Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
    We broadcasted the seed with a hand spreader in early March but we have literally had zero rainfall to help cover the seed. I'm sure some of the seeds have been covered by dirt but you typically won't see any of the native perennial grasses or forbs grow the first year or two, especially if there's no rain. We typically see a big response in grasses in the third year after broadcasting. I hope this helps.
    Did you happen to use a Scotts hand spreader? I'm planting my perennials this weekend with one. If so, what setting did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
      Did you happen to use a Scotts hand spreader? I'm planting my perennials this weekend with one. If so, what setting did you use?
      I used a handheld Chapin spreader that holds 25lbs at a time. Just make sure that you add some cat litter in with the seed as a carrier because those fluffy native grass seeds don't like to funnel properly.

Comment

I used a handheld Chapin spreader that holds 25lbs at a time. Just make sure that you add some cat litter in with the seed as a carrier because those fluffy native grass seeds don't like to funnel properly.
        Thanks. I got a couple of Scotts hand spreaders. i bought playground sand and the smallest pea gravel they had to experiment with binders, size and cost.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
          Thanks. I got a couple of Scotts hand spreaders. i bought playground sand and the smallest pea gravel they had to experiment with binders, size and cost.
          As a follow up, the pea gravel didn't work. It was too big and caused issues with the agitator. The sand worked pretty well. It was still finer than I like and if I could find coarser sand it would likely work a little better. But overall I was happy with the way it spread using the sand. It seemed to be cheaper at $5 per 50 lbs than cat litter. At least the cat litter I saw. Anyway, thanks for all of the help and suggestions.

Comment

We got 0.40in of rain last night. It's better than nothing but we are still 1.6in below average for the year. We need a good 2in soaker to get us caught back up.

The deer aren't hitting the protein very hard at all with all of the native vegetation starting to grow, which is great.

They should start trenching the pipe to the big pond over the next 2 weeks. Hoping we get it done soon so we can start filling up the big pond and buy some forage fish for our bass.

Comment

We got 0.40in of rain last night. It's better than nothing but we are still 1.6in below average for the year. We need a good 2in soaker to get us caught back up.

The deer aren't hitting the protein very hard at all with all of the native vegetation starting to grow, which is great.

They should start trenching the pipe to the big pond over the next 2 weeks. Hoping we get it done soon so we can start filling up the big pond and buy some forage fish for our bass.
              Congrats on the rain. Looks like we got skipped. I was really hoping for a little on the new food plots. We are seeing the same thing on our feed both corn and protein. Lots of native to eat.

I sure wish we could get a big 2-3 inch rain to fill the tanks. Our dozer made them bigger, I really want to get the "more water" in there!!

Comment

They are hitting the fortified cottonseed feed hard right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My Deer are as well, our area is so dry, rain looking good for this weekend,fingers crossed.

Comment

Are y’all still looking for a No Till Drill?

Comment

Originally posted by Droptine3030 View Post
                      Are y’all still looking for a No Till Drill?
                      Yes, always looking. Please send me a PM.

Comment

We got 1/2in of rain yesterday. Just north and east of us got over 1.5in. Hopefully we will get lucky one of these days and get some of the heavier stuff.

Comment

We got 1/2in of rain yesterday. Just north and east of us got over 1.5in. Hopefully we will get lucky one of these days and get some of the heavier stuff.
                          About what we got here in eastern Brown Co.
                          But thank goodness no hail
                          Same hopes. My tanks are pitiful.
                          BP

Comment

I know how you feel. Same for us, rains miss us & a few miles away get inches.
                            Good Luck on the next rain.

Comment

Water Well Update

All the pipe has been laid and they are pouring the foundation for the well house today. We are hoping we will start pumping water to the big pond within the next week or two.

Comment

All the pipe has been laid and they are pouring the foundation for the well house today. We are hoping we will start pumping water to the big pond within the next week or two.
                                CONGRATS! Wish we had ground water to do this.

Comment

Working...
                                X