Texas land prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    I am not trying to start an argument here. This post is purely for educational/informative purposes only.

I have regularly seen posts that some say that real estate prices will only go up, that it is never going to go down; land is the best investment, etc. I am not trying to argue that point, but I do shake my head with the naivety of those statements. Some here were either not around in the 80's or were two young to have been aware. As former banks in those days, I remember all too well that some people bought at the top of the market, both land and houses.

Check out this info:

Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University, helping Texans make better real estate decisions.

Average land prices took 18 years to recoup what the sold for in 1985. Sure, there are/were exceptions, but it happens!

Again, I am not trying to discourage anybody from buying land; just be aware that it is not as guaranteed (in the short term) as some think. Long term...different story.
    Combination of cheap capital, legal and illegal immigration from foreign and domestic regions, and inflationary government policy combines to further push prices up, but at a slower rate IMO. Of course no tree grows to the sky and price growth is outstripping the fundamentals but significant pullback in terms of non-inflation adjusted dollars is unlikely in my opinion. At the very least I see real estate in general, including raw land, maintaining pace with inflation.

The properties I would be most concerned with are those like a previous poster mentioned way out in the desert. Anything within a couple hours of a major city in Texas is still a solid investment IMO. That being said, raw land is always riskier than good developed property in a desirable area for investment purposes. But the hunting isn't as good

Comment

As someone who worked distressed bank owned real estate during the 2008 crash I can tell you with 100% confidence that land does not always go up in value year over year.

With that being said, I'm thinking about trading my 640 acres for six 2x4s, a box of 9mm, and a whole home generator.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        As someone who worked distressed bank owned real estate during the 2008 crash I can tell you with 100% confidence that land does not always go up in value year over year.

With that being said, I'm thinking about trading my 640 acres for six 2x4s, a box of 9mm, and a whole home generator.
        Ok, I have a box of 9mm, but I'll need a 320 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          I am not trying to start an argument here. This post is purely for educational/informative purposes only.

I have regularly seen posts that some say that real estate prices will only go up, that it is never going to go down; land is the best investment, etc. I am not trying to argue that point, but I do shake my head with the naivety of those statements. Some here were either not around in the 80's or were two young to have been aware. As former banks in those days, I remember all too well that some people bought at the top of the market, both land and houses.

Check out this info:

Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University, helping Texans make better real estate decisions.

Average land prices took 18 years to recoup what the sold for in 1985. Sure, there are/were exceptions, but it happens!

Again, I am not trying to discourage anybody from buying land; just be aware that it is not as guaranteed (in the short term) as some think. Long term...different story.
          I have that battle with my conservative side every time I bought land for the last 30+ years. I have said the same as you several times but still bought for one reason or another(normally partner driven). It always has gone up. If I hadn't purchased every time I thought this might be the "top end" I would have less than 1/2 my current net worth. Kind of the same with stocks.

Comment

As the old saying goes . . Ain't no more being made . .

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
              And the Californians are coming to buy it. I swear this last year has been the dust bowl migrations in reverse.

Comment

major difference
                you didn't have internet in the 80s and the way advertising is now... the majority of the sales are investors and people not even local

so to your point I say its valid but not realistic today

Comment

you also have to remember the financial crap and other stuff that was going on in the 80's

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                    you also have to remember the financial crap and other stuff that was going on in the 80's
                    That's going on right now too, just has a mask on it.

I see the housing market taking a tumble in the next couple of years. Right now you're having to overpay but making it up on the back end with basically free money at 2-3% interest rates. Once the inflation hits us and the interest rates go up to 6% and housing cost don't drop, I believe we will see a big downturn in that market.

This is JMO from a chubby Construction worker.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
                      That's going on right now too, just has a mask on it.

I see the housing market taking a tumble in the next couple of years. Right now you're having to overpay but making it up on the back end with basically free money at 2-3% interest rates. Once the inflation hits us and the interest rates go up to 6% and housing cost don't drop, I believe we will see a big downturn in that market.

This is JMO from a chubby Construction worker.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                      6% interest is cheap, historically speaking. I expect and hope that we achieve balance without a crash.

Comment

Buddy of mine just sold his very nice house and 300 acres in Madison County. Seven people looked at it and the seventh person bought it, none of the seven were from the state of Texas.

Comment

I bought in cheap after it crashed back then, it still wasn’t easy. I remember

Comment

Talking to the TxDot inspector who issued my permit for tinhorn in young county & he said property selling a lot to california folks. Said he was twice as busy or more getting permits out & a lot of out of state people. I told him it was scary hearing they were from communistfornia.
                            Last edited by DUKFVR; 04-19-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post

But...people keep make-n more people.

Comment

Man I'd prolly have to tell a Californian to keep walking. Selling out Texas to foreigners is just wrong. If y'all are doing that them you need to just quit complaining about property taxes and the changing politics here because you are the ones creating the problem.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X