No announcement yet.

Lumber Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We hope to be building a home Summer of next year. I hope and pray material prices are lower, and that mortgage rates remain low at that time!

Comment

Was going to put a new floor on my lowboy today. $30 for a treated 2x10x16, I’ll wait a bit

Comment

Yes, I just bought lumber for a chicken coop build and raised garden beds. I won’t say how much I paid. But it was freakin ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Kmiles84 View Post
          Was going to put a new floor on my lowboy today. $30 for a treated 2x10x16, I’ll wait a bit
          Look around your area for saw mills that sell cut-up telephone poles, for trailer beds.

About 7-8 years ago, I put in a new bed on a 16' trailer for less than $150, and I will never have to replace that bed again. Prices have gone up, since then, but it is still probably a cheaper/better option than buying treated lumber, from a box-store.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
            And this as well.....it’s SUPPLY and DEMAND!

We are having a house built right now and I am so glad we decided to not go Cost Plus like so many people suggested. We’ve been under a Hard Cost contract with our builder since July. He showed me his invoice on just the lumber package and his cost was more than 35% higher than when he bid it. Lumber and windows are stupid crazy right now. He ordered our windows the first week of November and they aren’t even in production yet.
            You better hope your builder makes it to the end of your project. Then if he does hope he makes through warranty period. He is not very smart if he doesn't have a clause in his contract stating that once "x" amount of increase in material that cost is passed on to the buyer as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
              Hate to tell ya but been that way for about 8 months now. Take a look at the lumber stock futures and you’ll see the crazy spikes in prices steadily becoming the norm. Although I I don’t think I’ve ever seen OSB for $8 a sheet.
              I used to buy it for 4$ a sheet

Comment

Hold up a sec. Housing is "soaring" right now? But I thought the entire country is in poverty right now due to Covid and we need the government to help us out.

U.S. homebuilding and permits surged in December as historically low mortgage rates supported the housing market, but momentum could slow amid surging lumber prices and a shortage of labor.

Housing starts jumped 5.8% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.669 million units last month, the Commerce Department said on Thursday. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast starts would rise to a rate of 1.560 million units in December. Homebuilding increased 5.2% on a year-on-year basis. Starts totaled 1.380 million in 2020, up 7.0% from 2019.

Permits for future homebuilding accelerated 4.5% to a rate of 1.709 million units in December. Permits, which typically lead starts by one to two months, totaled 1.452 million last year, a 4.8% increase from 2019.

Single-family homebuilding, the largest share of the housing market, soared 12.0% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.338 million units. Single-family starts have increased for eight straight months.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/21/hous...mber-2020.html

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                  Metal is 30-40% and rumors of another big jump in a few months.
                  I can confirm this. My jaw dropped when I picked up a few sticks of 2" and 1" squared tubing from Triple S.

Comment

Yes this is killing me. I am currently having a pier rebuilt and a patio built on my house.
                    My pier price now compared to the price 3 years ago is double when it comes to the cost of lumber.
                    You are to the point where composite wood (plastic wood) is about the same price.

Comment

What makes me wonder about the covid excuse is that hardwood hasnt increased. (much smaller market of course)

Im paying the same as 2019 for hardwood. Good plywood is up a bit(baltic birch etc) but thats it.

I hope it doesnt impact that too bad.
                      Last edited by mmoses; 01-25-2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I have 3 lots to build on, I am scared to see what the lumber package is going to be!

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                          You better hope your builder makes it to the end of your project. Then if he does hope he makes through warranty period. He is not very smart if he doesn't have a clause in his contract stating that once "x" amount of increase in material that cost is passed on to the buyer as it should be.
                          Lumber, house pad, windows, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, insulation, drywall, propane tank and several other items were all considered “hard costs” and contract line items...held for a 4 month timeframe. If we had not been able to proceed with the build on our end within that 4 month period he could have and obviously would have re-quoted.
                          Other items, like the selection stuff (i.e. appliances, countertops, cabinets, tile, flooring, lighting, etc) are line items with certain built it allowable “allowances” that we select based on budget.
                          My builder is a top notch guy....and he will be fine. He just obviously won’t be making the margins that he had planned on our home.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                            Yes this is killing me. I am currently having a pier rebuilt and a patio built on my house.
                            My pier price now compared to the price 3 years ago is double when it comes to the cost of lumber.
                            You are to the point where composite wood (plastic wood) is about the same price.
                            Not really....5/4x6-16' treated decking @ $15+- each, the least expensive TREX composite decking option is $36

Comment

Working...
                            X