Tikka Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Man I just cannot warm up to the chassis rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I’m with you. I know people love them but just ain’t my cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      Man I just cannot warm up to the chassis rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Come in Mikey!! ADJUSTABILITY!!! LOL

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

I need to stay out of this thread. Commenting so I can find it later

Comment

Maybe you have something against Finland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bell & Carlson Medalist and bottom metal from High Desert Rifle Works made my 3rd Tikka a fantastic hunting rifle, and a consistent 1/2" shooter.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here’s my T3 with a Vortex Viper- just a 7 Rem Mag I use for hunting. Scotch tape over the end of the barrel to keep our snow and dirt. No points for pretty here!

Here’s a story. After I fluted the bolt, I wanted to fill the hole in the bolt handle. I found the elk bolster on a web site of knife supplies from obscure suppliers. It was a custom order, to be shipped from the ‘manufacturer’. I epoxied it in.

A few weeks later an envelope arrives by US mail, with postage I’ve never seen before and a return address hand written in a foreign language. It was shipped from Russia, a small town in Siberia. When I Googled the town, I learned there is a Soviet nuclear weapon research facility- that 20 years ago they never acknowledged publicly even existed.

To cut such an intricate design in a 2” long brass tube requires a piece of specialized equipment called EDM- Electro Discharge Machining. It’s big, complex and expensive.

What I concluded is there is is sone enterprising Russian guy who works at the research facility with access to an EDM machine. He gets orders for these bolsters thru the US web site, and builds them while on “company time” and ships the to the customer

I have the rest of the brass tube with elk left- and realize I’ll probably never do anything with it.

Anybody want it for their Tikka?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                Here’s my T3 with a Vortex Viper- just a 7 Rem Mag I use for hunting. Scotch tape over the end of the barrel to keep our snow and dirt. No points for pretty here!

Here’s a story. After I fluted the bolt, I wanted to fill the hole in the bolt handle. I found the elk bolster on a web site of knife supplies from obscure suppliers. It was a custom order, to be shipped from the ‘manufacturer’. I epoxied it in.

A few weeks later an envelope arrives by US mail, with postage I’ve never seen before and a return address hand written in a foreign language. It was shipped from Russia, a small town in Siberia. When I Googled the town, I learned there is a Soviet nuclear weapon research facility- that 20 years ago they never acknowledged publicly even existed.

To cut such an intricate design in a 2” long brass tube requires a piece of specialized equipment called EDM- Electro Discharge Machining. It’s big, complex and expensive.

What I concluded is there is is sone enterprising Russian guy who works at the research facility with access to an EDM machine. He gets orders for these bolsters thru the US web site, and builds them while on “company time” and ships the to the customer

I have the rest of the brass tube with elk left- and realize I’ll probably never do anything with it.

Anybody want it for their Tikka?

EDM Machining: An electrode removes metal by applying a controlled electrical arc to the stock. There is wire EDM, and conventional EDM that utilizes a conductive fluid. Been around a long time, and is the only way to machine certain cuts, such as very deep cuts that leave a thin wall, where there would not be enough clearance for a conventional tool.

How do I get one of these?

Comment

Tikka Build

Here’s where I ordered it. If you want the elk if I can find it, I’ll mail what I didn’t use to you.

We offer sharpening products for JIGS, Edge Pro, Hapstone, TSPRof, KME & Wicked Edge. Also stock chef knives, Taiwan Tuna Knives, reed knives, Sharpening stones, knife strops, stropping emulsions, Master Kuo & Maestro Wu.

8mm Custom Mosaic Pins - Balatsky Mosaic Pins

He has elk and other pins. Here’s the boar pin. The hole in the bolt handle is 8mm dia. It’s a really tight fit- when I’d push it in with metal-metal epoxy the air pressure would pop it out. I wound up grinding a shallow groove with a Dremel to allow the air a path to escape.

Last edited by Bill; 12-09-2022, 06:37 PM.

Comment

That is a really nice addition to a great hunting rifle. I have a Tikka T3, a CTR, and a Roughtek. The CTR has an oversized bolt knob but the T3 has the hole you mention. I measured it, 7.96mmØ with a length of 17.50. The T3, I have done a lot to it, B&C stock that took a lot of time to get the barrel channel right. I also ordered bottom metal from High Desert Rifle Works, allowing me to torque the action tighter since I now have an aluminum bedding block. This rifle was a gift to myself with funds related to a 25 year work anniversary. One of these inserts would be great, if it fits.

What is the length?

Comment

Tikka Build

From the link I posted. He has multiple other designs. I measured an 8mm hole and it fit. It could require sone light sanding of the brass cylinder if your is slightly smaller.

The length of each pin is between 2.5" and 2.75”.

My son send me an elk ivory I thought would look great- but I didn’t know how to get it turned to 8mm diameter.

Last edited by Bill; 12-12-2022, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X