Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need recs- Caribou hunt before he's too old to do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need recs- Caribou hunt before he's too old to do it.

I was hoping to book a hunt through the DSC expo (which got cancelled) where I could actually meet outfitters etc...

I've got a father figure who's hit 70yo. He's in great shape, very active but he's not going to get any younger.

I've got to get a hunt booked. Cost isn't an issue. I'm paying for it. I just want a place that's going to give us a high shot opportunity.

Any info on hunting Alaska, Canada, migration time lines etc.... Outfitter recommendations with references would be appreciated.

I have to get this done.

We hunted a diy caribou hunt in the king salmon area of Alaska during September
    Tons of boo their. We had zero problems taking 4 big trophies between my uncle and I
    Booked it through a air charter company in king salmon sorry can’t remember the name
    Easy walking, and probably could have just sat in camp and shot out
    Take some light fishing gear as some lakes have decent fishing for pike and other fishing

Branch river charter
    Summer(:907) 246-3437 Winter 907) 248-3539
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-02-2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Following along....this is a bucket list

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
        Following along....this is a bucket list
        It’s a bow hunters dream hunt!
        At least the area we hunted, but they follow the herd migration
        And our area was perfect for glass and stalk

Comment

tagged. Also on the bucket list.

Comment

I've emailed a few random outfitters. I'll post them up after I get back.

Comment

In Alaska, generally speaking, you book an air service and they take you out to an area and drop you off. The hunt itself is DIY. A good air charter knows where the caribou are and drops you off in areas that are historically successful.

Also, there are two kinds of air carriers. The most common fly you out in Super Cubs which are very weight restrictive. But, some also use Dehavilland Beavers or Otters, which are less so.

I ran the numbers a few years ago and came up with about $5000 per man for Super Cub hunt with two people or the same for one of the bigger planes with 5-6 people.

I don't know a good air service, but that information is pretty googleable.

I have always wanted to go to the North Slope and hunt the 40 Mile Herd, and that is what I ran the numbers for. Other areas may be more or less.

Comment

I’m looking more towards Canada with a fully guided outfitter. This is kind of a one shot deal for whom I’m taking. I don’t want to cut corners. I want to make sure he can get his Caribou. Going in to do a DIY with no experience in that country is not something I’m willing to do for this first hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

following this

Comment

Following. Bucket list for me as well.

Bump for ya.

Comment

I believe the place I used back in 2004 for my caribou hunt is Adventures Northwest out of Yellowknife. We took a float plane from there to one of their camps. It was on Little Martin Lake if I recall correctly. They did a really good job from start to finish. There were 10 total hunters in camp each week with 5 guides for the group. They broke the area around the lake into 5 quadrants. Each party of 2 hunters drew a number and that is the area you were assigned day 1. After that, you move clockwise each subsequent day to the next quadrant. It seemed like a very fair way to do it. Each day you would leave the camp via boat and head to your assigned area for the day. The guide would take us to the highest spot in the area and from there the glassing began. Once caribou were located we had to decide whether or not we could get in front of them before they passed. Not an easy chore most of the time.

My understanding is that very few hunters, as a percentage, each year get to experience the migration like you see on Nat Geo. During our hunt we would see small groups of 2-20 moving through. One day, we didnt see any at all. One other thing to think about is whether Canada is going to allow out of country hunters to enter this fall and if so what the protocol will be. I have a moose hunt tentatively schedule for Sept but Im not holding my breath it will happen this year.

Comment

We specialize in providing our clients a once in a lifetime experience with unparalleled customer service. Originally founded in 1981, Arrowhead Outfitters has provided thousands of clients transportation in the Brooks Range of Alaska with a high success rate of harvest. Our new owners have taken Arrowhead Outfitters to new heights

Comment

Book a hunt with Jim Shockey, Jeremy. It will be unforgettable and top notch. Not sure on price but I bet he ain't cheap.

Comment

Look at mountain caribou hunts as well. Caribou are crazy expensive since a lot of areas are shut down. Another one is in Iceland, no migration price Is in line with others last time I looked.

Comment

I'm looking for 2022 to make sure I've got time to plan. This year I've got trips planned for Montana and New Mexico. 2023 We've book Mule deer and are about to sign our hunting contract for Africa.

Here's the people I've researched and e-mailed:

Hunt Alaska with the Pros! Exceptional Areas, Amenities and Experienced, Professional Guides.

Newfoundland woodland caribou hunting experience backed by experienced guides. Sou’wester Outfitting offers world class, fly-in, fair chase, no nonsense guided hunts from remote full service facilities situated in Newfoundland’s pristine interior.

I'll let y'all know what or if I get a response back.

Comment

Working...
                              X