No announcement yet.

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found holes dug out after a week of pulling the trap.
    I see people seeing success with various lures with which I have had 0 luck.
    I see sets in the summer months that don't produce for me. Pass-bys.
    Had a hole dug out today that inspired 0 interest the month before.
    Wind is right. Tracks are plentiful.

Comment

Brute that’s coyote trapping, you gotta love it! I’ve been coyote trapping ever since I was a young teen. My grandad and some others that taught me to trap, they where some of the best coyote men around. I’ve been predation trapping for hire for over 10 years. Even with all that knowledge under my belt I had a big male coyote kill 10s of thousands of dollars worth of deer and exotics on a 400 acre place before I got him killed this summer. Summer time coyote trapping is tough, the same coyotes will be many times easier to catch November thru February than the hot months of the year. Coyote trapping is more of a art that a science, you have to find what works for you. It’s hard work and not easy, that’s the reason you don’t have 25 guys contributing to this forum weekly with pics of their catches. Good luck and stay after them, it’ll start clicking again.

Comment

In for the follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So today on the new 650 acres property I took on I found a cat track almost the size of the palm of my hand. I think it’s just a really big tom bobcat but it’s easily the biggest one Ive ever seen. There has supposedly been sightings of a big cat a couple of years ago but also a Bigfoot so I’m skeptical lol !

We put 8 trail cams out on the new place on all the feeders and every single one has coyotes, fox and bobcat pictures. I can’t wait for deer season to be over.

On another note our lease manager called me after checking all his trail cam cards (I think he has 15 out) he told me he has never seen so many fawns in the 35 yrs he’s managed the lease and what I did in just one year trapping confirmed what he had always suspected. Coyotes where killing most of the fawn crop. He told me to swing by his house so I did and he handed me a check. It was basically my yearly deer lease refunded and A big thank you! It felt good for the hard work to be recognized.
          Last edited by sharkhunter; 10-10-2022, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Shoot yea Sharkhunter!! Tell the lease manager to put it on his calendar, with some management things should really improve in 5/6 years from a trophy #s standpoint.

Comment

Dang, Sharkhunter! Hard work appreciated monetarily!
              Getting paid to trap!

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                Brute that’s coyote trapping, you gotta love it! I’ve been coyote trapping ever since I was a young teen. My grandad and some others that taught me to trap, they where some of the best coyote men around. I’ve been predation trapping for hire for over 10 years. Even with all that knowledge under my belt I had a big male coyote kill 10s of thousands of dollars worth of deer and exotics on a 400 acre place before I got him killed this summer. Summer time coyote trapping is tough, the same coyotes will be many times easier to catch November thru February than the hot months of the year. Coyote trapping is more of a art that a science, you have to find what works for you. It’s hard work and not easy, that’s the reason you don’t have 25 guys contributing to this forum weekly with pics of their catches. Good luck and stay after them, it’ll start clicking again.
                Thank you for the encouragement!
                I know I have had success, just that this little stretch has me scratching my head! lol

Comment

Well long as everything goes right I will get to set 6 on Saturday. Will only be for one night but don’t know if you don’t try. Fingers crossed for some good fur. Will update on Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Tagging this one. Good stuff guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well no luck I set 4 and three in touched and one dug up lol. Better luck next time lol

Comment

Early start for you all, we wait until about Thanksgiving for prime furs.
                        Sounds like our bobcats will be worth a fair amount this year, FHA has put out a good forecast for us on prices.
                        Coyotes won't be worth much at all but if we catch some nice ones they will get put up for sale.

I'm impressed with you all's success on coyotes ! Keep up the good work.

Comment

I wish we had good fur here. My wife went on a grayhound hunt in Nebraska and one of the coyotes they got she had tanned. The guard hair on that coyote are as long as my fingers from hide to tip.

Just got my black coyote back from the tannery. Wife’s Nebraska yot for comparison.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I like that black coyote, I have one not quite that black from Texas too.

Coyotes fur up early up this way, in fact the early prime hides are worth more than later ones due to those guard hairs.

Didn't know what a greyhound hunt was so looked it up, pretty dang cool!

Comment

I picked up a small place here by the lake to hunt this year. One of the first things I noticed was that I was not getting any fawn pictures. I was however getting coyote pictures day and night. I set a couple of traps yesterday. I believe this is the first time I ever caught a coyote in a trap the very first night. 1 down, several hundred to go
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	53F7A56C-2ED2-42C0-BE68-C3BC6DF7AE00.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	24696508

Comment

Nice work Buff !!

Comment

Working...
                                X