Need help: thumb throttle sticking on Honda 420

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help: thumb throttle sticking on Honda 420

Should I Take the top off of the small box above the thumb throttle and oil it or spray it with a lubricant? I’ve got 3 in 1 oil and berrymans spray, will that work? Or should I do something else? Don’t want to go to YouTube. Thanks.

you can try that first cant hurt.
    cable terminal points could be loose or cable rusted and could need replacement. you gotta go look

Comment

I've always used spray graphite for throttle cables, open the top and stick the straw into the cable and spray it while working the cable back and forth.

Comment

I have seen a couple things cause what you are seeing.

Most often, inside the cable is gunked up or starting to rust. Especially if you do or have done any kind of mudding or crossing deep creeks. Just need to take the cable off so it can do its full travel and load it up inside with a lubricant and continuously move it to try and break down the build up.

The second thing is the vacuum piston inside the carb being scared up and its preventing it from going back down. This one is not good, because it means your air filter has not been working and you have had a lot of stuff going into the cylinder.

But it could be other things like a broken spring or something like that. Maybe even some broken strands that move into the casing when opening throttle.

Hope this helps.

J

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
          I've always used spray graphite for throttle cables, open the top and stick the straw into the cable and spray it while working the cable back and forth.

This right here... If you take the "top" off, remove the cable from the thumb leaver and try to spray graphite inside the cable housing while moving it back and forth as much as possible. Keep working it until it moves freely and the spring return on the other end retracts the cable without hanging up...

If you cant' get it freed up, replace the cable. It's an easy job.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

If you do end up changing out the cable, consider converting to a twist throttle. it is much easier to drive for longer time periods.

Comment

What’s a new cable cost?

Comment

Fiddeene bucks delivered to your door ...

https://www.amazon.com/All-Balls-Thr...s%2C239&sr=8-3

Comment

I’d follow the cable and see where it’s getting in a bind at. 420s are fuel injected so it wouldn’t be a carb issue. I’m betting a stick or something came from underneath and interfered with the cable operation. I’ve never had a Honda atv throttle stick, but I have had cable problems like above mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                      If you do end up changing out the cable, consider converting to a twist throttle. it is much easier to drive for longer time periods.
                      I never have understood, the thumb thing...........

Comment

Working...
                      X