The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lip View Post
    For some, that image is everything and they're willing and able to pay $10K for one scope.
    I'm quite familiar with the image quality produced by the BAE core. I've compared them side by side. It's not better than the Thermion XP50 in any meaningful way that matters, at least to me, in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      I like the image better on the Thermion over the Trail. I hate the stupid LRF.
      Just not practical or something I need. Just an excuse to raise price $500
      Funny . . . different strokes I guess. I regret selling my LRF! It was so nice, especially on coyotes that wouldn't respond to the call, to know exactly what my holdover needed to be at distance. The LRF combined with Pulsar's FFP reticles was awesome.

Comment

Anyone been checking out the Iray Rico?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
          Funny . . . different strokes I guess. I regret selling my LRF! It was so nice, especially on coyotes that wouldn't respond to the call, to know exactly what my holdover needed to be at distance. The LRF combined with Pulsar's FFP reticles was awesome.
          Yep. Some days I regret leaving the LRF. On hogs the most we use it for is judging our stalk. Not a deal break at all. On coyotes it definitely can be. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if they hung up at 200 or 300.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
            Anyone been checking out the Iray Rico?
            No, but I really want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
              For some, that image is everything and they're willing and able to pay $10K for one scope. For others, not so much. I went with the "buy a whole 'nother thermal with that difference in price. I chose to have two that I can kill with as opposed to one with the sharper image. One for the AR and one to use as a scanner that I can occasionally share with someone who's hunting with me. I sold both of my thermals and updating soon to a Thermion XQ38 & Hogster R 2X but using a Wraith 2X in the gap. Wraith will probably end up being a house scope so the family can see what's "out there" while we're hunting with the thermals and a daytime scope for when I do daytime calling.
              Some people need the added maginificatino also, there is a big difference between 2x and 3.5x IMO. I typically hunt within 100 yards so the premium doesnt make sense for the hunting I do.

Comment

I'm quite familiar with the image quality produced by the BAE core. I've compared them side by side. It's not better than the Thermion XP50 in any meaningful way that matters, at least to me, in the field.
                I have had my Thermion XP50 and a Trijicon MK3 side by side and I think the Trijicon has a significantly better picture. I have never looked through an N Vision but from what I have heard on the late night vision show they think the Nvision Halo LR has a slightly better picture than the MK3.

With all that said, it still wasnt worth the cost increase to me over a Thermion XP50.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                  I have had my Thermion XP50 and a Trijicon MK3 side by side and I think the Trijicon has a significantly better picture. I have never looked through an N Vision but from what I have heard on the late night vision show they think the Nvision Halo LR has a slightly better picture than the MK3.

With all that said, it still wasnt worth the cost increase to me over a Thermion XP50.
                  I’ve had an XP38, XP50, and now have an XG50. At any given time I’ve had access to a full assortment of higher end thermal and NV optics including the MK3 and others. I fully agree with your statement that the Trijicon has a significantly better picture. Most instances it’s not of much benefit, but occasionally it is. Like when we’re IDing animals on opposite ends of a very large wheat field. It saves us significant amounts of time we can be using to kill elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                    I’ve had an XP38, XP50, and now have an XG50. At any given time I’ve had access to a full assortment of higher end thermal and NV optics including the MK3 and others. I fully agree with your statement that the Trijicon has a significantly better picture. Most instances it’s not of much benefit, but occasionally it is. Like when we’re IDing animals on opposite ends of a very large wheat field. It saves us significant amounts of time we can be using to kill elsewhere.
                    YES me too. It is far better.

But it boils down to is it worth it? I bought my REAP brand new for $6300ish out the door years back. Can't shake a stick at that.

My only issues with continuing to upgrade, is the idea of losing money selling used. UNLESS you are buying them at cost with no tax

I am very intrigued with the Thermion for my next scope, whenver that day comes.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      IMO to justify the cost you got to be hunting several large fields a night to justify the cost......... or if you have the money and just want the best picture availible. I wish I was in that category lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                        IMO to justify the cost you got to be hunting several large fields a night to justify the cost......... or if you have the money and just want the best picture availible. I wish I was in that category lol.
                        The extra money I had to buy helmet-mounted thermal for my face has without a doubt produced more hogs that buying a scope based exclusively off high-zoom picture quality would.

Comment

The extra money I had to buy helmet-mounted thermal for my face has without a doubt produced more hogs that buying a scope based exclusively off high-zoom picture quality would.
                          I am becoming intertested in the helmet mounted devices but no nothing about the whole set up. Which thermal did you end up with? I am guessing you need a special helmet or do you just fasten attachment points to any helmet?

Comment

I have not ventured into that route yet. BUT a few buddies I hunt with some have them.

I am just NOT a fan of any NV. Even helmet mounted. It does nothing for me even on a helmet with no zoom.

Can you explain why you love yours so much and how you use it?

Just to keep an eye on them as you stalk up?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              I have not ventured into that route yet. BUT a few buddies I hunt with some have them.

I am just NOT a fan of any NV. Even helmet mounted. It does nothing for me even on a helmet with no zoom.

Can you explain why you love yours so much and how you use it?

Just to keep an eye on them as you stalk up?
                              I believe he said it is a thermal that is mounted on his helmet not NV.

Comment

I’ll say that a thermal scanner is worth its weight in gold, but they have helped us achieve absolutely zero more kills than we would have without them. Still worth it. They just make it easier and safer to scan instead of having to point a rifle at everything or remove the thermal from the rifle and remount. We do all of the above regularly.

I’ll never run anything helmet mounted again. Been there done that, and my head absolutely hates it. I’ve tried more than a few different helmets, pads, and counter balance kits, and nothing works for me. I get headaches quickly from it. My preference is a handheld scanner such as the Helion XP. I think I’m looking at the NVision NOX 35 next though. Double as a scanner or rifle sight.

Comment

Working...
                                X