A good Generator under $500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATI View Post
    what brand, model and specifications should I look for?

Predator from harbor freight. 9000
    Do you have electric or gas heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll second the Predator from harbor freight. We’ve got a 3500 watt that ran out internet, tv, a couple space heaters, and lamps.

Comment

Do not buy a cheap generator! It will not be there and working when you need it most. Best small generator for the money is the Honda eu2000. Lightweight, quiet, always starts easily and produces good power. You can buy the pair that connect together and can run a full size travel trailer with heat/Hvac with ease. You can also get an auxiliary fuel tank for them that will run all day.
        A generator is like insurance, don’t go cheap or it won’t be there in your time of need. Then you wasted your money. Cheap generators are hard to start after sitting for periods of time and are gas hogs.
        Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
          Thank you!

Please provide some details, there are at least 15 different Honda Generator models on the first search.
          Honda eu3000 is
          I have 2 of them.
          One has 700 plus hours
          The other has almost 3000 hours.

Comment

I like Honda’s for the reliability, just whatever you buy keep fuel stabilizer in it all the time

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
              Predator from harbor freight. 9000
              Do you have electric or gas heat?

All Electric

Comment

Harbor freight predator 8750 is what i have. Been running non stop since Saturday. No need to buy a 1k Honda when the predators are built the same as a honda.

Comment

I have a Westinghouse 3600. Runs my canbin, tools etc. Starts 1st pull and runs everything I need it to. I think I paid a little over 300 brand new. Regardless of brand or cost, proper maintenance and a good fuel stabilizer will keep it running great for a long time.

Comment

I have a Predator from Harbor Freight 3500/4000 for the hunting ranch. Sits out in the heat and cold all year long. Starts 2nd 3rd pull every time. The other guys I hunt with have larger Predators and they start right up. Can't beat the price and if you get the extended warranty any thing goes wrong take it back and they will give you a new one.

Comment

If your going new and sticking to your budget look at the Predator generators at Harbor Freight. I don’t own one but have heard dood things about them. Minimum size I’d recommend is 3500 and ideal size would be 5000. Like mentioned above there will be a pretty good choosing of used ones in the coming months, be looking.

Comment

OP,

Check out this site - https://generatoradvisor.com/what-si...tor-do-i-need/

The calculator gives you a general idea.

You really need to look at each device you want to power and determine two things.

1. What are the WATTS to start (fridge, Freezer, AC, etc)?
                        2. What are the WATTS to run?

Saw one web site that has you do those two items first, and then add 25% for each category.

A space heater, TV, and internet router will probably have the same start WATT needs as run WATT needs.

Like you we were without power for to long for my comfort.

I'm getting one that will power fridge, freezer, one TV, internet router, and one room space heater.

The only news we could get was from the small battery radio we had. It was nice when the local talk shows were on giving updates, but once they went off the air, we were clueless as to what was going on.

Honda are great generators if you have the funding. But there are other brands that folks have been using for years.

I'm looking at a Champion and Westinghouse. Leaning to the Westinghouse at it has the one with my starting and running WATTs we need.

Get free shipping on qualified CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT Portable Generators products or Buy Online Pick Up in Store today in the Outdoors Department.

Get free shipping on qualified Westinghouse Portable Generators products or Buy Online Pick Up in Store today in the Outdoors Department.

Here is the one I was leaning to, but then got to thinking if I'm going to make the investment, I want to keep my fridge and freezer running.

This one would only power the fridge or freezer, plus a few other devices. But it would not be sufficient for both the fridge and the freezer.

Comment

This one?

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

Remember the bigger the generator the more fuel consumption. My 9k predator uses 10 gallons a day. Not a problem as far as cost but gas is hard to get right now. If you only using what you listed I would look for a 3500 watt. Honda inverter in that watt range ideally.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                              OP,

Check out this site - https://generatoradvisor.com/what-si...tor-do-i-need/

The calculator gives you a general idea.

You really need to look at each device you want to power and determine two things.

1. What are the WATTS to start (fridge, Freezer, AC, etc)?
                              2. What are the WATTS to run?

Saw one web site that has you do those two items first, and then add 25% for each category.

A space heater, TV, and internet router will probably have the same start WATT needs as run WATT needs.

Like you we were without power for to long for my comfort.

I'm getting one that will power fridge, freezer, one TV, internet router, and one room space heater.

The only news we could get was from the small battery radio we had. It was nice when the local talk shows were on giving updates, but once they went off the air, we were clueless as to what was going on.

Honda are great generators if you have the funding. But there are other brands that folks have been using for years.

I'm looking at a Champion and Westinghouse. Leaning to the Westinghouse at it has the one with my starting and running WATTs we need.

Get free shipping on qualified CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT Portable Generators products or Buy Online Pick Up in Store today in the Outdoors Department.

Get free shipping on qualified Westinghouse Portable Generators products or Buy Online Pick Up in Store today in the Outdoors Department.

Here is the one I was leaning to, but then got to thinking if I'm going to make the investment, I want to keep my fridge and freezer running.

This one would only power the fridge or freezer, plus a few other devices. But it would not be sufficient for both the fridge and the freezer.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4550-365...0969/315001375

Comment

Enter ...Shocked face gif...

Comment

Working...
                                X