Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bare shaft tuning/ sight is maxed- out

2010 Elite Judge

Carbon Tech Cheetahs 55/80-300s (I’ve been shooting these for 5+ years)

100 grain field points (broadheads as well)

Spot Hogg Saturday Night Special release.

I shot for the first time in months today and was shooting field points to right of bullseye. The Copper John sight is adjusted as far as it goes towards the riser. So, I adjusted my Ripcord Code Red rest a little left. Arrows hitting now where I’m aiming now.

I shot a bare shaft a few times to compare, and it’s hitting 5 inches left, entering at angle with nock to right of the tip.

To move the rest to the right (to correct bare shaft results) , my pin will need to move right- but it’s max adjusted.

One solution would be to put washers between the sight and riser to gain some adjustment distance.

Another would be to change arrows/ tips and broadheads. Not what I want to do.

A third is to bring it to the pro shop who tuned it the last time (nicely done) and say “tune it again, Sam”.

Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your center shot has to be off. I can’t remember if that bow has binary cam system. If it does not maybe some yoke tuning. Not a big fan of bare shaft tuning

Comment

Could be the way your gripping the bow causing consistent bad torque... it could be that the cams are out SYNC... if that isn't the case the cams could need to be shimmed by a shop or you if you have a press. I normally broadhead tune my bows and don't worry about bareshaft or paper tuning. If you shoot a broadhead at 30 and follow it up with a fieldpoint the goal is to get them at least within a half inch group. Good luck.

Comment

Typically if any one component is maxed out or even close there is a bigger issue. If it’s a grip issue then bare shaft tuning is a waste of time (usually is anyway)

Comment

Thanks. I think I’ll pay somebody to check the bow (dual cam) and get it set up.

Comment

Very possible it was your grip. Especially first time shooting in months

Comment

Check timing on the bow at the shop, then tune it to your shooting. Someone can tune your bow, but it’s tuned to them, not you. If your bare shaft is hitting the target left of your fletched arrow with the nock towards the fletched arrow, your rest needs to move left. Move it out in 1/16” increments until it lands flush in the target at 20 yards.

Comment

Need to check the cam timing and rest center shot. The Judge (I miss mine) isn't a yoke tuned bow, it's shimed.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                  Very possible it was your grip. Especially first time shooting in months

I understand. But with my fletched arrows I was shooting good groups at 30.

I’m dropping it off tomorrow for a tune-up. I’m at the phase of life (retired) that I’d rather pay a few bucks and let a pro get it set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

I’m dropping it off tomorrow for a tune-up. I’m at the phase of life (retired) that I’d rather pay a few bucks and let a pro get it set up.

Time for an upgrade! It's a great bow.....but you owe it to yourself to shoot the new Elites!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

Just know that a shop can put your bow in spec regarding timing, center shot, ATA and so forth but only you can tune your bow. No one has hands like you, no one has form like you, no one can shoot your bow like you. If I handed you my bow to shoot I would bet 100 bucks the bare shaft would not fly true as it does when I shoot it. Also, if your arrow is nock right you would move rest to the left, not the right.
                      Last edited by Duckologist; 05-07-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                        Just know that a shop can put your bow in spec regarding timing, center shot, ATA and so forth but only you can tune your bow. No one has hands like you, no one has form like you, no one can shoot your bow like you. If I handed you my bow to shoot I would bet 100 bucks the bare shaft would not fly true as it does when I shoot it. Also, if your arrow is nock right you would move rest to the left, not the right.

X2. I’m not sure where people got the idea that some pro at a shop can tune their bow for them. It’s not like sighting in a rifle.

Comment

When I pick it up, I’ll take a few shots through paper. Once again showing all my archery technique faults.

Thank you for your comments and advice!

Comment

Working...
                          X