No announcement yet.

Hunting without a deer lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah good leases are definitely hard to find . And good affordable leases are even harder to find good luck finding something

Comment

I’m sure glad I went ahead and bought a place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KGreene View Post
        We ended up buying 42 acres of bottom land to hunt. You can still get lucky every now and then and find something that can never be developed. With the prices people pay to lease you could be buying.
        This.

I stopped looking for leases and bought my own place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

OP,
          I had to live in Maryland for 7 years...the one thing I miss about it is the hunting opportunity. Lots of public land, long season for archery (almost 5 months), no lottery for tags and incredible bag limits (2 antlered, 35 antlerless all seasons combined in Region B). Lots of deer due to shrinking number of hunters over time. They also have sika deer in some areas.

Didn't care for their rules limiting hunting on Sundays or rifles with bottleneck cases but what can you do?

Good look finding a place to hunt!

Comment

Oklahoma public land, hands down! I’ve done it 2 years in a row and had multiple opportunities at real big bucks and huge pieces of public. I think it’s hands down the best way to go. Holler at me if you wanna know more

Comment

There's no deer in Oklahoma.
              When I lost my lease several years ago the wife and I got a travel trailer and parked it on an annual lease at the lake and just fished all the time. Gave up hunting except for draws. The next season a great lease opportunity came open so I snagged it. Eventually sold the trailer because now I hunt all the time! Good luck. Something will come up.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

More OTC public land in our bordering states then you could hunt a lifetime in for couple hundred bucks with way bigger deer then Wimberley. Can’t sit at a feeder and actually have to hunt but the options are endless outside of Texas.

This will be my first year without a Texas deer lease in 26 years and I cant wait for the challenge without all the Texas lease drama.

Comment

Originally posted by jbonney1986 View Post
                  Oklahoma public land, hands down! I’ve done it 2 years in a row and had multiple opportunities at real big bucks and huge pieces of public. I think it’s hands down the best way to go. Holler at me if you wanna know more
                  Noted…but…
                  You might consider keeping it to yourself…however well un/known.

Good push MrBonney.

Comment

Why would anyone pay to hunt tiny Wimberley deer?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Why would you not tell people what you paid on an old lease?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

How old is your dad and can he physically keep up with hunting public out west or in neighboring states? If being successful is important to you, public land hunting takes alot of time and dedication. If your content with just being out there, then all the options you listed will work.

Since you live in Rockport, assuming you have a boat and can consistently put people on fish i recommend trying to trade some hunts for fishing trips. I imagine there are several people on this board that will let you come out to their lease and hunt for a weekend if you agree to take them out fishing for reds, specs, and flounder for a weekend.
                        Last edited by CTR0022; 03-14-2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

The trading fishing for hunting idea is original and smart. Bet there are TBH’ers that would be happy to swap for doe/cull hunts

Of your suggestions- going with friends is preferable.

Standby greatly increases chances at hunting. Just a pain to be present and not draw. Draw odds are brutal.

I’ve hunted NM several times for deer and cow elk. I hunt crappy deer units but can draw a tag on a reasonable frequency. Cow tags have gone from $300 to over $800 since I’ve started hunting NM. Plus the license and travel, it adds up.

Colorado orc elk hunting is difficult without info, experience or local support.

Some great duck hunting at the coast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For what your wanting, time with family and home away from home. Public is an option!…. Just get out of Texas!!!

Pick a state…. Any state (north or east). Get a camper and go. It’s different and cost wise to make things apples to apples is about the same honestly. There is gear you need and a LOT of lease gear you DONT need.

It can be as relaxing or as challenging as you like.

Draw hunts in Texas have been fun, if drawn of course.

I too miss a lease every now and then…. But quickly see the massive positives I’ve gained stepping away

Comment

I know your PAIN!!!

Comment

Maybe a thought of a little different path but I suggest looking at volunteering for some organizations like TYHP (Texas Youth Hunting Program). I find just as much enjoyment in hunts a lot of times that I'm not even the one pulling the trigger. Have been to some really cool parts of the state on some incredible ranches and met some awesome people along the way. Something can do with your dad and include the family too.

Just something a little different to consider.

Comment

Working...
                                X