Clear All

Great job! Ready to start charging!

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
          Gracias. Long winded but... here’s how I did it.

Started by sanding down the broken area using a Dremel and removing most of the dirt/debris in the general area. Drilled a hole about 1/2” deep, filled it with superglue and then sunk a piece of coat hanger into it to form the skeleton. Used JB Weld Kwikwood and molded the tine, letting it cure for about an hour or two. Then grabbed some 220 grit sandpaper to shape it the best I could and make the transition from antler to mold look a bit more seamless. This is where it got tricky. I used Miniwax stain (natural oak) to try and match the color, however, you could still see a definitive line where the epoxy started and the colors were still off. In addition to that, the tine itself looked unnaturally smooth so it was back to the drawing board. I worked it a little more with some sandpaper to try and break up the solid look in hopes that it’d give it some different hues of brown but again it still wasn’t where I wanted it to be. At that point I was unsure what to do next so I went back to Ace and was milling around when I found what I thought might actually work ... a miniwax blend-fil #8 pencil. Got home and started drawing on the new tine like it was a coloring book, beginning from the main beam and working it up through the tine, applying less pressure the closer I got to the tip. This instantly gave it a more textured look and some true definition as it started to cake on. Once I got it to where I was happy with it I put a few light top coats of polycrylic clear matte finish and called it a day.

All trial and error (and I’m sure there may be an easier or more efficient way) but I hope this helps if anyone ever wants to give it a shot.

Thanks man! I have a small tip I need to repair on a euro and this is great info! Thanks for taking the time to write that up!

Comment

I guess Natural Oak on the stain is listed as just Natural?

Comment

Good job all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                I guess Natural Oak on the stain is listed as just Natural?
                Nope, my bad... I looked at so many variants of stain that my wires got crossed. Golden Oak is what I used.

Comment

Nope, my bad... I looked at so many variants of stain that my wires got crossed. Golden Oak is what I used.

Phew....glad I didn't order that. Thanks man!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words fellas... wasn't sure where it ranked in quality of work but I did give the rack back to my friend yesterday and he was stoked. Traded him the euro and the repair for a hog/doe hunt so it’s a win win.

I’d make a similar trade if anyone is interested... just throwing that out there.

Comment

Here’s a few more that I’ve done this year for friends and family
                      Attached Files

Comment

Man, those look great!!

Comment

Great work!!

Comment

great work!

Comment

Very good work and written explanation!!!

Comment

Here’s a few more that I’ve done this year for friends and family

nice job. Not sure how you are mounting your finished product but here is a tip i can give you. if you are looking for an easy way to mount the head to a board or any other material after you are finished you can use this product

The Experts-Choice™ Mold Making and Resin Casting Starter Kit was assembled with the beginner in mind. If you have never made a mold or casting before, you can now get started with all the products you need in one convenient package.

I started using it years ago because it just makes mounting easier. You take some modeling clay to fill any holes in the brain cavity and then mix the resin and pour. takes about 12 hours for the resin to harden and it's drillable so it allows you to run a simple wood screw into the back of the skull. Simplifies the whole process of connecting the skull to whatever medium you choose.

Here is a pick of one I did this year for my daughter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X