper to fly there and kill a dozen animals than one caribou as it's looking.

Comment

This dang thread has taken me through the rabbit hole again, as about twice a year I dream of hunting Alaska and do a ton of research staying up all night. The problem with most these outfitters is they all have a bad review online if you look hard enough. The good ones do not need to advertise, they are booked way in advance.
                            That arrowhead outfitter looked legit on their website and social media that someone mentioned but man they have some horrible reviews. Lots of these outfitters are basically just charging you 3500-7k to take you on a little plane ride and drop you off where the animals are suppose to be. They are booking as many clients as possible and lots of them do not even live in Alaska.
                            This is the kind of hunt I want to do, don’t need a guide helping me, I just need someone to get me near the animals.
                            The 40 mile outfitter is very highly spoken of but booked years in advance from what I’ve read. It’s basically a lottery system to just get the opportunity to go with them.
                            Decisions decisions. Sorry for the rant, not trying to hijack. Hope you find the right outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                              This dang thread has taken me through the rabbit hole again, as about twice a year I dream of hunting Alaska and do a ton of research staying up all night. The problem with most these outfitters is they all have a bad review online if you look hard enough. The good ones do not need to advertise, they are booked way in advance.
                              That arrowhead outfitter looked legit on their website and social media that someone mentioned but man they have some horrible reviews. Lots of these outfitters are basically just charging you 3500-7k to take you on a little plane ride and drop you off where the animals are suppose to be. They are booking as many clients as possible and lots of them do not even live in Alaska.
                              This is the kind of hunt I want to do, don’t need a guide helping me, I just need someone to get me near the animals.
                              The 40 mile outfitter is very highly spoken of but booked years in advance from what I’ve read. It’s basically a lottery system to just get the opportunity to go with them.
                              Decisions decisions. Sorry for the rant, not trying to hijack. Hope you find the right outfitter
                              My first trip I did the same research, then worried, even worried during the trip , our air charter and hunt was very good, they put us in a massive amount of caribou, internet has plenty of trolls and muckrakers IMO

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                                My first trip I did the same research, then worried, even worried during the trip , our air charter and hunt was very good, they put us in a massive amount of caribou, internet has plenty of trolls and muckrakers IMO
                                Good point. Looking up who you went with now and they are not booking caribou hunts due to low numbers this year it says online. I do Like their style though and this is the kind of hunt I’m looking for.
                                I would Very much be in for a group TBH hunt. I may even talk to them about moose.

Comment

Working...
                                X