X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate to hear that. Thanks for taking us along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well we didn’t see too much either. I was finally able to connect on a doe at 9:45 today. Had a little 6 point come out at 9 and hang around for a bit and then the doe showed up about 9:45 ish. That is the only doe I saw around my blind. My dad saw another small buck and that was it for today. Looks like only 3 does brought in between 16 hunters. They said that is the lowest harvest rate they have had in 7 years according to one of the park staff guys. I think conditions were just off for deer movement during our allotted time and areas.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptTank View Post
        Well we didn’t see too much either. I was finally able to connect on a doe at 9:45 today. Had a little 6 point come out at 9 and hang around for a bit and then the doe showed up about 9:45 ish. That is the only doe I saw around my blind. My dad saw another small buck and that was it for today. Looks like only 3 does brought in between 16 hunters. They said that is the lowest harvest rate they have had in 7 years according to one of the park staff guys. I think conditions were just off for deer movement during our allotted time and areas.

Wow, congrats on a hard-earned doe! Sorry we didn't get to meet up, but I am glad you were successful.

Comment

I put together my quick recap of the hunt. I hope y'all enjoy!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUUN6bCfaVQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUUN6bCfaVQ[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
            Wow, congrats on a hard-earned doe! Sorry we didn't get to meet up, but I am glad you were successful.

Thank you sir. Nice video. I have been on a few of these draw hunts over the years, and each place is different. At each place the staff has their own approach, the set ups are different, the wildlife is different, and let’s not leave out Mother Nature... It is always interesting to see how each hunt will play out. That is what keeps me putting in every year.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptTank View Post
              Thank you sir. Nice video. I have been on a few of these draw hunts over the years, and each place is different. At each place the staff has their own approach, the set ups are different, the wildlife is different, and let’s not leave out Mother Nature... It is always interesting to see how each hunt will play out. That is what keeps me putting in every year.

Absolutely! We love going on these hunts, mostly to get to try out new spots. Most of the time we're successful, sometimes we're not. No big deal.

Comment

Good job on the video!

Kinda hard to get excited about my son's hunt from the reports on animals but I don't wanna miss out on an opportunity of us spending time so well be there day after Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
                  Good job on the video!

Kinda hard to get excited about my son's hunt from the reports on animals but I don't wanna miss out on an opportunity of us spending time so well be there day after Christmas
                  Best of luck to y'all! It is a nice place to hunt, and hopefully the animals' patterns will shift while you're there.

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
                    Best of luck to y'all! It is a nice place to hunt, and hopefully the animals' patterns will shift while you're there.
                    Thanks! Hope so too.

I saw someone mention taking alfalfa, y'all think it be worth our trouble? They have any regs around what you could feed or put out?

Comment

Good job on the video!

Hope for a good cold front around the time of your hunt. Did this hunt 3 years ago and it was nice and cool and the deer were moving. Group of 4 shot 5 does and a small axis buck. Saw deer on most sits.

Sort of luck of the draw on the stands out there. Deer are there so don't be discouraged. Beautiful property and a nice way to spend time with your kiddo.

Comment

Thanks! Hope so too.

I saw someone mention taking alfalfa, y'all think it be worth our trouble? They have any regs around what you could feed or put out?
                        My buddy's FIL owns a hundred acres just outside of the SNA and when he puts out alfalfa the deer gobble it up. I'll echo what's been said above, hopefully a good cool front will get them on their feet while you are there. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks! Hope so too.

You have to have your corn in sealed bags (not farm-bought bags). We brought alfalfa and put it out, but not to great success.

Comment

What kinda vehicle need for this place? Hoping gonna be ok but my old truck was acting up a little yesterday and little nervous about a 3 hour drive. Do i need try borrow a buddy's truck if mine not ok? Wife has a minivan (We put deer and pigs in it all the time on a tarp)

Just not sure if that work for going to hunting location?

Comment

What kinda vehicle need for this place? Hoping gonna be ok but my old truck was acting up a little yesterday and little nervous about a 3 hour drive. Do i need try borrow a buddy's truck if mine not ok? Wife has a minivan (We put deer and pigs in it all the time on a tarp)

Just not sure if that work for going to hunting location?
                              Almost all of the stands are just off of well maintained gravel roads. A guy next blind down from us was driving a minivan. If you take the van, let the staff know what you are driving an they will put you in a stand which has good access.

And don't think you are getting a bad stand. The best stand our group had was literally 75 yards off of the main gravel road running through the park. He shot 2 does and saw deer on every sit.

As far as exotics, there are some stragglers there but I wouldn't go there hoping to shoot one. They are definitely a bonus if one shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by winslowboy View Post
                                almost all of the stands are just off of well maintained gravel roads. A guy next blind down from us was driving a minivan. If you take the van, let the staff know what you are driving an they will put you in a stand which has good access.

And don't think you are getting a bad stand. The best stand our group had was literally 75 yards off of the main gravel road running through the park. He shot 2 does and saw deer on every sit.

As far as exotics, there are some stragglers there but i wouldn't go there hoping to shoot one. They are definitely a bonus if one shows up.
                                thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X