No announcement yet.

2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have figured out how to keep deer away from an area...put up a protein feeder. Its been out for almost 6 months and not a deer has stopped at it. Seen a few walk by on camera. They still go to corn feeders. Even filled it half corn, half protein. And I just got word that in the next couple months finally be doing the burn and pine replant, so not expecting a great season

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
      I have figured out how to keep deer away from an area...put up a protein feeder. Its been out for almost 6 months and not a deer has stopped at it. Seen a few walk by on camera. They still go to corn feeders. Even filled it half corn, half protein. And I just got word that in the next couple months finally be doing the burn and pine replant, so not expecting a great season
      Man that sucks out loud on the burn this time of year. But next time spread corn all around the feeder on the ground. They’ll get used to the protein feeder and start hitting it.

Comment

I did that.....no deer, but sure attracted the pigs ha

Comment

Located another buck from last year that my daughter hunted. Great 10pt in the 5-6 yo class

My core area camera still has “ME” and “Kaboom “ about daily. The north camera move had some of the smaller bucks but neither of those 2 (glad actually). South move had both… but not at frequency as core….soooi
          I moved another 50 south on a parallel trail, and I got a feeling I’m on him. Gonna be less than 50 from a known bedding area I found

Comment

I tried the same with Fortified Cotton seed. They won't touch it. I mixed in corn and they pick through the cotton seed to get to the corn, pigs won't touch it either. [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

How tall are the tubes.. exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                How tall are the tubes.. exactly?
                No tubes. Its an ASF feeder with timer. Like this https://www.premierfeeders.com/all_s...8029_prd1.html

Comment

Have you tried Rice Bran? Pour it straight on the ground next to your feeder/corn pile. I did it for the first time last year and they crushed it.

Comment

That’s interesting. In one side of my section of the ranch the deer would hammer protein to the tune of 500 lbs a week. On the other side they just nibbled all off season. Within the past two weeks the deer do not seem interested in protein much anywhere on the ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What food plots are easiest to grow around pines? Got a spot that was recently graded by the timber company and I’m wondering what’s the easiest stuff to grow for deer in the fall. Don’t have access to much equipment other than hand tools and a push spreader. From what I read I can probably get away with oats if I double my seed rate. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                        What food plots are easiest to grow around pines? Got a spot that was recently graded by the timber company and I’m wondering what’s the easiest stuff to grow for deer in the fall. Don’t have access to much equipment other than hand tools and a push spreader. From what I read I can probably get away with oats if I double my seed rate. Any suggestions?

Yes on the oats. Just broadcast before a rain and lightly drag with what ever you have. Let it get up a little bit then fertilize.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                          Yes on the oats. Just broadcast before a rain and lightly drag with what ever you have. Let it get up a little bit then fertilize.

10-4. Don’t have a drag but I can drive over them [emoji1]

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                            10-4. Don’t have a drag but I can drive over them [emoji1]

Well get you a log and tie a chain round each end and back to your hitch... makes a pretty good drag...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Well get you a log and tie a chain round each end and back to your hitch... makes a pretty good drag...

That’s actually a good idea. This will be right on the edge of a grown up clear cut, plenty of logs I can use there.

Comment

I got a 50lb sack of peas, clover, oats, rye, and wheat in the back of the truck that I'm going up to plant tomorrow. Hopefully we get some of the rain that's forecasted and it's not a waste.

Comment

Working...
                                X