No announcement yet.

Decide my caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked my Brothers Tikka 7mm-08 so much I had a reason to buy a new rifle.

Comment

Good excuse for 338 federal

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

7-08

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep both home and borrow two 300 win mags, 180 gr CoreLokt

Comment

As others have said, splitting hairs. I did a bit of research (admittedly I am a novice however) for my next rifle which I want to be a Tikka. I came down to 6.5 PRC or 7mm-08.

Both are great from what I gathered and for what my needs are. The conclusion I came to was that 6.5 PRC is for ringing steel, and 708 is for killing.

With that said, they were both great rounds and both would be a good selection for me. The PRC and CM seemed to be very similar as well, so I thought what I concluded may still be beneficial. Bring both, but go out with the 708 if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
              As others have said, splitting hairs. I did a bit of research (admittedly I am a novice however) for my next rifle which I want to be a Tikka. I came down to 6.5 PRC or 7mm-08.

Both are great from what I gathered and for what my needs are. The conclusion I came to was that 6.5 PRC is for ringing steel, and 708 is for killing.

With that said, they were both great rounds and both would be a good selection for me. The PRC and CM seemed to be very similar as well, so I thought what I concluded may still be beneficial. Bring both, but go out with the 708 if you can.
              PRC offers quite a bit more punch than the creed.

7-08 can run a large range of bullets from light to heavy and do it well.

PRC is no doubt a serious hunting rifle. Far more than shooting steel. I’m running a 140 accubond and knocked a REALLY big bodied aoudad ram straight down with mine. I was impressed. Time will tell but it was an excellent start.

OP I’m partial to the .284 stuff so I say roll the 7-08 but both will do the job. Really comes down to Bullet choice. Accubond in that 7-08 is bad medicine

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                PRC offers quite a bit more punch than the creed.

7-08 can run a large range of bullets from light to heavy and do it well.

PRC is no doubt a serious hunting rifle. Far more than shooting steel. I’m running a 140 accubond and knocked a REALLY big bodied aoudad ram straight down with mine. I was impressed. Time will tell but it was an excellent start.

OP I’m partial to the .284 stuff so I say roll the 7-08 but both will do the job. Really comes down to Bullet choice. Accubond in that 7-08 is bad medicine
                I don't disagree with this. I was impressed from what I read on the prc. I think it has advantages for hitting targets waaaaaaaay out there. I probably didn't do the prc justice in my summation. It is a good round too!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                  Do you have any big game calibers?
                  Truth!

Out of the two listed, I’d take the 7-08 and throw the Creedmoor in the trash on the way out the door.

Comment

7-08……that way you don’t have to carry your pin on man bun as well

Comment

7mm-08

Comment

7mm08,, simple choice to me

Comment

No one is giving detailed reasons of the 7-08 over the 6.5 other than emotions or bias. Realistically, both rounds have NEAR IDENTICAL energy with the long-range ballistics going to the Creedmoor. With proper bullet makeup, either will do the job just fine. Bring both and use the one that gives you confidence. Don't let 2, one-hundreths of an inch scare you; apparently it does other "men"

Comment

2 is one, one is none. Take both with you so you have a back up.

Make your primary the one you shoot the most accurate with using field shooting positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Go to federals website and do the ballistics comparison between the two. I think with this information the selection will be pretty clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X