No announcement yet.

2022 Handgun Hunting Theead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No shots fired this morning but a nice sunrise. Pretty slow but I did have the chance at a nice mature doe decided to hold off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck! Nice set up!

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        No shots fired this morning but a nice sunrise. Pretty slow but I did have the chance at a nice mature doe decided to hold off.

The first Contender that I ever had was in 30-30, and boy was it a shooter ! Clover leaves at 100 yards. I foolishly sold it and bought a new one in .375 Win but it won’t shoot like the 30-30 did. Good enough that I’ve killed several deer and a couple turkeys with it but not a 1 incher.

Comment

I need one of those!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            The first Contender that I ever had was in 30-30, and boy was it a shooter ! Clover leaves at 100 yards. I foolishly sold it and bought a new one in .375 Win but it won’t shoot like the 30-30 did. Good enough that I’ve killed several deer and a couple turkeys with it but not a 1 incher.
            This is the most accurate barrel I have for sure solid 1” groups at 100 yards. I’ve rand steel at 350 using ol corelokts. Recoil is extremely pleasant as well.

Comment

Well I had good bad luck this morning. As usual running late, got to the property and started my 7-800 yard Walk to where I sit about 300 yards left pigs run out exactly where I’m supposed to be sitting… I stalk in as close as I can before I think I’ll be spotted. Line up in one and let the TC 30-30 bark WHAP! Down goes piggy! Get about 20 yards closer and he jumps up and starts running towards the fence line hurt bad holding one leg up and moving slow.

I sit down and wait for the feeder to spin had a couple good does come in decided I didn’t want to clean two animals this morning so let them be.

About 830 I contacted the neighbors to ask if I could trail the pig and they said yes. As soon as I cross the fence I had a massive blood trail heavy blood but I don’t see lung shot indications. Trail went dead at about 85 yards from point of impact. So I start grid searching and came up on what I believe is my wounded hog take a shot and nailed a tree I didn’t see.

Lost the pig but he is or will be dead. Suckers are definitely stronger than you think at times. Id say he was probably 125-150 pounder initial shot was about 150 yards complete pass through with the Hornady 160ftx, I know that only because i saw it hit the dirt past him after it exited. I would have thought I missed if he didn’t drop stone dead then come back to life.

Comment

Pigs are tuff ! I once shot one a little back with a .300 WSM, knocked him down and paralyzed his back wheels. He was close to 200 yards away and I was standing up shooting off sticks, (not my best rest). I watched him drag himself onto the neighbors’ place and figured I’d find him just inside the woods but when I got down there I could see that he was no longer dragging his rear, so I drug out my Winchester .32 Special to see if I could put him out of his misery. I only went onto the neighbors’ place about twenty yards and encountered a deep creek bank. I could see he went down one side and up the other, I had no idea how to contact the owner so I left him to die. Blood on the ground showed it to be a liver hit so I didn’t figure him to go far. The next time I was there I watched about twenty buzzards fly up about 150 yards from where I shot him. Aside from the twenty yards and one creek bank it was all uphill ! In retrospect I was glad I didn’t catch up to him in the thick stuff.

Comment

Drycreek your 100% right from my experience a pig can go forever on a busted liver. I hit one far back with a rage extreme and followed the easiest blood trail ever for as far as I could and never found it.

Comment

Blessed with a freaky horn buck this morning. Shot was around 65 yards, perfectly broadside. Gun used was my FA 97/41 magnum and 210 grain XTP hand load. Right through the onside shoulder, clipped the heart, through the offside shoulder and resting under the offside skin. A little odd in that there was a small exit hole, but the bullet was still there. Oh, and it’s 25 degrees in the Texas Hill Country this morning...

Comment

He is freaky ain’t he ! Bullet might not be picture perfect but it did its job.

Comment

Congrats and as always good shooting !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well the ole’ 97 barked again today on this nice sow. Honest 70 yards and perfect heart shot. 30 yard recovery. Now time for a campfire.
                          Heckuva day…

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                            Well the ole’ 97 barked again today on this nice sow. Honest 70 yards and perfect heart shot. 30 yard recovery. Now time for a campfire.
                            Heckuva day…

****, you are making slackers out of the rest of us! Good shooting again, did you recover that bullet?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice looking rig

I bet that 30-30 will roll one!
                              I Love my T/C 223.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
                                ****, you are making slackers out of the rest of us! Good shooting again, did you recover that bullet?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk
                                I did not on the hog.

Comment

Working...
                                X