Hunting without a deer lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
    I left my lease last season. Interested in what comes out of this post as well.

I'll miss the comradery that sometimes existed - won't miss the drama. Public leasing is likely to lack comradery and a quick place to get to in the middle of the night to enjoy for the weekend.

More bird hunting. More hunting smaller sections that are available. But I do like large area to hunt. I need to spend a bit more time looking at options.
    Funny thing for me, I started out of state with a group of my friends in 01’. In 04’ we meet a group of guys that were the loudest bunch we ever met. I was in my early 20’s and they were from there to 5+ my senior. After 2 days of hearing them in camp I told our group we were either gonna fight them or join them….. 18 years later they are all my closest friends and I don’t know where any of my original group is. Lol it’s a big event every year “when Texas comes to town”. I stay at their houses with my own rooms and meals are cooked. Lol Who would’ve thunk it. They come and hunt with me every year as well. And I learned more from them than I would have being a “lease hunter”. The reason I don’t believe in Big Foot, is cause they ain’t killed one. Lol

Life is an adventure

Comment

The 3 of us met up out at the lease this weekend to hang out and discuss next steps. If we don't find another lease, we have a TON of stuff out there to deal with - blinds, feeders, equipment, and supplies that we don't really have any place to store. We put together a price list, in case the incoming leasers want to buy them off us (the ideal situation).

My dad is still holding out hope to find another lease. He simply wants a place to go when he has free time (which is often since he's now retired), and would love to have a place we can both hunt with my daughter as she grows up. He will keep searching - driving around to areas we'd like to hunt and meet folks, put up notices, and keep an eye out for potential places. I'd love for that to work out, so I'll hope right along with him.

Comment

We lost our lease about 4 years ago, when the owner sold the property. I searched for a decent lease the first year to no avail. Ended up selling my camper and blinds. And have been doing day leases since. Doe hunts, and hog hunts are pretty cheap. And I stumbled into a bison cow hunt that was really cheap. I really miss going to a lease though, and would like to find a decent one again.

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
          The 3 of us met up out at the lease this weekend to hang out and discuss next steps. If we don't find another lease, we have a TON of stuff out there to deal with - blinds, feeders, equipment, and supplies that we don't really have any place to store. We put together a price list, in case the incoming leasers want to buy them off us (the ideal situation).

My dad is still holding out hope to find another lease. He simply wants a place to go when he has free time (which is often since he's now retired), and would love to have a place we can both hunt with my daughter as she grows up. He will keep searching - driving around to areas we'd like to hunt and meet folks, put up notices, and keep an eye out for potential places. I'd love for that to work out, so I'll hope right along with him.
          I know it’s been suggested above but in your situation why not buy? You don’t have to purchase 1000acres to get enjoyment out of it. Doubt you’ll find affordable river front, but you could get a whole lot of enjoyment out of the right 40/50 acre place. I hunt several places, all small tracts, but built a small camp house on 40acres and spend a heck of a lot of my free time there with dad and kids. Sometimes just relaxing, most of the time maintaining the place which I also find relaxing and the value will always increase and no way to lose the lease. Just my 2cents which is worth about what you’re paying for it.

Comment

Make friends.....make lots of friends with deer leases or hunting properties

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Check the available lease thread on here.
              I looked and couldn’t find it. Can someone post a link! I’m ignorant! TY

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                I know it’s been suggested above but in your situation why not buy? You don’t have to purchase 1000acres to get enjoyment out of it. Doubt you’ll find affordable river front, but you could get a whole lot of enjoyment out of the right 40/50 acre place. I hunt several places, all small tracts, but built a small camp house on 40acres and spend a heck of a lot of my free time there with dad and kids. Sometimes just relaxing, most of the time maintaining the place which I also find relaxing and the value will always increase and no way to lose the lease. Just my 2cents which is worth about what you’re paying for it.

This is exactly what I’ve done! And it’s awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

been on deer leases for way over 40 years and would not trade it - say what you may but spending time in camp with like minded people/hunters is priceless IMO - I get that finding the right lease is not easy these days but it is worth every penny I pay - it is like a vacation you get to take every weekend over a 3 month period

Comment

I do appreciate the responses.

The suggestion to buy our own place is interesting, so I decided to do a quick exercise on what that might look like.

Hypothetical - let's say my dad and I spend a total together (lease cost, equipment, feed) of $5000-6000/year. We'll say $5k for ease of math. This does not include our fuel costs to get there, food and drink, or hunting gear.

Down payment on property - 20%. A $200k ($40k down payment) property would take us 8 years to put our lease cost toward.

Mortgage - ~$1k month with taxes/insurance. We currently pay ~$420/month if you divide it all down, so it would cost us well over twice yearly what we currently pay.

Feasibility - where can you find 50+ acres for $200k or under? This type of property would most likely be either very raw land, and/or in a more remote part of the state than we currently hunt. If we owned a property, we would want to be there as often as possible - much more often than we even spend at the lease. Once we get there, is there electricity? Water? A place to stay? Probably not - we'd have to make that happen ourselves which equals more costs.

Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of purchasing my own land to hunt, but it is certainly not an apples-to-apples exercise. Yes, land will appreciate, so you can look at it as an investment, and that is also enticing. I'd be curious to see how y'all who've bought land to hunt have justified it over leasing.

Comment

You can do like one fella on here used to say he does: hunt the medians of interstates lmao.

In all seriousness though, it sucks and hope you find a solution that works for y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Railroad right of ways, also k own as the Long Lease.

Comment

Cheapest big game out of state hunt is sept bear in Co. most units OTC archery and easy Sept draw rifle tag. $100 tag.

Cheap and fun way to increase your unit knowledge base before spending money on an elk or deer tag.
                          Last edited by Texans42; 04-29-2022, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            Cheapest big game out of state hunt is sept bear in Co. most units OTC archery and easy Sept draw rifle tag. $100 tag.

Cheap and fun way to increase your unit knowledge base before spending money on an elk or deer tag.
                            Awesome! I will definitely look into this!

Comment

I didnt read the whole thread, but just in case it has not been mentioned, there are a lot of ranches that are on the MLD permit system with the TPW. As part of the program with the TPW they are required to take XX number of deer each year. Many times toward the end of the their season which runs into February, they will sell the hunt tags left over at a discounted rate. Maybe someone with TPW can put you in contact with some of those folks in your desire hunt area.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

I maybe out to lunch on this one, but it used to be you cant buy that bear tag unless you also have the deer or elk tag in the same season. I am too lazy also to check the current regs out.

Comment

Working...
                                X