No announcement yet.

2022 Handgun Hunting Theead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it wasn’t a fluke I shot a few more into water to test and the ones I recovered all expanded perfectly between .75” and .90” I shot a few at about 50 yards and they expanded well so I believe this is a solid hunting load in the 8” 44 mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those are picture perfect black fin! Great results.

Comment

I just replaced my Ruger brand rings with Warne rings on this SBH Hunter in .44 mag. The Warne instructions said to tighten the screws to 25 inch pounds, but in the process I had to loosen them a couple times to keep the crosshairs level and that just seemed a little too easy. How tight do you guys tighten them ? I’m talking about the bottom screws, but the top screws also say 25 inch pounds.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
          Hey Buzz. It’s hard to beat a Ruger super Blackhawk, super Redhawk, or Redhawk for an all around hunting pistol. If you can step up the budget a little, then I’d say go for a BFR. Any of those will serve you well, for a lifetime. And I’d go with a 44 magnum in terms of caliber.

For an all around 44 mag load, I like any of the 240 grain jacketed bullets (aframe, xtp, Sierra). Nothing wrong with cast, but for pigs and deer, I prefer the bigger wound channel that a jacketed hollow point or jacketed soft point gives you. For powder, H110 has always been solid for me. And H110 likes a full or almost full case so I’d say start with 23 grains and see how it does. If you’re happy, leave it. But you can also go up to 24 grains and still be within book max.

Good luck with it and make sure you post pics and a report as it develops!

Randy
          Randy, thanks so much for your quick reply. I had a BFR in .44 mag, sold it after never shooting it. May look for another, this time with the longer barrel. Or maybe an Anaconda. I like the idea of .44 Specials for "fun" then being able to "turn it up" with the Magnums. I'll follow up with you when I get it all together.
          Buzz

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            I just replaced my Ruger brand rings with Warne rings on this SBH Hunter in .44 mag. The Warne instructions said to tighten the screws to 25 inch pounds, but in the process I had to loosen them a couple times to keep the crosshairs level and that just seemed a little too easy. How tight do you guys tighten them ? I’m talking about the bottom screws, but the top screws also say 25 inch pounds.
            Nice rig, beautiful grips! Who did them? I love those SBH Hunters. They used to be $700 now a grand. As far as your rings. All I know is you get what you pay for. I'm only familiar with rifle mounts, so I really can't offer advise here.
            I do remember a long time ago; Old Timers would put a few drops of Linseed oil on the inside of the rings. When it "dries" it makes a very tacky, non-slip set up.
            Last edited by Buzzsaw; 10-29-2022, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks ! Chad Robinett of Chig’s Grips made those grips. Nearly all my Rugers wear his grips. You can pick out your blank and he will make them from his grip frame or you can send yours in for a better fit. He does good work !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                I slowly bring each screw up in torque until all are snug. Then switch to my torque wrench and keep going till all are at 20 lbs. I also use blue loctite on the rings and green on the base-to-gun.

Comment

Alright for those of you who are interested in the Matt’s 44 mag bullets. I just got done doing a little more testing.

The bullets shot and recovered in water had an average expansion of .86” there was 3 of them.

Bullets shot into plywood then hit my dirt back stop all expanse on average of .58” I believe the wood was plugging the hollow point up.

The average group size out of my contender want as good as I hoped for, at 100 yards the groups were about 4-4.5” some better some worse. I did have a few shots that hit the same hole but then the group would open up.

I think these will be a good choice in short barrel pistols or like my setup suppressed contenders. With a load of 10.0gr of trail boss which is over max they are very quiet and soft shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                    I slowly bring each screw up in torque until all are snug. Then switch to my torque wrench and keep going till all are at 20 lbs. I also use blue loctite on the rings and green on the base-to-gun.
                    Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    Alright for those of you who are interested in the Matt’s 44 mag bullets. I just got done doing a little more testing.

The bullets shot and recovered in water had an average expansion of .86” there was 3 of them.

Bullets shot into plywood then hit my dirt back stop all expanse on average of .58” I believe the wood was plugging the hollow point up.

The average group size out of my contender want as good as I hoped for, at 100 yards the groups were about 4-4.5” some better some worse. I did have a few shots that hit the same hole but then the group would open up.

I think these will be a good choice in short barrel pistols or like my setup suppressed contenders. With a load of 10.0gr of trail boss which is over max they are very quiet and soft shooting.
                    Thanks to both of you for the added info. I’m gonna check out Matt’s bullets right now.

Comment

Did some last minute practice and load work today in preparation for the opener this Saturday. I’ve been wanting to try the 240 Sierras in my 629 so I loaded up 20 and headed out to a buddy’s place. Completely overcast and a slight tail wind were the conditions. At 50 yards they shot really good and were surprisingly fast. My load was new brass, CCI 350 primers and a max book load of H110. The three shots through the chronograph averaged 1517 (1533, 1502, 1516) fps. I hesitate to put that out there because that’s pretty fast for this gun/load. But…they were legit readings. Unless my chronograph was acting up. Regardless, they are plenty good for anything I’ll chase with them.

And this is what I’ll be carrying come Saturday morning. What handgun is everyone else carrying to start with? Bonus points if you include a picture!

Comment

Well, it only took 6 months but I finally got my 9" barrel. The 10mm is getting the nod Saturday morning and will be throwing Underwood 150gr Xtreme Hunters. I'm keeping the range to 40 yards and in, and then if pigs show up, tee it high and let it fly. LOL. Looking forward to ldp's boys. Post them up and be sure to give us the breakdown.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
                          Well, it only took 6 months but I finally got my 9" barrel. The 10mm is getting the nod Saturday morning and will be throwing Underwood 150gr Xtreme Hunters. I'm keeping the range to 40 yards and in, and then if pigs show up, tee it high and let it fly. LOL. Looking forward to ldp's boys. Post them up and be sure to give us the breakdown.

Good looking rig I’ve got a custom 20 also haven’t shot anything with it yet but hopefully this season I will be able to.

Comment

Last night I got to do some vermin control around the house almost had a shot one some coyotes but I couldn’t get the right position. Ended up testing one of the Matt’s 250gr soft cast on a big opossum. Shot was about 20 yards and they seem to have expanded pretty good.

Comment

Thanks for the info on those bullets I ordered a couple boxes of those 250's. Lots of pigs around the feeder at 40 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post

Very nice Glock, Monster! Can’t wait to see it bloodied, soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X