Hard freeze and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
    Yes, keep pumps on all day and night. Your motors should detect below 38 degrees I think and automatically stay on. I have pool and spa heaters on also. I am considering all water features also.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Good idea on the heater, that’s the one thing I was thinking about but didn’t have a plan. Will just run the temp as low as possible so I don’t drain my propane tank.

Comment

Id suggest the no power route. Drain what you can and wrap other pipes.

Comment

I'm not a pool guy, but I think water feature will just cool the water faster and cause more freezing. I would run the pump less features, but call a pro or you may be facing $$$$ repairs. -5 is a totally different that 25.

I would cover pool if you have a pool tarp. That will help insulate

Comment

Mine automatically kicks on all three pumps when temps get near freezing. Praying we don’t lose power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            I'm not a pool guy, but I think water feature will just cool the water faster and cause more freezing. I would run the pump less features, but call a pro or you may be facing $$$$ repairs. -5 is a totally different that 25.

I would cover pool if you have a pool tarp. That will help insulate

The main reason to keep the water features running is to keep the water in the pipes moving, otherwise the pipes bust.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertx View Post
              The main reason to keep the water features running is to keep the water in the pipes moving, otherwise the pipes bust.

At -5 all you are going to do is super cool your water. I don't think that will work at these super cold temps unless you have a water heater

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I spoke to my pool builder this morning and he said that the computer takes over when the temps cross a certain threshold and I didn't need to do anything except to make sure that it is as full as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                  You can drain all the pumps and the tank that holds the filters if the power goes out. There are drains on all the pumps should be a black knob on the side if needed other than that run it 24/7
                  I had not even considered the power going out. But this is what I willd o in that event. I will drain the DE Filter which should release all water in filter and pipes. Thanks.

Comment

On water features, you can leave pump off and drain it. There are 2 drain plugs on the bottom. Basket housing and impeller housing. Open both

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                      So run water features too? I understand it, but I'm thinking I'll end up with one big ice feature and a lot of water not going through the pumps as it is suspended in ice!
                      A few years ago I turned on the water fall thinking I was helping to prevent the pipes from freezing in the rocks. All I did was create a huge chunk of ice out of the water fall and spent about 45 minutes breaking it all off. We just let the freeze protection mode run which is just a low rpm setting on the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                        Run all pumps 24/7 all you do.
                        This is what I do also

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                          I'm leaving my pump on and dropping one of those shipping shipping blankets over the plumbing in Rockport, hopefully that gets us thru.
                          I have some of those blankets also. I may throw that over all the equipment for the pool and yard fountain [emoji566].

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Lost water feature pump to freeze so far (took the pump out, drained and closed lines to it). Main pump and spa are on freeze control. Have a tarp over it with heat lamp to help, as we are expecting 0 Monday night. Times like these, glad we have insurance as this can wipe out filter, pumps, heater, etc.

Comment

Am I the only one that does this: I turn off the all pumps and release the pressure on the big filter. Without pressure in the pipes, the water can't crack the pipes.
                              Think of this guys, if you are running 24/7 and your electricity goes out, your pipes are fully pressurized and will burst. My way eliminates that possibility. Try it.

Comment

I drain my equipment and the pipe water level goes below ground level. If you do this make sure you hit all pumps, open pressure relief on filter and drain it, and don't forget the backwash line. I did this yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X