New proposed pistol brace rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
    The law says on or about your person. The phrase “or about your person” merely means in the area. If it is in your vehicle, it is about your person.

If the law required it to be on your person only, why would they even add the phrase “or about”?

In Christian v. State (Texas Court of Criminal Appeals which is the Supreme Court for Texas criminal law) it clearly states that inside the passenger compartment is “or about” your person. This is a quote from that caselaw, “this Court's recognition that "on or about [the] person" extends to cover at least the interior of an automobile, see Courtney v. State”. So you can see that or about your personal covers “at least” the interior of your vehicle. That means it probably leaves open areas that might not be in the interior of your vehicle. I can only guess but if you saw the police walking up and tossed your handgun outside the car, it might still be on or about your person but that might be for a different discussion.

In Courtney v. State which Christian cites, The gun was found on the floorboard and this was found to comply with the phrase “or about your person”.

Secondly, the section you cited is for a person with an LTC only. That is a duty to display your LTC and I believe they removed the penalty for failing to comply. In other words it is technically a law but there is nothing they can do if you do not comply.

Other than section 411 that applies to LTC, is there anywhere else that has the requirement to disclose?

Say for example if I didn’t have an LTC and have a concealed handgun in the vehicle under the MPA, would that still apply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mike d View Post
      other than section 411 that applies to ltc, is there anywhere else that has the requirement to disclose?

Say for example if i didn’t have an ltc and have a concealed handgun in the vehicle under the mpa, would that still apply?

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
      mpa?

Comment

I went and SBR'd my pistols. I figured it is coming eventually so I wanted to get our in front of the rush. Took 1 month to get them.

Comment

Only thing I’d have to do is update my trust but that’s just annoying with all the new fingerprints and stuff

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
          I went and SBR'd my pistols. I figured it is coming eventually so I wanted to get our in front of the rush. Took 1 month to get them.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
            Only thing I’d have to do is update my trust but that’s just annoying with all the new fingerprints and stuff
            I didnt have to redo all the finger prints and what not. I just walked in with my trust to a place that I had already bought suppressors at and did the paper work. One month later I got the email, went over there and they had to engrave my trust name in the lower. Cost me around $300 a gun including the engraving.

Comment

My understanding is that BATF-ck has decided to "study the responses" for several months before making a decision.

Comment

The key is mass non compliance...

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
                  There are a bunch of unregistered machine guns out there, so that would be nothing new.

Comment

Yea all mine is pre Obama and haven’t added to my original trust.

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                    I didnt have to redo all the finger prints and what not. I just walked in with my trust to a place that I had already bought suppressors at and did the paper work. One month later I got the email, went over there and they had to engrave my trust name in the lower. Cost me around $300 a gun including the engraving.

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
                      The biggest thing I worry about here is when someone ends up using an AR pistol to defend their home or whatever. Now all of a sudden they're an extremist felon and their whole case can turn a different direction.

Comment

Working...
                      X