Timers on Decora light switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timers on Decora light switches

I'm putting in Decora timers for our front and rear outdoor post lights. It looks like the other switches. My black cover didn’t ship with the switch/timer and I’ll put it in when arrives.

Getting to the programming part now.

Ever seen an electrical switch that needs your lat/long for programming? The **** thing calculates the sunset and sunrise automatically if you don't want to set a single time! It probably has more computing power than the Apollo capsule that went to the moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bill; 02-07-2023, 05:44 PM.

Thats gonna be pretty handy....

Comment

exercise caution. I have had them burn up and melt the wires. But they are handy.

Comment

Had them for years.

Mostly for outside/Christmas lights.

No reason for them to burn up if they are sized properly for the circuit and the load served.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have messed with programmable switches in my last 3 houses and when one went out on me this week, I finally gave up and just put a $13 day/night sensor on the bulb in my brick and glass mailbox. Gonna do the same on courtyard column lights.
          The timers don't tend to tolerate power outtages very well and we have a bunch here. I've done the smart light versions with wifi and more recently just the plane digital timer but kept having issues. Hope you have better luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
            exercise caution. I have had them burn up and melt the wires. But they are handy.

More details? Name brand like Leviton? Which wires? Did the breaker trip? Thanks.

Comment

That's pretty cool, Bill. Thanks for starting a thread on it.

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
              I have messed with programmable switches in my last 3 houses and when one went out on me this week, I finally gave up and just put a $13 day/night sensor on the bulb in my brick and glass mailbox. Gonna do the same on courtyard column lights.
              The timers don't tend to tolerate power outtages very well and we have a bunch here. I've done the smart light versions with wifi and more recently just the plane digital timer but kept having issues. Hope you have better luck.

They shoulda never shut the power plant down.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                That's pretty cool, Bill. Thanks for starting a thread on it. .
                These are interesting to wire in, similar to the Leviton dimmers for 3-way circuits (multiple switches) you also need to connect to a common/neutral wire unlike typical switches.

Their installation sheet takes a little time to read and understand how there are connected.

Comment

I have all of my outside lights on smart switches that I can program from my phone.

Comment

That would be the next level!

Comment

Working...
                    X