No announcement yet.

Teaching Young Ones Shot Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use old hunting magazines and have the girls use a marker to put a dot where they would shoot. It also helps with teaching deer position, if they don't like the position they tell me why they did not mark it.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post

I also use this pic as a reference for slightly quartering. Put any of the 2 rounds in that area with a good Bullet and you’ll have backstrap for supper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      We have a crossbow for him as well, but I am still a little worried about him getting a finger/hand in the way of the string during the excitement.

Comment

Paper targets that show vitals are great. Also, we went through a TTHA magazine and I had the kids mark with a sharpie where they would aim. Works well because it show a few different angles.

Comment

With Grendel or .223 my daughter shoots dead center of shoulder. You will loose some meat…. But they will have a deer

Comment

I use to take a good laser light pen and show my youngest son where I'd aim if I were going to shoot a particular deer that we were watching that day when he/she was standing at different angles

Comment

My grandsons have been taught to line the "up n down" crosshair up with the front leg and put the other crosshair less than 1/2 way up the body... So far they're 5 for 5 on hog, deer, and javelina and all deadly V hits.

I also let them practice with my AR15-223/adjustable stock, then when we go hunting they shoot my 6.8SPC... They've never even said anything about recoil.

To teach them how to pull the trigger, I put their finger on the trigger (with the gun unloaded and safe, then I put my finger on top of theirs and showed them what is meant by squeezing the trigger vs. pulling it. They both shoot paper extremely well for 7 and 9 year olds... (will be 8/10 this coming season, their third hunting). The younger one is still having issues with buck fever so he has not actually taken a shot at a live animal because he cannot stop shaking when the time comes... (it's funny as heck to watch, but it breaks my heart that he can't calm down enough to shoot)... We are hopeful that this year will be his year!

Comment

I would say right on the shoulder. It is easier for an excited person to find that than saying "put it two inches behind the shoulder and 8-10 inches above the white of its belly." lol make it simple.

Comment

I taught my son, right in the middle of the shoulder. It’s easy for them to pick out and deer don’t run far if anywhere. Also, lots of room for error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Teaching Young Ones Shot Placement

We followed the front leg up 1/3 of the body. Most of our rifles are sighted in a little high under 100 yards anyway, and I have found that most rookies miss high off of a rest if they miss.

If they are turned enough that that shot won’t work, we don’t shoot.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 09-24-2021, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                      I jumped on this deal already. He started on it yesterday!
                      I just ordered one as well. Good deal there

Comment

center of the shoulder.
                        knock out his running gear and all the goods behind it.

have fun

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          We followed the front leg up 1/3 of the body. Most of our rifles are sighted in a little high under 100 yards anyway, and I have found that most rookies miss high off of a rest if they miss.

If they are turned enough that that shot won’t work, we don’t shoot.

Yep, pretty much what I have done with my grandsons... No broadside, no shot... If they can't line up the front legs with the up n down crosshair, there's no shot...

Comment

Another thing that I've found is that even though we started shooting off a Caldwell Dead Shot Field Pod, when I switched last year to a clamp mount carbon fiber single point tripod, they are much more comfortable with that, and they can mount the gun more properly... Resulted in better paper shots... Oldest killed his first buck and a doe and told me he found it much better than the old tripod... could hold it on target easier...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Another thing that I've found is that even though we started shooting off a Caldwell Dead Shot Field Pod, when I switched last year to a clamp mount carbon fiber single point tripod, they are much more comfortable with that, and they can mount the gun more properly... Resulted in better paper shots... Oldest killed his first buck and a doe and told me he found it much better than the old tripod... could hold it on target easier...
                              I have both the Bog Field Pod and the Death Grip. I am trying to figure out which is better for him

Comment

My daughter liked the death grip better. She felt it was sturdier and moved smoother when repositioning the gun for a shot. I also had her get the scope on animals we were not going to shoot and practice aiming. This seemed help a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X