Just a recap on planting times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a recap on planting times

State your area of the state and the planting time you plant Fall food plots.

I live and hunt in SETx, Newton Cty. I have planted various times. Seems the best time is Sept., last half of the month.

We just prepped food plots yesterday to be planted in the near future.

I planted one plot yesterday to experiment with planting time.

Go!!! Keep it civil, please.

South central Texas I usually shoot for mid to late October. But last year was more like late November. Just depends on rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I used to always plant Labor Day weekend because when I was working that’s when everyone had a three day weekend. Now that I’m retired I go do the tractor work and get everything ready to plant ahead of time and I tend to plant toward the last of September. I try to plant late enough to dodge the Army worms. I had to give up bowhunting because I couldn’t hold my pins steady so I don’t really need a food plot until November.

<<<<<<<<<<< is where I hunt

Comment

NE Jack County.
        Shred spring plots over the next four weeks. Disk and plant early October. This year I'm also going to try the shred and drill method on one of the 5 plots.
        Wheat and Oats.

Comment

Central La. { kinda like east Tx.}
          Sept 15 to oct. 15. Crimp things early Sept then watch the weather channel and or closely monitor soil moisture. Too early-army worms though a diverse mix helps with that.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            Central La. { kinda like east Tx.}
            Sept 15 to oct. 15. Crimp things early Sept then watch the weather channel and or closely monitor soil moisture. Too early-army worms though a diverse mix helps with that.
            The King has spoken!

Im assuming since you are crimping, you plant using a drill? I would love to have one.

Yes, Cent. La is a lot like SETx. Red clay and all.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              The King has spoken!

Im assuming since you are crimping, you plant using a drill? I would love to have one.

Yes, Cent. La is a lot like SETx. Red clay and all.
              LOL, Monarchy of one.

Yes, I use a drill directly into the crimped thatch from summer planting.Planting elbon rye, wheat, oats radishes, turnips, chicory, maybe a few Austrian winter peas all in a mix---though as always will be experimenting

Comment

Figured you might like that one.

In your opinion, what would seed loss be between a drill and other methods of planting?

Comment

Others are better experienced to answer that but memory suggests that drilling reduces seeding rate by 10-20%???? vs broadcasting. But its been years since I broadcasted seed and I've never done the T&M

Comment

Thanx elgato.

Comment

I like later than earlier for planting....sometime in mid Oct right before a rain.

For seeding rate I double the seeding rate for broadcasting cereal grains over drilling them.

For extremely small seeds like clover and chicory I keep roughly it the same as you would for drilling. Those tiny seeds do better than cereal grains for T&M method.

Comment

We usually plant early October after the army worms are gone

Comment

Ha getting a little rain on my plot, it might turn out ok

Comment

Central tex.
                            Early sep spray for broad leaf and woodies.
                            Mow high in mid sep.
                            Drop/lightly drill seed into standing vegetation in late sep.
                            Mow low.
                            Hybrid spray/notill/T&M/drop seed.
                            First time trying

Comment

Middle October around a rain for me

Comment

Working...
                              X