No announcement yet.

Deer in a cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usually a week or so for me. I drain once a day and add ice keeping the meat covered, drains clear after a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
      I've gone two weeks. I normally go about a week.
      ^^6This. I've gone two weeks a number of times. Keep the ice fresh and the cooler drained.

Comment

Originally posted by Shortya View Post
        Skinned quarters go straight on the ice (and covered with ice) for me. I used to put in trash bags to keep "dry," until I was scolded by the owner of a very well know meat processing plant in Dallas that bags is the worst thing you can do for the meat. Harbors bacteria and doesn't allow air flow for proper aging. I must say my venison is much better tasting and the Mrs. no longer tastes the "gamey" taste she once did now that I have quit bagging the meat.
        Heard the same as above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Putting meat in trash bags, and then on ice in a bad idea. If you want to keep your meat dry. Freeze Milk Jugs or some other larger containers full of water(Gatorade jugs etc.)
        Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 11-25-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          Trash bags here. I’m not keen on the color ice/water turns deer meat. It may be fine but the color oooks me out.
          You mean venison tofu, yea I don’t get it. Treat it like you do any other meat, except the aging process does not necessarily benefit venison because of the lack of fat. If you butcher beef and place it on ice, I guess do the same with venison. If not then don’t ice venison, processors never soak them. You can soak it to try and make up for poor field care but man if taken care of properly it’s so unnecessary. There was someone making tofu jerky, I believe I seen it on this sight, and now every time I see one of these posts, I picture that in my head.
          Last edited by critter69; 11-25-2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Two weeks is my target usually unless I’m dropping it off because I can’t get to it myself.
            Two and a half is probably the longest it’s gone.

Comment

Usually min 2 weeks, went 6 weeks once. It was fine.

Comment

Two weeks here but normally shoot for 7-10 days

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  Trash bags here. I’m not keen on the color ice/water turns deer meat. It may be fine but the color oooks me out.
                  This. I’ve never had an issue. Don’t know how bacteria would grow if you cook it quick regardless of if it’s in a trash bag or directly on ice

Comment

Max 3 days for me. Prefer to hang it overnight if outside temperature allows and process the next day. Does the meat still have flavor after letting ice melt over it for 2 weeks? Just trying to figure out the purpose of "aging" it for 2 weeks.

Comment

not less than three or more than seven for me,, covered with ice and drain the water every day or so,,, the water helps draw the blood out,,, i know some will disagree but i have never had an issue or bad tasting meat done this way

Comment

I typically ice it and drain the water daily for 7-10 days. I’ve done less, and I’ve gone as long as 2 weeks. Everybody that “doesn’t eat venison” that has tried any I’ve cooked has loved it and changed their mentality about eating wild game. IMO, the worst thing you can do is gut a deer, hang it in a walk-in, then drop it off at a processor. Once again, that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                          This. I’ve never had an issue. Don’t know how bacteria would grow if you cook it quick regardless of if it’s in a trash bag or directly on ice
                          As bacteria grow they create toxins. Cook it and the bacteria dies but the toxins they’ve produced don’t go away.

Comment

Would y’all let ice melt over a high dollar steak?? Two 20lb bags of ice at the bottom of the cooler with the meat stacked on top. Put a rock under the end and open the drain. Moisture and heat are where bacteria grow, keep the meat dry and cool!!

If you need more ice, pull the meat out and put it on the bottom, rinse and repeat!
                            Last edited by cwbrown; 11-25-2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                              As bacteria grow they create toxins. Cook it and the bacteria dies but the toxins they’ve produced don’t go away.
                              How does bacteria grow if it is cooled quickly and what toxins grow?

Comment

Deer in a cooler

I usually go 3-7 days, but have left it 10 days with no problem. Just keep the water drained off. No bags.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X