Cost to run water and electricity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at putting a house on my property. The house will be about 500 feet off the fm road in a pasture. Going to need new water and electricity service. I know it varies but what have some of y’all paid? I am considering doing water myself by renting ditch witch. On electric I don’t want underground

In Fayette county, we paid premium price to have rural water. Electric company gave us 1 pole we had to bye 2, but they reimbursed us over a year for the poles we bought. That was about 32 yrs ago.

Comment

Why not underground electric service?

Comment

Basing it off your distance compared to mine….$9,250. That is not touching it.

And underground.

Comment

I would definitely do the water yourself. I ran our water 1,000+ ft using a ride on trencher. I would not rent the walk behind. I used the blade on the trencher to backfill the trench. Used 1” poly tubing. Ferguson water works Sells them in 500’ rolls if I remember right. Was done in a day. This was to a well.

Electric was $2-3k to run about the same distance. I think the first 250’ was free. Also, they may not run it the shortest distance. Whichever route is easiest for them. That price was based on it being a primary resident. A second home would cost more.

This was a little over a year ago.

Comment

AEP in Zapata county added a transformer onto power poles that were running inside my property and one pole to my house at no cost when I built my place about four years ago. I rented a trencher and ran 1200 ft of pvc from my water meter to the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
              Why not underground electric service?
              500' ? I'm not even going to look up the wire size and price for a 200 Amp service..

Comment

Depends if the power line needs to cross the FM road they will need a Txdot permit to cross. Definitely will be cheaper to bring the primary overhead close to the house. Set deadend pole and overhead transformer and then go 80 to 100ft underground with the low voltage service to the meter on the house.

ONCOR will go 300ft free or $8400 allowable per SF residential structure. If the total cost to build it once you get over 300ft is $10,000 to serve the house you would be charged the difference between $8400 allowable and $10,000 total cost to build it in or $1600 cost to you as an example.
                They will want an easement for anything on private property for the power line.

Coop will be similar. Every electric company is a little different on their extension policy

Comment

we have coop water and elec at our place and did ours 2 yrs ago. Water meter was $1500 since it was on our side of the road. Wouldve been another $1K to bring it under the road. Like the others, i ran the water myself about 600' with trencher and 1.5" PVC. Electric was a lot more than water. We had to go about 1200' to the nearest power to tie into and it was close to $5-6K for that. I installed my own permanent power pole, i think that cost $3-400

Comment

For Robertson county water to install a meter on out place is right at $4,000.00. Then $42.00 a month to read the meter.

Comment

If you going to be on a rural water system they should be able to tell you what a meter hookup would cost to your property line. After that it’s usually your responsibility from my experience. Depending on the type of pipe you use you can do the math on that of course. Several people are using the rolled pipiping these days. I used the 20’ end to end sch 40 last time I ran a significant amount. Depending on your ground you may want to consider one of those sit on type ditchers. The engineering department of your electric coop should be able to give you a close figure on what it would cost with a phone call. Of course as you are aware of all I said.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartman View Post
                        I would definitely do the water yourself. I ran our water 1,000+ ft using a ride on trencher. I would not rent the walk behind. I used the blade on the trencher to backfill the trench. Used 1” poly tubing. Ferguson water works Sells them in 500’ rolls if I remember right. Was done in a day .
                        About the same for me. 1500’ from meter to a junction at the house then down to a trough. But I had to use a rock blade. Biggest trick is joining the pipes together. Rented the “heating” tool for that. Do it yourself.

Electricity was 1000’ at about $3,000. Underground was $9,000. I regret I didn’t have the extra to go underground.

All 2.5 years ago so I am sure $ has changed

Comment

It’s b s that I can’t read my own meter

Comment

Yall got much better deals then I did. 2 poles with a meter pole was 3500.00 through a co op. We did the 300' power under ground ourselves to the building. Wire and PVC cost was around 4500.00. Water was reasonable as I put in irrigation and ran to the building using a friends trencher.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                              Looking at putting a house on my property. The house will be about 500 feet off the fm road in a pasture. Going to need new water and electricity service. I know it varies but what have some of y’all paid? I am considering doing water myself by renting ditch witch. On electric, I don’t want underground
                              Just did this in October 2021.

Electric Company, we are in a coop, that ran 1200 feet for free. I want to say it was $30/ft after that but if that's stupid wrong let me know. We only ran 900' so I didn't worry about it.

Water line cost me $6 per foot. We had to bore under a highway so needed to get TXDOT permit, wasn't hard to do. I paid $3k to bore 120' from meter to our fence, then $6 per foot from there to the house. All in about $10k.

Comment

Working...
                              X