Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bare Minimum For Height Of Tree Stand(and why)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bare Minimum For Height Of Tree Stand(and why)

I like 20ft. Just seems to be a good height to get above line a of sight and some scent/movement issues. I have hunted 10 ft when thats all I had and did good. But will say 20ft overall.

will be my first year hunting in the air. Intrested to see what yall say. I dont really like being up high.

Comment

25 is the perfect height, IMO. The extra 5 feet seem to make a diffirence. Ive hunted from 18-28 feet up (Filmed from the 28 foot height).

I hate being up that high, but once Im strapped in I feel pretty safe.

Comment

As high as you can possibly get, but there is no minimum. Just ask Michael about his "Killin Tree". I think its about 5ft off the ground.

Comment

For me in E Tx and white tails it 20 ft but I like 30 ft. The wind swirls so much so the higher the longer it takes your scent to drop down .

Comment

Every deer I have killed with a bow is less than 12' and no further than 16 yds.

Comment

I was at 15 last yr and got busted twice by site from 15 or 20 feet away and now I am at nose bleed altiltudes but stay strapped in

Comment

I try to get 25 feet up. The biggest buck I have shot to date with my bow came in dead down wind and never knew I was there til it was to late. I havent been busted that high up yet but I sure have been busted in my 15 and 17 foot ladder stands

Comment

Hunted with 12' tripod, mostly because the trees on the leases I've been on are not much taller than that and have had good luck. I wouldn't go any shorter.

Comment

I've killed em at less than 10 all the way up to 20. No sense in going any higher than that for me.

Comment

I use a climber, so I go to the end of my 25' pull up rope.

Comment

20 feet!?! Holy cow!

If I hunted with a compound with sights, then yea, 20' is fine. But with traditional gear, the higher up I get, the worse my chances of making the shot. I typically set my stands between 12 and 15 feet. Never had a problem, and the shot angle is better.

John

Comment

As high as I need to be concealed/ shoot opp. In east Tx. 10'-35'. In central Tx. I've hunted from ground to 14'. Public land I've often hunted 30'-35' before the first limb. Past that and I'm not as comfortable.

Comment

I have normally hunted 16'
                            A few areas 20 - 25'

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                              20 feet!?! Holy cow!

If I hunted with a compound with sights, then yea, 20' is fine. But with traditional gear, the higher up I get, the worse my chances of making the shot. I typically set my stands between 12 and 15 feet. Never had a problem, and the shot angle is better.

John
                              when I hear of guys going 25 oto 30 feet, the shot angle seems to get a bit tricky. I think I remember a study years back that gauged like a smoke bomb going off and at 20 feet and the current was enough to get the smoke high enough that it stayed above a deers height. That sure spoke a lot to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X