No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn your lights off and just let them grow from natural ambient light. If you have heat mats or heated room, turn that off or down enough to slow them but not enough to let 'em freeze these next few days... If your seeds grow TOO fast like that, depending on what they are, they will bolt on you and won't produce anything... That's like going to seed rather than growing up first before setting blooms/fruit...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      Turn your lights off and just let them grow from natural ambient light. If you have heat mats or heated room, turn that off or down enough to slow them but not enough to let 'em freeze these next few days... If your seeds grow TOO fast like that, depending on what they are, they will bolt on you and won't produce anything... That's like going to seed rather than growing up first before setting blooms/fruit...
      Good to know. One tray has several types of tomatoes and tomatillos and the other has several kinds of peppers.

Comment

Any suggestions on an elevated bed?

My garden was flooded out last year and the only area I can put the garden gets tins of runoff and even if I put in a raised bed I am worried that tbe soil will stay too wet (joys of coastal living).

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Eight days after planting my seeds, the first one has popped up.
          Black Brandywine Tomato.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I planted onions and garlic bulbs in the ground the week after Thanksgiving
            By Christmas the green onions were seven inches tall

Mid January I had a sweet potato that sprouted so I chunked each piece with an eye and planted them
            I also cooked something that weekend where I needed onions so I kept the tops and bottoms of the onions and planted them too

I planted about sixty strawberry plants October 2020
            I got them mail order from some famous place
            They do a large market share of strawberries
            Anyhow those plants threw off TONS of berries last year
            They even survived the freeze
            But I didn't water them over the summer and I think I lost all but maybe three plants

I need to weed and prep the garden to see exactly what I have left

Blueberry bushes didn't produce any, I mean ZERO, blueberries last year but the two years before that they had berries so I guess the big freeze killed the harvest

I used some red and yellow bell peppers from HEB few weeks ago and decided to just throw the seeds in some solo cups of soil
            I got 100% germination so now I have a dozen bell pepper plants started

Going to do the same with these tomatoes I bought last night
            A Roma and beefsteak

Found some pumpkin seeds in my kids room from a couple seasons ago we bought from willhite. They still have the pink stuff on them so we'll give them a go.

But still need to order purple Hull peas and yellow meat watermelon seeds.

Let's see how things go

Comment

Started several raised beds this year and in the process of research I found these two Texas companies.
              Onion plants: https://dixondalefarms.com/
              Seeds: https://davidsgardenseeds.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 44magnum View Post
                Started several raised beds this year and in the process of research I found these two Texas companies.
                That’s cool. I really like those onions at Dixon Dale.
                So far all my seedlings are coming on except my onions. I turned the heat up on them so we’ll see what happens.

Comment

Ok real gardeners, I'm new to the hobby. I purchased seeds from Hoss tools. I purchased Abe Lincoln tomato seeds. My question is is it to cool, to cold to start them outside ? Will they germinate in this cool weather?

Comment

Tilled up and ready to roll. The wife has a bunch of seeds and sprouts growing in our bathroom
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                      Ok real gardeners, I'm new to the hobby. I purchased seeds from Hoss tools. I purchased Abe Lincoln tomato seeds. My question is is it to cool, to cold to start them outside ? Will they germinate in this cool weather?
                      Depends on your location. For me on the coast I usually plant 1st week of March depending on forecast

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Its a gamble still. Since you bought some unique seeds (not typical home depot variety) you might want to play it a little safe and hold on a couple more weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by 44magnum View Post
                          I used dixondale the past 3 years to buy my red creoles and texas sweet 1015y, but I grow mine from nov thru apr/may. They do really good and After drying store really well. I plant enough to last us almost 10 months storage in the pantry with some givin away. Let me say this…I’m always eager to get em planted before rifle season starts so I mail order & pay the higher price. 12.95 a set, I believe. If you wait till they ship too your local nursery, you can get them for around $3 a set. Just saying…not sure about their spring pricing.

Comment

What are y’all making raised beds from? Lumber is so expensive i might wait to make beds till later and just till a smaller area with a simple border

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                              What are y’all making raised beds from? Lumber is so expensive i might wait to make beds till later and just till a smaller area with a simple border
                              I’m using galvanized and plastic water troughs. I had a couple that were rusted out and started using them and then started asking anyone I saw that had troughs if they were any good and would they sell them. They just gave them to me to get rid of them.

Comment

2022 Gardening Thread

Where you at?

Comment

Working...
                                X