Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote=Banded Drake Calls;15302002]
    Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
    I use an air wand to blow out any dirt or debris in them and then rinse them out. Leave them out in the sun to dry for a week or so

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Cool, thanks for the info!

Comment

[quote=bassmatt72;15302022]
      Originally posted by Banded Drake Calls View Post

Cool, thanks for the info!
      After I turn them i sand them to 400 grit then apply about 18 layers of CA finish to seal the cactus in

Comment

[quote=Banded Drake Calls;15302002]
        I use an air wand to blow out any dirt or debris in them and then rinse them out. Leave them out in the sun to dry for a week or so

After that soak them in hydrogen peroxide for a little bit and then dry out in the sun. They'll be white and show up good. I've also dyed them after whitening them

Hey Banded in post #58 first turkey pot call what wood is that?
        Last edited by WildThings; 12-05-2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

[quote=WildThings;15303525]

After that soak them in hydrogen peroxide for a little bit and then dry out in the sun. They'll be white and show up good. I've also dyed them after whitening them
          What did you dye them with? I haven't had much luck with my past few batches getting anywhere with them

Comment

The liquid dyes for coloring epoxies. I'm drawing a blank right now

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
              The liquid dyes for coloring epoxies. I'm drawing a blank right now
              Like alumilite dyes?

Comment

No it was these from Rockler DYES a little goes a long way. I mixed it in alcohol and soaked the cactus in it

Comment

What lathe do you have? I’ve done just a tiny bit of research and found a motor and vsr control conversion for midi lathes.
                  It’s homemade. Doubled up 2x10s for the frame. It’s pretty big. Size wise, I COULD turn something up to 22” in diameter, and about 40” long. The motor is a 1ph, 1730 RPM. I can slow it down some with a 2 or 3 stage pulley, but it needs to be slowed down a little bit more. It’s been in storage in the back of my barn for about 25 years. Hoping to get it moved to a location where I can start using it soon.

Comment

https://www.woodturningz.com/PSI-Bot...uck-34-x-16TPI

No idea on this one, just did an online search. I've not ordered or done any business with this company so I have no idea about them?
                    I ordered my bottle stopper chuck and a brown mallee burl blank for a call and bottle stopper and it arrived today. There was a problem with USPS shipping but it’s here. The chuck looks to be good quality and the blank they picked out for me has a ton of definition. I’ll be buying from them again.

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
                      I ordered my bottle stopper chuck and a brown mallee burl blank for a call and bottle stopper and it arrived today. There was a problem with USPS shipping but it’s here. The chuck looks to be good quality and the blank they picked out for me has a ton of definition. I’ll be buying from them again.
                      Nice! I cut a Japanese Black Pine down and half of a Hackberry that fell, plenty of turning blanks! Might try and turn something tomorrow?

Comment

Nice! I cut a Japanese Black Pine down and half of a Hackberry that fell, plenty of turning blanks! Might try and turn something tomorrow?
                        Spalted hackberry is one of my favorite woods!!

Comment

[quote=WildThings;15303525]

Hey Banded in post #58 first turkey pot call what wood is that?
                          Mesquite, I use it a lot for several of my projects. I love the color and grain it has when its finished. Here is a shaving bowl I just finished up for a TBHer that bought a set from me

Comment

[quote=Banded Drake Calls;15345338]
                            Originally posted by WildThings View Post
                            Mesquite, I use it a lot for several of my projects. I love the color and grain it has when its finished. Here is a shaving bowl I just finished up for a TBHer that bought a set from me

Thank you sir. That's what I was suspecting. Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

a few pens

I just made these pens a few days ago as Christmas gifts for my sisters. The wood actually came from the remains of the house my Mom grew up in. It is now just a pile of rubble.

I believe the boards one of my sisters got from it was a doorway threshold. Possibly longleaf pine? Actually planed it down, laminated a couple of layers to get the thickness needed.

I am a novice to making the pens, but have a friend who has the equipment and always walks me through it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
                                I just made these pens a few days ago as Christmas gifts for my sisters. The wood actually came from the remains of the house my Mom grew up in. It is now just a pile of rubble.

I believe the boards one of my sisters got from it was a doorway threshold. Possibly longleaf pine? Actually planed it down, laminated a couple of layers to get the thickness needed.

I am a novice to making the pens, but have a friend who has the equipment and always walks me through it.
                                Nice! I like being able to tie the wood used in a project to some type of history for the person receiving the gift!

Comment

Working...
                                X