No announcement yet.

Official 2022-2023 LAKE WHITNEY & AQUILLA Hunting & Fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W lake looks like it has leveled out for the present at 6.39 ft below normal.

A lake has come up a bit to 4.78 ft below normal.

Weather forecast shows possibility of some rain for Tues. Hope we get it where we need it most.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
      Just wanted to let ya'll know, the NWTF Blackland Prairie Chapter will be having their Jake's day March 11th. It'll be in Peoria, just north of the dairy hill boat ramp.

Kids ages 6-17 are welcome. Registration is $20 and comes with a NWTF membership.

Would love to see some of ya'll there!

https://www.nwtf.org/events/youth-ou...g-heritage-day
      Not far from me. Happen to have any details? The page just has date, location, title, price, and that's about it. Was looking for information on the event in general.

Comment

Originally posted by da_pepper View Post
        Not far from me. Happen to have any details? The page just has date, location, title, price, and that's about it. Was looking for information on the event in general.

They’re supposed to have a new flyer, but this is the one I saw at Legacy the other day.

Comment

W lake sits at 6.19 feet below normal. A lake sits at 4.91 below normal.

PK and Grandbury both have come up a little. No water of any significance is being released.

Comment

Gonna try and get out for a try on White Bass this week. With Benbrook and Pat Cleburn both rising I'll probably work them over the Nolan and Rocky Creek.

Comment

I was out there this afternoon and evening. 7 crappie and a needle-nose gar. Missed a few crappie. Hooked a big striper. But the lil Aberdeen hook wasn't strong enough to hold it. Crappie came on minners. I chunked jigs the whole time. But never got a bite on them.

Comment

Originally posted by PIOBill View Post
                Gonna try and get out for a try on White Bass this week. With Benbrook and Pat Cleburn both rising I'll probably work them over the Nolan and Rocky Creek.
                I had the exact same thought. If its not too windy (always seems like a hurricane on BB), I'll be out on the kayak. Might run into you

Comment

Hope this rain brings the lakes up. Sandies sure could use the run-off.

Comment

W is at 527.02 ft this morning, so 5.98 low.

Comment

Got out to Pat Cleburn Tuesday. We only caught 5 sand bass.
                      would not hit spinners. Did not have minnows so I used small swim baits.

Comment

W lake is holding steady at 6.03 feet below normal. With the steadily mild weather we have been having, and the slow low rising of the water over the last 2.5 months, I would imagine the crappie are about ready to bed up and spawn. Look for them in pre-stage areas. With water temps in the lower to mid 50s. Shallow water will heat up in the afternoons. And into the evenings. I most likely won't be able to get out for the next 3 weekends due to other obligations. But certainly would if I could!

A lake has come back up to 4.45 feet low.

Grandbury has come up to 1.24 feet low. And is experiencing what some to believe as the Golden Algae bloom. Lots of fish dying. And no water being released. I'm predicting if the lake comes up much more, they may decide to release a little water to "flush" the river system. It won't be much water until either PK gets mo fuller and releases, or Grandbury tops off with a lot of run-off from rains.

Lake Pat Cleburne is still low at 3.81 feet below normal. But is slowly rising also. So, it won't be releasing any water to feed the Nolan River unless it tops off. What ever the Nolan gets, will be from rain run-off for now.

If you get out to fish, good or bad, please give a report for those of us who can't go at the present. Good luck. And rip some lips!
                        Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-05-2023, 07:55 AM.

Comment

I had the boat out on W this past week, both Tue and Wed.
                          Tue was hot- 86 degrees, bright sunshine, and very little wind. Fished the Cedron creek area and only caught two, a 19" striper and an eater-size blue, both on a white jig.

Wed conditions were much better. Overcast, cooler temps, and 10 mph or so wind. Launched at the state park, saw a ton of birds working just out from the launch cove. Wife and I had our 10 stripers in the livewell in less than 30 min. Good-sized fish, between 20" and 23". Most caught on 1/2 oz 4" chartreuse curly-tail jigs. I did catch a couple on top with a zara spook.
                          Released about a dozen more over the next hour or so. Headed over to the Towash creek area. Wife caught and released another 23" within 5 min, and we called it a day.

Water temp on Tue started out at 55 and was up to 61 by mid-afternoon. I didn't notice the temp on Wed, but probably upper 50's.

Planning to go again a couple of days this week.

Comment

Great report roadscholar. Thanks.

Comment

You're welcome, I'll post up another report later this week!

Comment

I had the boat out on the W lake tue and today.

Had my Dad with me Tue, and we ended up catching 9 stripers, smallest 17" and biggest 23". All released. The action was pretty slow. Tried trolling for quite a while and didn't catch any at all. The ones we did catch were fish that I would mark on the graph and then we'd spotlock and throw jigs to them. We fished for 3-4 hours, so it was just a fish here and there.

Took my brother today, and it was pretty much the same story. Didn't bother trolling, just looked for fish on the graph and then throw to them. And we'd pick up one here and there. Fished several hours and caught and released 6 total, between 16" and 20".
                                I did get broke off by a very nice fish.
                                Water temp today started off at 56 and was 61 by late afternoon. Windy the next couple of days, so I probably won't get back out until early next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X