Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bare Minimum For Height Of Tree Stand(and why)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usea 20 foot climbing stick, then I add 2 regular tree sticks above that. Stand is hung just to the side of the 2nd stick. Always come out to around 25or 26 foot. (Via pull rope length)

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
      Well there ya go

Do you shoot your trad bow from it?
      Compound. I'll only shoot trad from the ground. Is this in the trad section? I'm on tapatalk and can't see

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
        Compound. I'll only shoot trad from the ground. Is this in the trad section? I'm on tapatalk and can't see
        No, it's around the camp fire. I was just curious. I was thinking it would be tough from that high without sights.

Comment

Michael Middleton's famed "killing tree" stand in Encinal is something like 6 feet off the ground. Maybe less.

Click image for larger version

Name:	killin%20tree%20buck%20(1%20of%201).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	24245458

the view

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355862324_662829.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	24245459

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
            Michael Middleton's famed "killing tree" stand in Encinal is something like 6 feet off the ground. Maybe less.

[ATTACH]549167[/ATTACH]

the view

[ATTACH]549168[/ATTACH]
            There it is!

Comment

I use the 20' sticks with the lock on mounted above the top step

Comment

6' or so gets you above the deer's sight line. Any higher than that is for increaded visibility and scent control (though I am not too sure about the scent control).

Comment

My fav stant is 30 or as everyone calls the nose bleed section. But that being said any hight as long as i have good cover and can still see really well

Comment

I think you need to let the deer decide how high you go. The deer in my area rarely look up because most of the area I hunt doesn't have many tree's so they don't have much experience with hunters in tree's. I hunt out of a few tri-pods that are 10ft to the seat and almost never get busted. I also have a couple of ladders stands that are 16ft to the seat and don't even have any cover around and never get busted out of them. Of course now that I say this, I will probably get busted left and right this year.

Comment

I think 20ft is safe for any situation...there's a lot to be said for the backdrop behind you as well. With the sun behind you, a good canopy behind you, and the wind in your face...you could kill them from ground level every time. From my experience 20ft is just about right.

Comment

Originally posted by TallTexan View Post
                        I use a climber, so I go to the end of my 25' pull up rope.
                        x2

Comment

Back in the late 80's I had one of those wedge in tree platforms that I used at this older mans place to hunt trails out of a swampy area. I was useing Myles Keller's jell back then and put some on the heel of my boot to mask the scent walking in. The place I wedged in was about 4 feet off the ground but its all I had with the stand I could use so I made it work.
                          Anyway, one day about 20 minutes after I got up there a young yearling doe makes a beeline on the exact line I came in on. She milled around a little then stopped right under where I was knelled down. As she was looking away I touched her on the top of her head and she went ballistic. I did too cause it jammed my finger so bad I had a splint on one of my fingers for 2 weeks.

Gave that wedge in to a fellow THBer here.

Comment

20-30ft?!

Oak trees at our place you can't walk around the trunk without hitting your head, they're crooked as all get out, and the very tip tops are maybe 20-30ft.

I have one about 8'. One about 10', and a 16ft ladder.

Finding a straight section is the hardest part.

Comment

Originally posted by WRsteveX View Post
                              20-30ft?!

Oak trees at our place you can't walk around the trunk without hitting your head, they're crooked as all get out, and the very tip tops are maybe 20-30ft.

I have one about 8'. One about 10', and a 16ft ladder.

Finding a straight section is the hardest part.
                              I'm in exactly the same boat brother, who stole our paddle?

Comment

minimum for me is 20' idea is 25-30.. i love the rapid rails cause you can go up 5 feet hop over one tree then back to the first one if needed..

Comment

Working...
                                X