Garage door size - 20' vs 18'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage door size - 20' vs 18'?

Other than a little more cost and probably longer order time, is there any disadvantage to a 20' garage door?

If you'll be putting 2 vehicles in garage, I wouldn't go any less than 20'. It's not just getting them both inside but opening the doors between them that can become tight.
    I wish I had built 2- 12' door openings.

Comment

I owned a door business for several years and 18' is plenty, the extra weight of a 20' will be hard on your spring, rollers and hinges over the years. I just build a new home and have 3-9' doors and they work out great.

Comment

I first had 2 doors drawn in, but builder recommended one double door. 18' puts the the vehicles a little close together, so I'd rather have 20' if we're going single door. Single door eliminates the post in between that always seems to attract a vehicle strike eventually.

Comment

Make sure they use at least two springs on the door, not just the one like most are installing nowdays.

I have a 20’ and love it. If you plan on storing a SXS, truck, or full size SUV, look at height as well.
          Last edited by Greenheadless; 06-27-2022, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Mine is 18'. It's fine. I park outside.

Comment

^^^ that was kind of a joke, being that I park outside.

That said, the 18' door is plenty big for us to both park in the garage. The garage is 7' wider then the door. It relies on both of you being able to maneuver your vehicle, though.

Comment

Yeah, we park outside currently and have an 18' door. With a full size truck and a medium size SUV, there's not a ton of room between the 2 if we did park in the garage with an 18' door. Our new house build is going to have a roomy garage, so I want to spread out a little.

We'll definitely make sure there are 2 springs on the door and that all the other hardware is good stuff. Builder says it's a 6 week wait for a 20' door. But we'll be waiting twice that long for our windows, so not an issue.

Comment

I would do 2 @ 10'. Doors will operate better and last longer. Much easier to park 2 vehicles that way. Also will not have to worry about garage header sagging. It will make you garage bigger though.

Comment

Standard when I was building was 16' but I always put in 18'. We have an 18' (and 9', 3 car garage) currently and it is plenty. I always drew the garages wide enough, which to me is the most important thing to having room. Without that, door width doesn't matter. Cost isn't the door only but also the glue lam or power beam used as the header. Not sure of the cost on those these days however. Make sure you go 8' height as well. If using a tire stop in the garage, go 4 ft if possible for the big truck.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                      I would do 2 @ 10'. Doors will operate better and last longer. Much easier to park 2 vehicles that way. Also will not have to worry about garage header sagging. It will make you garage bigger though.
                      This is what we did in the last two builds. I had concerns of the header also sagging. Good idea mentioned above for the power/engineered beam.
                      Last edited by tps7742; 06-27-2022, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I have 2 10' doors. Its great. I had enough space to have 4' between each door.

Comment

I had a 20 ft door on my last house.. Lambeam and 1/8 x 10 inch plate bolted to it with a 4 by 4 angle for the stone.. it still sagged. I'd do 2 10s or 3 if I had the room ..

Comment

We went with 18’x10’ and currently park outside. So I’m no help

Comment

I would the same thing to you as to customers that ask about going with 16' gate instead of some thing smaller. Will any women be driving through it? Then bigger is always better. They still hit the gates but not as bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X