Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATI View Post
    All Electric

Because you are all electric, a portable generator to power your entire house in the winter would be very expensive and large. Like 15kw on the very minimum side and even then it would have to have at least a 50amp output plug to work right.

I’m also all electric and I ran my home off the predator 9000. Everything but the heater.

My kids were happy and mama kept the fireplace stoked. Take that into consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That one will work for sure, if you're not in a rush wait until the 9000 goes on sale. The number one thing to do on any generator is turn the fuel valve off and let it run all the fuel out of the carb after you're done using it. I bough tthe battery kit for mine and its pretty convenient.

Comment

If you buy the cheapie be prepared wear earmuffs..
        I've had or used most all of them..get a honda and be done. These others aren't worth your time based off your initial remarks. You don't want to cheap out and end up regretting your purchase. Yeah you can buy the extended Chinese warranty but just buy a honda and you wont need to ever return it.
        My vote is the inverter Honda and at least 5500
        I have the 3000 ihandy and it will run a couple small heaters and lights. Etc like you describe

Comment

I looked at that one, but not to sure about the brand reliability.

Checkout this thread as it may help you in your decision making as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
            That one will work for sure, if you're not in a rush wait until the 9000 goes on sale. The number one thing to do on any generator is turn the fuel valve off and let it run all the fuel out of the carb after you're done using it. I bough tthe battery kit for mine and its pretty convenient.
            Good advise. I never use the kill switch, only the fuel cut off.

Comment

Yes but if you watch the sales, you can get the 9k for that price

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                Remember the bigger the generator the more fuel consumption. My 9k predator uses 10 gallons a day. Not a problem as far as cost but gas is hard to get right now. If you only using what you listed I would look for a 3500 watt. Honda inverter in that watt range ideally.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                You can always siphon fuel from your vehicles.

I agree, calculating fuel burn is a big part of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                  If you buy the cheapie be prepared wear earmuffs..
                  I've had or used most all of them..get a honda and be done. These others aren't worth your time based off your initial remarks. You don't want to cheap out and end up regretting your purchase. Yeah you can buy the extended Chinese warranty but just buy a honda and you wont need to ever return it.
                  My vote is the inverter Honda and at least 5500
                  I have the 3000 ihandy and it will run a couple small heaters and lights. Etc like you describe
                  True most generators are loud, but more than enough YouTube videos on how to build a box to reduce the noise.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGt97K2Bobw"]Best Lightweight Generator Quiet Box Part 1 - DIY - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I have a predator 3500 inverter generator. $750 without a coupon and we used the AG exempt.

It cranks right up and we have 200 hours on it now. It won’t power the whole neighborhood but has definitely kept us comfortable in anytime fo the year when we needed it. Also uses very very little fuel. I burn about 1 gallon every 4 hours on 75% load. I personally don’t like to run full load if I don’t have to.

Lots of reviews on this model and people love them

Comment

I guess I need to go throw my Briggs and Stratton in the trash that I bought 15 yrs ago since it’s not a Honda. It starts on first pull every time, just be sure to keep oil changed and use fuel stabilizer. I also close fuel valve and burn fuel out of engine before I put generator back into storage. This generator has gotten my family through three major hurricanes, lots of camping, and now an ice storm.

Comment

If using it very seldom I would get one that runs on propane

Comment

I didn't read all the posts. But first you need to know how much load you NEED, vs how much you WANT.

I say that because we have a 3000 watt Honda inverter I bought off TBH. It will power our furnace, our freezer, and fridge. Beyond that, we don't need much.

Once you got that, start sizing generators. Second, get a manual transfer switch installed you can plug your generator into (With a surge protector). It effectively means you turn off all your breakers, flip off the connection to the grid, then plug your generator into that plug with a large enough cable, then flip on the circuits you want running. It keeps it clean (No cords running from outside to inside), and you can pick what you want running by breaker, instead of having to move plugs.

We are having that transfer switch and plug installed sometime in the coming weeks. We had cords everywhere, but we had a furnace, fridge, and freezer. We were prepared, but we can be prepared better next time.

Comment

I have the dual fuel champion from Home Depot. Its been a **** good generator. Took it elk hunting and ran it every night all night for 10 days. Like others have said run a fuel stabilizer with ethanol free gas. I cut the fuel off and let the carb run out when Im done using it.

Comment

Predator from Harbor freight. With your budget you get a 2000 watt inverter type or a 6500 watt regular Gen.

Comment

This last year, I made sure my family members all had generators. 2020 was so unpredictable I felt better knowing they would at least have emergency power if need be. After lots of bang for the buck research, the predator series is what everyone ended up with. Works perfect for what you described as well as weekend trips afield. Don’t forget a couple five gallon gas cans either.

Comment

Working...
                                X