Number of applications to selection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
    Those are some good numbers. Its safe to say that almost every year you're going to get drawn.

My son got drawn two years in a row for TYHP. Last year we struck out, hoping this year he draws.
    I hope my luck continues year after year! I thoroughly enjoy the fair chase hunting of public lands. It definitely has made me a better hunter! Really need a mule deer hunt , then I might slow down some

Comment

Just curious, is there a difference between the TYHP and the youth drawn hunts?

Comment

I've probably applied for 30 of the Big Time Texas Hunts and of course no luck there. For me and my kids I've applied to exactly 300 hunts over the past 5 years(290 in the past 4 years).

I've drawn e-postcard archery 3 times. NWR archery twice. Those are probably the easiest of all hunt to draw for with 10-50% draw odds on some of them. My kids have now drawn 2 hunts out of close to 100 apps(I have 3 kids who have applied). One of those was an easy to draw and not very good archery hunt at a state park where only 2 kids even showed up for the hunt.

So we've drawn 6 of the pretty easy to draw hunts out of about 30 applications in those easy categories. My son drew Powderhorn this year which is our only draw out of the other 270 apps in all categories not including e-postcard archery and NWR archery.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
          Just curious, is there a difference between the TYHP and the youth drawn hunts?
          yes they are completely different programs run by different organizations with a different draw process. TYHP actually gives preference to those who have never been selected before so first time applicants are the most likely to get drawn and some of their hunts they don't have enough applicants to fill the spots. They'll post on Facebook at the last minute that they still need youth hunters to fill spots.

Comment

2017 - 0/12
            2018 - 0/17
            2019 - 5/42 (4 e-postcards)
            2020 - 2/33 (1 e-postcard)
            2021 - 0/47

7/151 or 4.6%

Apply for all Big Time Texas Hunts every year as well.
            Last edited by CAP; 09-14-2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Ten or more per year. Never draw anything.

Comment

Haven't drawn archery since 2010 and I don't only put in for the low odds hunts, couldn't tell you how many times put in but a bunch.

Comment

Draw results
                  2016 - 0/14
                  2017 - 0/15
                  2018 - 0/0
                  2019 - 0/18
                  2020 - 5/28 (3 E postcard, GDA, GDE)
                  2021 - 1/19 (E-postcard)
                  2022 - 0/32

Didn’t draw Hagerman again. Really only looking forward to drawing Pedernales Falls or Gun Mule deer

Comment

13 out of 222... 5.85%

Pending the rest of this years draws. This is only my 6th year and I've drawn at least something every year. I didn't make it to all of these hunts mostly due to scheduling or work conflicts.

17'/18'- Drew LANWR Archery, Teniente Archery, E-Postcard Feral Hog @ Gus Engeling

18'/19'- Drew LANWR Archery

19'/20'- Drew Archery @ Chaparral, LANWR Archery, Muzzleloader @ Trinity River NWR(Brierwood), Muzzleloader @ Trinity River NWR (Hirsch)

20'/21'- Drew National Refuge General Deer at Balcones Canyonlands NWR, My oldest Daughter drew Youth Antlerless/Spike at Chaparral

21'/22'- Drew National Refuge General Deer @ Trinity River NWR, LANWR Archery

22'/23'- So far this year, Archery @ Trinity River NWR (I hunted here last year on rifle and I bashed it as terrible, decided to put in for the archery because I had a couple nice bucks on camera before archery season and then when rifle season came around it was a ghost town, We'll see if this archery hunt pans out differently. It's only an hour from my house.)
                    Last edited by Yakinthebox; 09-16-2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I'm at 0/28 thru TPWD. 4/40 thru TYHP

Comment

I'd have to go back and try to do the math on total entries each year, used to enter all and now I pick ones I really want to hunt or dates that work.

12 years, 2 draws. 1 in 2013 and 1 so far this year

Comment

I normally do 20-25 apps all categories normally get 1-2 every year.

Comment

Can’t see anything before this but had 3-4 points in 2014 apps and hadn’t drawn anything before that year. (Makes sense) joined this site in 2009 and that’s when I learned about it/started applying.

2014-12 apps (looks like this was the last year of applying 1 app per category), 1 draw- archery chaparral- killed a javelina

2015 25 apps, 1 draw Private land antlerless killed 3 does I believe

2016- 23 apps, 0 draw

2017- 27 apps, 1 draw Alligator(hunt cancelled due to hurricane)

2018- 20 apps, 0 draw

2019 18 apps, 1 draw - archery whitetail chaparral (killed a javelina)

2020- 26 apps, 0 draw

2021- 21 apps,1 draw rifle antlerless (pedernales) saw a nice buck and no does, slow hunt for all there but said it’s usually a great place. Shot a pig.

162 apps - 5 draw, 4 hunts conducted due to weather cancellation over 8 years I can see records for. I’m at 3% draw for number of apps I’ve placed. Calculating the other years (was this still postcard days) probably close to 2%.

I’ve gone to standby twice and been drawn 1 time so 50% on standby (much better)
                            Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 09-17-2022, 11:51 AM.

Comment

2008 daughtrey gde 0pts
                              2012 gene Howe gde 4pts
                              2016 daughtrey archery 4pts
                              2021 EM mule deer 15pts
                              2021 daughtrey mgmt 6pts
                              2022 chap archery 5pts
                              2022 hag Seg c 2pts

Comment

It's been interesting reading the posts and seeing the numbers. However, the numbers are not a true indication of what kind of luck you may have.
                                It totally depends on the type of hunt you're looking for & the quality of the trophy you expect to have an opportunity for, on any given hunt.
                                Personally, I'm not interested in most of the hunt categories, spikes/does, pigs, etc. Therefore, I typically only apply for quality Whitetail & Mule Deer. Although, the last few years I have been putting in for alligator, also.
                                In many of the category hunts you have a very high chance of getting drawn. And many others of these hunts, you have a very slim chance of getting drawn. Therefore, if you're just looking for a place to go hunt (and there's nothing wrong with that), you could probably get drawn "somewhere" just about every year. But if you're not willing to "burn all your points" on just "a place to hunt", your chances start getting slimmer as you only select the "harder to draw" places, where your chances for a true trophy are increased.

Comment

Working...
                                X