No announcement yet.

Hagerman Segment A 11/6-11/8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in for Segment A as well. First time for me at the H.

Looking forward to meeting everyone out there

Comment

Ready to put some boots on the ground. Should be a great hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm in for A with my brother and FIL. Hunted the slow segment C last year for the first time and looking forward to some action in the A group!

Comment

I plan on making a scouting trip up there in the next few weeks.

Any restrictions i should know about?

Comment

Originally posted by CAP View Post
            I plan on making a scouting trip up there in the next few weeks.

Any restrictions i should know about?
            Daylight hours only and no collecting of antlers/artifacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
              Daylight hours only and no collecting of antlers/artifacts.

What about memories? Can someone collect memories there?

Comment

Got drawn for A! First time to ever hunt Hagerman and going alone. Went to check things out today.... it’s really big. No idea where to even start on this journey. Going back tomorrow to start trying to get a game plan together. Any tips are absolutely welcome And encouraged

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  What about memories? Can someone collect memories there?
                  Why, yes you can, and all good memories.

Comment

For those that need the Bowhunter Ed course for Hagerman. We have scheduled a private course (field day only) for Saturday afternoon, 19 September 2020. It will be conducted at the Hagerman Refuge, and reserved for the drawn hunters. Limit will be set at 20.

As a reminder, you will need to complete the online portion.

PM me your email address and I'll respond with a link to the course as well as pertinent information.

Comment

Razorback. Thanks for all you do to make the H special for all hunters.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

What is up everyone. I drew a Hagerman Seg A tag as well this year. I am a newbie to Hagerman, but am really looking forward to the hunt, so much that I made a TBH account after years of reading threads.

Ive been bowhunting big game for about 10 years, and recently moved back to Texas from Wyoming (laid off oilfield). I am in my mid 20s. Im conservation minded and am really thankful to be able to hunt some public land in Texas.

What are some of the unwritten rules I should understand for my first year? (Scout before Thursday so you know exactly where to place a stand, etc). All I can do for a few weeks is e-scout so I am building a general understanding of each area. Any areas that are really bad hunting/ crowded that I can just rule out off the bat (any O&G production that makes deer weird?)

What are regulations on after a harvest? Are most deer field dressed & carted out or quartered and packed?

What about NWR hunt hours? You have 1.5 hours after sunset to find a deer and pack it out if you shoot at last night (power hour)? Just some basic thoughts. I want to be legal, strategic with limited time and resources, and courteous to those who have hunted this place for years.

I am hoping to scout the last weekend in October. Thanks for your time, feel free to leave any thoughts or none at all. Cheers

Comment

Welcome perfmonkey. We should be getting an email on an orientation before the hunt that should answer a lot of your questions.
                          Just be courteous during the hunt. This is not a spot and stalk style hunt. If you have to move around, do so around noon.
                          Read as many previous threads as you can. Good luck

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Perfmonkey View Post
                            What is up everyone. I drew a Hagerman Seg A tag as well this year. I am a newbie to Hagerman, but am really looking forward to the hunt, so much that I made a TBH account after years of reading threads.

Ive been bowhunting big game for about 10 years, and recently moved back to Texas from Wyoming (laid off oilfield). I am in my mid 20s. Im conservation minded and am really thankful to be able to hunt some public land in Texas.

What are some of the unwritten rules I should understand for my first year? (Scout before Thursday so you know exactly where to place a stand, etc). All I can do for a few weeks is e-scout so I am building a general understanding of each area. Any areas that are really bad hunting/ crowded that I can just rule out off the bat (any O&G production that makes deer weird?)
                            What are regulations on after a harvest? Are most deer field dressed & carted out or quartered and packed?

What about NWR hunt hours? You have 1.5 hours after sunset to find a deer and pack it out if you shoot at last night (power hour)? Just some basic thoughts. I want to be legal, strategic with limited time and resources, and courteous to those who have hunted this place for years.

I am hoping to scout the last weekend in October. Thanks for your time, feel free to leave any thoughts or none at all. Cheers
                            Most of your questions will be covered in the orientation and there is definitely an opportunity to ask at orientation as well. Big things are no baiting, you have to sign in and sign out every day, and try not to walk around to spot and stalk or still hunt. It is a big area, but you will walk through other's sets if you do so. Its a beautiful place, but its a hard hunt only being there 3 days with no baiting.

Comment

Spent another morning out scouting and just can’t get over how much land there is to cover. Has anyone else been out yet as I didn’t really see anyone? I saw the same White Ford F150 out there and suspect they were scouting.

Three encounters with cottonmouths so they are definitely stirred up and none of the three were very friendly..... be careful out there.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Was hoping to get out soon and do some scouting...figured the snakes were going to be active...we need a good cold spell

Comment

Working...
                                X