2022 Handgun Hunting Theead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
    Last night I got to do some vermin control around the house almost had a shot one some coyotes but I couldn’t get the right position. Ended up testing one of the Matt’s 250gr soft cast on a big opossum. Shot was about 20 yards and they seem to have expanded pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah that ought to do it! I love decisive kills. Nice work on that possum!

Comment

Gorgeous morning here at my lease.
      Calm winds and 39 degrees. Took a nice sized boar at 65 yards. Hit perfectly just below the ear on a broad side shot and drop him in his tracks. Smith 629 with a hand loaded Sierra 240 over H110. And carrying a prototype chest holster I’ve been working on. Very decisive kill…exactly how I like them!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        I just replaced my Ruger brand rings with Warne rings on this SBH Hunter in .44 mag. The Warne instructions said to tighten the screws to 25 inch pounds, but in the process I had to loosen them a couple times to keep the crosshairs level and that just seemed a little too easy. How tight do you guys tighten them ? I’m talking about the bottom screws, but the top screws also say 25 inch pounds.
        I put these same rings on my 243 pistol, recoil is similar to a 44 mag. (Mine were not specific for Ruger barrel, mine were to mount on a rail.) I torqued down to specs, shot it about 10 times to get it sighted in. I noticed the scope was loose and I could slide it back and forth if I pulled on it. I took mine to 35 inch pounds and have never had another problem.
        Last edited by John316; 11-05-2022, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Way to go everyone who is bagging stuff with your handguns, nice work. Some of those tree rats are Boon and Crockett contenders, I didnt know they got that big.

Comment

Originally posted by John316 View Post
            I put these same rings on my 243 pistol, recoil is similar to a 44 mag. (Mine were not specific for Ruger barrel, mine were to mount on a rail.) I torqued down to specs, shot it about 10 times to get it sighted in. I noticed the scope was loose and I could slide it back and forth if I pulled on it. I took mine to 35 inch pounds and have never had another problem.
            That’s good info, 25 inch pounds just did not inspire confidence, they were too easy to loosen when I had to turn the scope to level the crosshairs. I think I’m gonna go ahead and do 30 before I shoot it.

Comment

Took this doe this morning with my 629 and hand loads. She circled around behind me which made for a tricky few seconds of repositioning myself. About 30 yard shot off-hand.

Comment

Congrats Randy !

What red dot is your 629 wearing ?

Comment

Any love for a 6" long slide 10mm with dot sight?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Congrats Randy !

What red dot is your 629 wearing ?
                    Thanks! The RDS is a Vortex venom 3moa.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post
                      Any love for a 6" long slide 10mm with dot sight?
                      Heck yeah. Perfect for deer and smaller hogs.

Comment

I guess your Venom holds up to heavy recoil.?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                          Thanks! The RDS is a Vortex venom 3moa.
                          Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post
                          I guess your Venom holds up to heavy recoil.?
                          That’s what I have on my .41, no problems so far. I would think the back and forth of a slide on something like a 10mm would be about as bad but the Holosun on my 10mm S&W has held up well too. I don’t have that many shots on it though.

Comment

What an incredible weekend. I decided to drop a day of vacation and stay over until today. Sure glad I did. I had three hogs come out about 8 AM so I drew down on the biggest one thinking it was probably a sow with two piglets. Made another head shot and the bullet entered just below the left ear, took a 90° left turn and came out the forehead. About a 100 pound sow. Perfect eating size.

The gun was my freedom arms model 97 in 41 magnum. Hand loaded 210 grain XTP‘s. 65ish yards.

Comment

You’re on a roll Randy !

Comment

Good shooting Sir!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X