No announcement yet.

Electrician question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start over with the correct panel and do it right from the start looks like the best option.
    (I’m no electrician but all the other ways sound like a lot more time, money and labor.)

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
      Start over with the correct panel and do it right from the start looks like the best option.
      (I’m no electrician but all the other ways sound like a lot more time, money and labor.)
      This seems like the easiest and cheapest way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
        Yeah but you have that other 1 1/4 right next to it. Either way I wouldn’t consider that option doable for the average homeowner.

You would need to be there to do the calculation but there may be a way to move what I am assuming is the disconnect for the condenser down, and then install a 2” nipple in the lower right side ko in the panel and mount the transfer switch to the right of the panel. Disconnect the feeder and pass thru the nipple to the transfer switch. It should be long enough. Use a 2” ko or hole saw and cut a new hole in the top left of new transfer and top right of panel. Install a 2” nipple there and run new wires from the switch to panel.

Edit:

Still a fairly large project for an average homeowner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Pretty much what I would do.
        Fairly simple project.
        Per post 11, op said he was going to have an electrician do it...

Comment

Cover removed
          I think if I were to move all breakers down it would create room up top for a main if they make one for this box
          Attached Files

Comment

Label says Eaton 225 max type 3r enclosure
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
              Label says Eaton 225 max type 3r enclosure

This main would bolt right in. Next issue is the dead front. It doesn’t have a space for main. Or just replace panel

Comment

98% sure you can add this main breaker.. the csr series of breakers is on the label
                Those 2 round stickers centered between the main lugs is hiding the mounting bolt holes for a main breaker.
                If you can convert from main lug to main breaker, you will only need to relocate breakers in the 1/3 or 2/4 position. To install the transfer breaker.
                Who is your nearest Cutler Hammer electrical supply house?
                They will be able to give you clear concise info.

Fyi, Cutler Hammer is Eaton Corporation, so there may be Eaton breakers which fit your panel.
                Imho, there is no reason to swap out the entire panel.
                If you want me to check further, i have a supply house who i can call on monday to verify the correct main breaker.

Comment

Lol good work Flash

Comment

Get one of the two mains listed. They sell full cover replacement with built in interlock feature. Find your panels part number in this link and order the correct cover. Job con be completed in 20min.

Comment

I'm gonna take the lead an start a GoFundMe campaign for kingranch

Comment

Electrician question

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        I'm gonna take the lead an start a GoFundMe campaign for kingranch

Yeah before I spent all that money I would just walk up and turn the main off.

Edit: or cut my own hole in that dead front

Comment

Holy smokes if this works flash I owe you lunch!

This is exactly what I was thinking in my head but I didn't know they made it-
                          Will update Monday after talking w electrician. He's going to come out and look it over for me and bid it few different ways

Trust me I know the easy cheap way is to just walk up and kill the main
                          But I plan to sell the house and this will be part of the package and I don't want any possibility of someone accidentally backfeeding the main unknowingly.
                          This would eliminate that possibility

Comment

You have been getting great info so far, so I have stood back. Been retired a few years now after putting in 35yrs as a journeyman, and so much has changed as far as products so I let the current guys answer.
                            But let me add this. This has not changed.
                            THROW that metal tape measure away! Please! Or put it to the side. Electricians use wood folding rulers for a reason.
                            Metal tape measures around live electrical equipment is a recipe for an accident. Much more to an electrical installation than just installation. When an arc(accident) occurs that flash goes right to 2000degrees and molten metal goes flying.
                            Please be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                              You have been getting great info so far, so I have stood back. Been retired a few years now after putting in 35yrs as a journeyman, and so much has changed as far as products so I let the current guys answer.
                              But let me add this. This has not changed.
                              THROW that metal tape measure away! Please! Or put it to the side. Electricians use wood folding rulers for a reason.
                              Metal tape measures around live electrical equipment is a recipe for an accident. Much more to an electrical installation than just installation. When an arc(accident) occurs that flash goes right to 2000degrees and molten metal goes flying.
                              Please be safe.
                              Thanks for the tip Tony but before I even took this cover I cut the main up top.... no worries and appreciate all the input this is great info here!

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                                Thanks for the tip Tony but before I even took this cover I cut the main up top.... no worries and appreciate all the input this is great info here!
                                Smart move. Glad you know more than the average Bear.
                                When you throw that main breaker back on, look away and do it on a full inhale of breath. If something should arc you will not be inhaling flames into your lungs at that moment. Also, shut all the branch circuits off and gradually turn on after main holds. Basically do not turn on main under a load.
                                Again work safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X