Hunting without a deer lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting without a deer lease

We just learned that we're losing our deer lease in Wimberley this year. Well, we're getting priced out of it - we did have a choice to stay on, with much more limited access, and a 75% price increase. So, yeah, we're losing our lease.

We've leased this piece of property for 7 years, and it's an amazing spot. Year-round availability, cabin with electricity, river access, and a decent amount of deer, pigs, and turkey. We've even taken a few exotics. This has been a home away from home for the 3 of us hunting the property, along with our families, and we're heartbroken to lose it.

For what we got, this lease was relatively affordable, and looking at the few current lease listings I've seen at double or more the price, I believe it will be near impossible to find a place we'll be able to afford. My dad is retired and on a fixed income, and I'm not willing to hunt without him.

So, we move forward. Sure, we'll keep our eyes out for a new lease, but I want to have a plan to continue hunting. I'd love some thoughts and input from those of you who are able to hunt somewhat regularly without a lease. Here are some of my thoughts:
    • Texas state draw hunts - we put in for quite a few each year, and can simply apply for more.
    • Stand-by for draw hunts - we do this from time to time, may try for more
    • Public land hunts - I know nothing about this but may be time to explore
    • Make connections with friends and acquaintances who may have opportunities to day or cull hunt
    • "Pay to play" hunts - I'm not terribly excited about this option, but it's there if we want it
    • Out of state hunts - it may be too late for this year, but look into getting some points started out of state. Any good over-the-counter tags still exist?
    • Out of country hunts - Dad keeps talking about driving to Canada to shoot bears. I'd love to hunt moose some day.
    • Fish more - I live in Rockport and miss a lot of time on the water when I'm hunting.

Any other ideas?

Please note - I'm not complaining. We have been blessed with the opportunity to be on some awesome leases over the past 30+ years. While I'm disappointed we won't be able to stay on the current property, I am thankful for the time we've had there.

The long lease just ask the east Texas boys about it JK no help here; you got it covered I think. Find you a public place to hunt as it’s a different animal compared to lease hunting.

Comment

Check the available lease thread on here.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Check the available lease thread on here.
        I did, and that's where I'm seeing the pricing that tells me we probably won't find an affordable lease.

Comment

Have they leased the place out yet? I'd be interested in checking it out. Can you send me the info in a PM? Sorry if this sounds cold, but I've been searching for a place like this for 3 years. Thanks

Comment

Can you send details on the new cost for the lease?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
              Have they leased the place out yet? I'd be interested in checking it out. Can you send me the info in a PM? Sorry if this sounds cold, but I've been searching for a place like this for 3 years. Thanks
              Yeah, there's going to be a corporate lease moving in on the whole ranch. We were given the option to continue to hunt on our small chunk, but at a much higher price, and limited access. We can't do it, so that lease will take over our chunk as well.

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
                Yeah, there's going to be a corporate lease moving in on the whole ranch. We were given the option to continue to hunt on our small chunk, but at a much higher price, and limited access. We can't do it, so that lease will take over our chunk as well.
                What was the old cost and new cost? What is/was/will the corporate lease be paying? Im no leaser… just curious on land lease economics.

Ive got kiddos coming of age where depending on their level of interest Ill be putting in for TPWD youth draw hunts.

Good luck on the new hunting endeavor MrFoot.

Comment

IMO the NR out of state is a bust , Idaho, Montana Wyoming,Hate nonresident hunters and are canceling PP’s , Colorado is tipping towards shutting out OTC NR
                  Apply for every state hunt ( deer ,turkeyo, exotic, mulie) and spread it out as a group with multiple friends and family ,

When looking for a Texas lease don’t jerk around, if it’s right have cash in hand ( never say I need to ask my buddy, wife , dad !! That is saying no to a landlord)

Draw a circle on a map your willing to drive and then draw a maybe zone ,
                  Work every angle with friends and friends of friends on culls and does who might have a future offer
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-14-2022, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                    What was the old cost and new cost? What is/was/will the corporate lease be paying? Im no leaser… just curious on land lease economics.

Ive got kiddos coming of age where depending on their level of interest Ill be putting in for TPWD youth draw hunts.

Good luck on the new hunting endeavor MrFoot.
                    I won't disclose what we were paying, and I have no idea what the corporation's lease will be. We hunt a 400 acre chunk of a much larger (3500+ ac) ranch, and we've been there 7 years without any price increase. My understanding is the corporation wants it all, so that leads me to believe they'll be paying much more per acre than we currently are. Being that it's about an hour from both Austin and San Antonio, and has the river running through it, the worth is as much as anyone is willing to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                      IMO the NR out of state is a bust , Idaho, Montana Wyoming,Hate nonresident hunters and are canceling PP’s , Colorado is tipping towards shutting out OTC NR
                      Apply for every state hunt ( deer ,turkeyo, exotic, mulie) and spread it out as a group with multiple friends and family ,

When looking for a Texas lease don’t jerk around, if it’s right have cash in hand ( never say I need to ask my buddy, wife , dad !! That is saying no to a landlord)

Draw a circle on a map your willing to drive and then draw a maybe zone ,
                      Work every angle with friends and friends of friends on culls and does
                      We hunted a couple of years in northern Idaho in the mid 2000s. We went up there for bear and were able to purchase the NR bear tag online beforehand. When we got there, we simply walked into a store and purchased an archery elk tag. My understanding is that type of hunt strategy is not near as straightforward nowadays.

If another lease opportunity drops in our lap, we'll certainly consider it, and yes, we've always gone in with the ability to jump on the right place.

Comment

We ended up buying 42 acres of bottom land to hunt. You can still get lucky every now and then and find something that can never be developed. With the prices people pay to lease you could be buying.

Comment

Don't rule out Day hunts. Lots of good places out there offering different amenities with each. You could plan your former annual lease cost down to a few different day hunts. And still put in for public land hunts.

Comment

I sure wish you would share what you were paying! I have also been priced out at the deer lease game, fortunate enough to have a customer who let me out a little piece of land here close to home. I have always been intrigued by the economics of deer leases though!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              Don't rule out Day hunts. Lots of good places out there offering different amenities with each. You could plan your former annual lease cost down to a few different day hunts. And still put in for public land hunts.
                              Yep , some one might talk the boss into it’s a drought year and we need to thin out some does and culls with a couple of “ guest “
                              Because our hunters don’t have enough tags and it turns out boss man , gets a opening for the next year
                              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-14-2022, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X