No announcement yet.

Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got lazy and decided I didn't want to mess with getting the boat out. Went to a spot where I've done well in the past on stripers and sand bass from the bank. Didn't get a bite.
    Was wishing I had taken the boat out

Monday is looking like a possibility if the forecast holds, winds 5-10mph out of the SSE.

Comment

Looks like with the recent rains, Grandbury has one of the larger gates open. Flow is at 1,782 fps.

Whitney has come up a little to 2.53 feet below normal.

A lake is .72 feet below normal.

Comment

Grandbury still releasing at 1,782 cfs.

Comment

Grandbury gate is closed again.

W lake is 2.41 feet below normal.

A lake is .75 feet below normal.

Comment

Grandbury has one of the slushie gates open. Flowrate is 460 cfs. That's perfect for m type of fishing!

River surges from the Grandbury gate releasing of 1,782 cfs is finally reaching the W lake.

W lake is now 2.28 feet below normal.

A lake is .73 feet below normal.

Comment

Almost no wind yesterday, so I got the boat out for a few hours.
              Been reading about using chicken breast soaked in jello powder for catfish bait, and couldn't resist giving it a try.

Got out around 1pm and threw out 4 jugs in 6-9 ft of water, each with two hooks baited with the bright red chicken.

Didn't take but about 10 min before I saw one of the jugs moving (actually I make them out of pool noodles). Went over to it and had a channel cat about 4 lbs or so on it. Ended up with 4 channels between 2-4 lbs, 3 on the jugs and one on rod & reel. So it seems the chicken works pretty good.

Caught 5 throwback stripers, all right around 17". Caught those throwing a kastmaster spoon. Also caught one 13" sand bass trolling a ratl-trap.

Water temp was 64 when I started, and 67 when I knocked off around 5:30.
              Forecast shows highs in the 80s from this weekend on, so the shad spawn should kick off before too long and the sand bass will be stacked up in shallow water.

Comment

Good report roadscholar.

Grandbury shut the slushie gate down. Back to the norm of nothing.

W lake still has a little rise. Currently, 2.32 feet below normal.

A lake is .77 feet below normal.

Comment

Got the battery charger for the bass boat. Now just need to change out a gimpy transducer and I'll be ready to go. I'm gonna pull out the fly rod this year when the stripers start hitting top water. Still got a bunch of flys I need broken off.

Get my replica of the striper I caught two years ago back in a couple weeks or so. 36 inches and almost 18 lbs. I let her go so she could make more (Texoma). Not a huge one by historical Texoma standards but a best for me.

Comment

Got the boat out for a few hours yesterday. That cold snap, with lows in the 30s at night, definitely had an effect.
                    Launched at the state park around noon. Water temp was 61. Tried to go out to the main lake but it was pretty windy, so I went back into the Frazier creek cove and stayed.
                    Caught 3 stripers around 16-17" on a 1/4 oz chartreuse curly tail jig.

Put out 6 jugs baited with chicken breast and cut shad. Only caught one, an eater-size blue cat, which I released.

Pretty slow outing. I did see two pairs of mallards land about 100 yards from me

Comment

Thanks for the report roadscholar.

Grandbury has a slushie gate open again at 460 cfs. Prefect for my like-n in the river. Blues and channels should be staging and getting ready to make it happen on the flats and in the shallows.

W lake is 2.35 feet below normal.

A lake is .79 feet below normal.

Comment

Slushie gate still open. And the W lake is slowly coming up.

W lake is 2.24 feet below normal

A lake is .71 feet below normal

Comment

Grandbury slushie gate still running at 460 cfs. Grandbury is .02 feet below normal.

W lake is 2.25 feet below normal. I wonder how that is? 25 cfs release from W lake is just some gates that leak. And no other water is being let out. W lake has been on the rise since Grandbury opened the slushie gate. Not enough evaporation to justify the lake not rising. The water that Grandbury has been letting out has to be going somewhere for the last 24 hours. This is suspicious data.

Edit: Unless this is the lag when they shut the slushie gate off on April 21? If so, then the slow water rise should continue very soon.

A lake is .71 feet below normal.
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-25-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

You're right TG, I just checked the Corps website, and it's still showing Granbury releasing 460, but the W lake isn't coming up at all. Kinda strange.

Got out for a few hours yesterday. Was pretty breezy. Put 6 jugs out and caught 5 eater-size blues. Caught 3 throwback stripers on rod & reel.

Water temp on the main lake was around 64 mid-afternoon, but was 69-70 up in shallow water in a cove.

Comment

Created by the Texas Legislature in 1929 specifically for the purpose of developing and managing the water resources of an entire river basin, the Brazos River Authority develops and distributes water supplies, provides water and wastewater treatment, monitors water quality, and pursues water conservation through public education programs.

Copied from the BRA news web sight:

The BRA opened one gate at Possum Kingdom Lake today, April 29

04/29/2021 | Return
                              The Brazos River Authority opened one gate at Possum Kingdom Lake's Morris Sheppard Dam at about 3 p.m. today, Thursday, April 29 for a total release of 9,000 cubic feet per second.
                              Be advised river levels will rise quickly. Recreation on the Brazos River is discouraged during gate releases.
                              Keep up with streamflow, reservoir levels and rainfall totals at BrazosBasinNOW.
                              For additional information regarding this release see the BRA's Facebook or Twitter pages, email information@brazos.org or call 888-922-6272.
                              To sign up for the BRA's downstream notification, go here. The BRA offers a way to receive notifications of gate changes at each of its three reservoirs: Possum Kingdom Lake, Lake Granbury and Lake Limestone. Notifications can be via text, email, and/or phone call. The alerts – which have been in place since before Lake Limestone’s creation - are not meant to serve as a flood warning system and it remains every person’s responsibility to monitor local news outlets, National Weather Service broadcasts, and other information to remain fully aware of potentially hazardous conditions. Texas’ weather can change in an instant and it's vital everyone is prepared when enjoying our waterway.

__________________________________________________ _

Comment

As of this moment, ACE is showing the PK release at 2808 cfs. Grandbury is releasing 3543 cfs.

I'm beginning to think ACE is trying to throw me off and make me look bad.

The W lake has come up a little over .50 feet in the last 24 hours. I soon expect more. And possibly reaching 4 feet or more above normal, pending how long PK keeps it's gate open. Course if PK opens, Grandbury has to open to keep from flooding.

A lake is doing pretty good. It stands at .59 feet below normal. So it has gained a little water. And will prob come up just a bit more.
                                Last edited by Texas Grown; 04-29-2021, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X