Last day of season - arrow took flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last day of season - arrow took flight

Well gentlemen, after 28 years of basically only killing does, hogs, mule deer buck and turkey in Texas- the drought is finally over! I have hunted hard over the years and I have been blessed to be able to kill a 6x5 full velvet Muley, 5x5 bull elk and a black bear (brown in color) in Colorado with my bow. However, the Great State of Texas has not been so kind to me for nice whitetail bucks. I have passed up more bucks that I can count and I either never see the big bucks I have on camera or I have pulled the shot a couple of times. This year breaks the spell though! I had multiple shooter bucks on camera, two of which had already been killed in our subdivision. I went out to hunt yesterday on the last day figuring it would end like they always do- tag soup!

The feeder went off at 7:01 am and by 7:05 am I had a doe, two fawns and a small buck eating corn. I still had the heater going and the windows closed when all of a sudden this buck walked in. I was totally shocked to say the least! I had had this deer on camera a few times but not since the end of October and then again on the end of November. My shooting window in my poly tank blind tends to make a little bit of noise and cost me one of my target bucks (12 point) in November. That being said I was afraid that this buck would bust me when I tried to ease the window open. I opened the window super super slow and to my surprise non of the deer noticed. With bow in hand it was go time- so I thought. Out of nowhere the buck just walks out the same direction that he walked in. The other deer kept feeding so I figured he might come back in. Within a couple of minutes the 9 point buck walked back in and I pulled back to full draw. At about this time one of the fawns walks right towards the blind and is staring right at me with her head popping up. You guys know what I’m talking about! I am trying to hide behind the opened vertical window but I know at any moment she will blow and the gig would be over. However to my surprise, she took a few steps to my right and I knew I was clear. I was still at full draw so I moved the bow towards the open window and settled the Mathews Switchback XT’s top pin on the bucks vitals and I hit the release. It was at that moment when the Easton axis and Muzzy 100 grain had breakfast at 7:30am. The buck bolted as the arrow zipped through him like melted butter. I waited an hour and 5 minutes (eternity) to start tracking. I found frozen blood where he was standing and about ten yards further my arrow was in the grass shaft covered in blood. I got on his blood trail and like most of my Muzzy moments the trail was not that great. I followed the blood down a well traveled trail down the embankment of the creek and up the other side. It was super steep. The blood trail continued on the other side of the creek and picked up some really good puddles. Shortly thereafter, I found myself in a familiar spot- the blood trail stopped. I started praying and began to grid search. I happened to look over to my left in an opening and I saw a White belly. I was ecstatic as I was fixing to head a totally different direction that would have taken me away from the deer. God knows our heart and hears our prayers! This buck is not the biggest buck by far that I have on camera but I am super proud of my 10 acre 9 point buck.
    Attached Files

Nice! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

10 acre dandy that is for sure! Congrats.

Comment

What a great buck, congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice buck and good read
              Congrats

Comment

congrats. Great looking buck. No matter the acreage..

Comment

Atta boy!! Congratulations on a nice buck and breaking the drought.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullfrog90 View Post
                    Atta boy!! Congratulations on a nice buck and breaking the drought.
                    Thanks Scott! You know it’s been a long time coming.

Comment

The blind with the apparent squeaky window. Lol!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Heck yeah....great buck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

nice buck!

Comment

Great buck, nice story.