Sam Houston NF 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CEO View Post
    Is it legal to drive and park down a highline on public?
    There’s a road on the east side that google maps will take you down that goes into a Highline. Literally has a stop sign, road name and everything. Isn’t on the MVUM though so I guess it’s a no go.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
      There’s a road on the east side that google maps will take you down that goes into a Highline. Literally has a stop sign, road name and everything. Isn’t on the MVUM though so I guess it’s a no go.
      First time I went to the Big Thicket, Google maps tried to have me drive through a guys pasture. We pulled up in what looked like a yard and people are looking at us like ***. Went ahead and did a u turn on that one

Comment

Had a land owner spot me in a tree stand (I was 167 yards away from the fence/Forest Service right of way) - he decided to run his atv (along with his sons) while yelling on the phone up and down the fence line.

I've had a buck on trail camera - and he spook'd while coming from his bedding to the clearing I was hunting cause of these guys. If my camera on my phone was working I would've recorded the event for the GW - but don't know how it would've mattered since the land owner could've said they were doing routine activities.

I'm gonna make it a point to take a deer in that area!...BTW, they were yelling while driving their atv's...hopefully I'm not just overthinking this!

Comment

That sucks, hide better next time and get him before this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang I’m salty just reading about it. Too bad you didn’t get a recording because Texas like most states have Hunter harassment laws. It’s a shame how petty people can get over other hunters. Good luck the rest of the season.

Comment

Hunted archery only section today, had three deer spooked by me by three bobcats. Pretty kitties on the hunt. Pretty neat to watch, even though they spooked the deer. Found fresh rubs and scrapes. Hunted Wednesday of last week also, north of Cagle. Found two lock on stands with climbing sticks. I’m sure they left them for this weekend youth hunt. They were side by side. I hope the kid got one today.

Comment

Thinking about hunting the sam today for the first time. I’m seeing on my OnX maps there are “safety zones” is there a minimum distance you have to be from these areas to hunt, or just not hunt within the borders?

Comment

Sunday was the best hunt I’ve had of the season. Had 3 different packs of hogs come through. Passed on them in hopes of getting a deer. Watched a doe for an hour out of range and had a shooter 10 point cross broadside through my shooting lane at 60 yards. Tried grunting but he either couldn’t hear me or was completely ignoring it.. headed out for a long sit early in the am

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                    Forgot to post on here. Got a doe this last weekend. Those swackers don’t play around.

Job well done Dan. Nice doe.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                      Job well done Dan. Nice doe.

Thanks man. How have you been?

Comment

Livin the dream. Fishing and hunting as much as I can. I hope you and the family are doing well. I haven't been to the Sam this year and probably won't, too busy with a deer lease and West Columbia. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Comment

Anyone seen any rutting in Big Sam? I've been up there a few times in the last 10 days and have seen none... I'm sure its over or tail end maybe but just wondered if others were seeing the same thing? Talked to my other hunting buddies up there and they've been seeing dink bucks but without does.

I am seeing scrapes....

Now gun season so that will def add to the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot1 View Post
                            Anyone seen any rutting in Big Sam? I've been up there a few times in the last 10 days and have seen none... I'm sure its over or tail end maybe but just wondered if others were seeing the same thing? Talked to my other hunting buddies up there and they've been seeing dink bucks but without does.

I am seeing scrapes....

Now gun season so that will def add to the pressure.

Had an old fart of a 5 point chasing some does on the 1st but since things warmed up they're all playing the nocturnal game.
                            I'm sure the startvof boomstick season didn't help either.
                            Last edited by arrowsmack324; 11-09-2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I’m hunting this evening. I found several fresh scrapes and some fairly fresh rubs on my way into the area I wanted to try. Based on past experience, they should be in the rut at this point of the season but with the heat, all the chasing may be happening at night.

Comment

I hunt a family place not too far from the Sam and they have scraped all over the same area from Oct 25 to Nov 1 like clockwork for the 10 years I've been hunting it. This year there is NO sign, it's very strange. They cleared 1000 acres nearby to build a neighborhood so we are seeing a lot more deer (most at night) than usual but odly no scrapes at all. I'm just going to atribute it to the 2020 effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X