190 grain 38 bullet load recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

190 grain 38 bullet load recipe

starting to load some 38's for my marlin lever gun, have not played with it much since switching to 300blk for the most part years ago ... i had some 190's stashed , so i decided to load a few and see if i can work up an accurate sub. load.

first try is 4.0 of bullseye ... we'll see next weekend ..

any of y'all shooting this bullet got load data for it to try ? got a few other powders i could try ... let me know ..

ps. this was years ago with 158xtp's don't even recall what i loaded them with .. but they sounded good and shot decent as i recall ...
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfXcLxGVGJg&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]suppressed marlin 357 mag QUIET! - YouTube[/ame]

Are they cast or jacketed. Im not at the house but could check my manuals when I get home

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
      Are they cast or jacketed. Im not at the house but could check my manuals when I get home
      these are cast .. this weekend, i tried some 124 and 158 cast from back in the days when i used to shoot revolver competitions and they shoot like crap in it (3" at 50 yards).. then again they were light loads for speed plate and i was loading them in a thrower as fast as i could make them.. they were by no means made for precision ..

i'd like to get these to shoot under an inch at 50 .. and stay subs ..

there is not much out there for 190's in a 38 case .. 357 case would probably be worse as more unnecessary volume.. and i have thousands of 38 cases from way back when.

i have bullseye (very little left), unique, trailboss, hp38 , WSF, WST , red dot , titegroup, and maybe some others i don't even recall at the moment ..

for sure if you can find some load data on any of these let me know , i'll load a few and try.

thanks

Comment

I’ll check tonight and see if there’s anything in my books.

Comment

I checked my manuals last night I didn’t have any data for a 190 grain bullet. It went from 170 to 230 if I remember right. I did do some searching on the castboolits sure and found some data for the 190 grain slugs with unique powder. Do the search. It came up pretty easy and had multiple loads.

Comment

only problem i have with unique is that powder placement was a factor.. back in the day when i shot speed plate , the first shot from a low ready sounded different than the others due to the powder in all the remaining cases moving to the rear of the case due to the recoil off the first round going off , the first round had powder against the bullet from low ready.. you could eliminate this by a high ready instead , but they didn't let you point the barrel at the sky... range rules in the city. finding a powder with consistency for precision rifle load is a lot harder than just a plinking pistol load .. thanks for looking though!

Comment

In an Old Alliant manual from the 90s, they list a 200gr LRN at 3 gr Bullseye for 760 fps and 15,100 psi for normal 38 special. +p is 3.3 gr BE @ 795 fps 17,100 psi. Logic says you are over max at 4gr. Should still be subsonic though...

I would use Bullseye over Unique in this situation, you already know you will get more constancy with the lower charge weight.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

i just loaded 10 rounds using 7.0grain of trailboss in a 357 case and that's a compressed charge... i'll try them too ..
                i expect them to be quiet but inaccurate.

Comment

Red Dot is a good sub for Bullseye, it's a little faster burn. 2.8gr @ 725fps 15,100 psi. +P is 2.9gr @ 750fps 17,000 psi.

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                    Red Dot is a good sub for Bullseye, it's a little faster burn. 2.8gr @ 725fps 15,100 psi. +P is 2.9gr @ 750fps 17,000 psi.

i have some red dot ... so 2.9gr of red dot on my 190's ?

might load 10 and try

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                      i have some red dot ... so 2.9gr of red dot on my 190's ?

might load 10 and try
                      You haven't listed your bullet profile with the 190s. I'm assuming round nose since it's in a lever rifle... if so you are most likely under max pressure at 2.9gr Red Dot with your 190s. If you want to be extra safe drop .3 gr and work up.

Comment

they are 190 FP from hunters supply .. and the marlin is rated for 357 magnum ..

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                          You haven't listed your bullet profile with the 190s. I'm assuming round nose since it's in a lever rifle... if so you are most likely under max pressure at 2.9gr Red Dot with your 190s. If you want to be extra safe drop .3 gr and work up.

is that in a 38 special case ? or 357 magnum case ? i'm assuming 38 special case ..

Comment

38 special case was what I listed. You should be way good if chambered in 357.

Comment

cool .. loaded 10 .. we'll see !
                              thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X