No announcement yet.

Carrying firearm I vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thread like this is good and sometimes necessary for us to re-familiarize with Texas gun law and the do's and don'ts. Gun laws are very confusing to lots of folks and many times are contradictory or at least seem so. Even LEO's don't always know what is right or wrong. If you happen to live or be subject to a rogue DA or Judge then the water gets even muddier. Do the best you can to understand the law as it's written and hope for the best.

Comment

The only other States I go to visit relatives or hunt are Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas.
      I see all of these States are "Permitless Carry" and Texas resident with a CHL may have some restrictions. From what I can see or think I see is only an age restriction. Some States appear to be 18 or 21.
      Wonder what comes into play in these States?

Comment

When you get your class done and the Ts crossed take a minute and check the other states before you go.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          In a vehicle or watercraft that you own or a vehicle or watercraft that you are in control of (like if you borrowed one), you can possess a handgun without an LTC if the handgun is:
          Concealed
          You are not committing a crime other than a class C traffic citation
          You can legally possess a firearm (not a felon or convicted of misdemeanor family violence)
          You are not a member of a criminal street gang

So let’s say you have a concealed handgun but you are a DWI. You can be charged with UCW also.

Another example would be that you have a concealed handgun but you were committing class C disorderly conduct (disturbing the peace). Even though it is only the equivalent of a traffic citation, you can still be charged with UCW. So if you’re in the middle of the Walmart parking lot and screaming a bunch of profanities at someone and causing a disturbance, you can be arrested for a fine only disorderly conduct. If they found a handgun in your car then you can be arrested for UCW also.

For a long gun, they are generally legal whether loaded or unloaded and whether seen or concealed. For example if you are a DWI and have a shotgun with you, there is no additional charge. UCW just not apply to long guns. Therein lies the difference. UCW only applies to handuns.
          I have a question pertaining to a concealed handgun in a boat. Say your fishing sabine lake and are on the Louisiana side. All laws for Texas go out the window and now you are illegal?

Comment

Here's one I'm wondering and off subject a bit.

Can I pack a pistol for protection while bow hunting on public land?

Comment

Originally posted by BowTech2010 View Post
              I have a question pertaining to a concealed handgun in a boat. Say your fishing sabine lake and are on the Louisiana side. All laws for Texas go out the window and now you are illegal?

Louisiana is reciprocal with Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTech2010 View Post
                Yes, you are under LA laws while in that side of the lake. I am not sure what LA law is on concealed in a boat or vehicle.

The fishing licenses are reciprocal..... not the penal code.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Louisiana is reciprocal with Texas.

https://txhga.org/texas-ltc-informat...c-reciprocity/
                  Maybe I misunderstood but I don’t think that was his question.

I believe he was talking about carrying without an LTC since you can carry concealed in a boat in Texas without any license. Does that same carrying without a license pertain to Louisiana? I don’t know but I know when you cross that boundary on Sabine Lake, you under their laws.

Comment

I just looked it up and assuming the websites I read are correct, I think this is the answer…

Open carry is generally legal in Louisiana with some location restrictions just like most states. Local jurisdictions can also have restrictions.

To carry concealed in Louisiana you must have a Louisiana concealed handgun license or a handgun license from another state which is reciprocal. Texas has such a reciprocal license however it is for a concealed carry in Louisiana but it’s kind of a moot point since you can open carry there anyway.

If I understand correctly, here is the issue with a place like Sabine Lake. Without a license you can carry concealed in a boat in Texas. Without a license you cannot carry concealed in Louisiana. That sounds like it must be concealed for example in a tackle box if in Texas however when you cross the state line, it has to become open carry.

So....

If you have an LTC in Texas then you can have it open carried in Louisiana and Texas (in Texas if in belt or shoulder holster). With a Texas LTC, you can also carry concealed in Louisiana. Without a Texas LTC, a handgun has to be concealed somewhere in the boat while on the Texas side of the lake and open carried while on the Louisiana side of the lake.

Clear as mud?

Comment

Originally posted by txhunt7 View Post
                      Here's one I'm wondering and off subject a bit.

Can I pack a pistol for protection while bow hunting on public land?
                      If it's on COE land you might want to check with that local area commander. Some do some don't even though courts have ruled against COE ban on handguns.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        I just looked it up and assuming the websites I read are correct, I think this is the answer…

Open carry is generally legal in Louisiana with some location restrictions just like most states. Local jurisdictions can also have restrictions.

To carry concealed in Louisiana you must have a Louisiana concealed handgun license or a handgun license from another state which is reciprocal. Texas has such a reciprocal license however it is for a concealed carry in Louisiana but it’s kind of a moot point since you can open carry there anyway.

If I understand correctly, here is the issue with a place like Sabine Lake. Without a license you can carry concealed in a boat in Texas. Without a license you cannot carry concealed in Louisiana. That sounds like it must be concealed for example in a tackle box if in Texas however when you cross the state line, it has to become open carry.

So....

If you have an LTC in Texas then you can have it open carried in Louisiana and Texas (in Texas if in belt or shoulder holster). With a Texas LTC, you can also carry concealed in Louisiana. Without a Texas LTC, a handgun has to be concealed somewhere in the boat while on the Texas side of the lake and open carried while on the Louisiana side of the lake.

Clear as mud?
                        Forgot to check back on this but yes that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

Comment

Working...
                        X